Does the guitar choice affect your songwriting?

Chordite

• Members

Nope. Guitar choice can't effect my songwriting. Because my process is very different to what most people apparently do.

I write based on a melody/lyric that come to me, internally. I don't jam on guitar (or any instrument) and then try to build a riff into a song or add lyrics to it.

I write the whole song in my head, without reference to any instrument. The lyrics go down to paper as I go, once I've determined that I have an idea worth running with.

Once the whole lyric is written out, or at least the vast majority of it, then I pick up a guitar and figure out the chords to accompany the melody I've been imagining for the song. The lyics are never just written as poetry and then a melody is constructed to fit the lyric. Melody and lyric are always of a piece.

Since I sing the melody I've been imagining, and then figure out the guitar to match, the advantage to this approach is that I don't write a song I can't sing. This has always been my process because it works best for me, but it's become all the more necessary after having to re-learn how to sing twice. First after having throat cancer and multiple treatments (chemo, radiation, surgery) that affected my already paltry vocal abilities, and then a second time after my jaw broke down (after-effects of radiation, years later) and it and my neck (more after-effects of radiation) had to be rebuilt.

be58507029deeceb46eb842b21e41aa1.thumb.jpg.4f89f75e0c6a39e97adaf32bf7c5ee56.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry as well...I know that doesn't help much.While elucidating, or recording those painful lessons learned..Via music or lyrics, doesn't dull that particular pain...It can help you understand the dynamics..If not now then later....These experiences are the Rosetta Stone of your life

Archived