MIDI sequencing live?

• Members

What sort of parts will you be using the MIDI sequencer for? Are they percussive, requiering precise timing (but easier to follow), or are they more legato like keyboard washes?

The Yamaha MFC10 I referred to earlier can be programmed to output MIDI note numbers. Multiple notes can be assigned to a single button so you can play chords - in fact, the MFC10 comes from the factory programmed to play the opening riff from Van Halen's "Jump."

Wedges won't work for a cue feed. At bare minimum the drummer (and / or conductor) will need a headset (or IEMs) and a click track in order for the orchestra to remain in sync with the sequencer (regardless of what sequencer you use), and you really don't want the audience to hear the click via the wedges / floor monitors.

Also, it's important to know whether the drummer is experienced and comfortable with playing with a click before deciding to proceed.

• Members
Wedges won't work for a cue feed. At bare minimum the drummer (and / or conductor) will need a headset (or IEMs) and a click track in order for the orchestra to remain in sync with the sequencer (regardless of what sequencer you use), and you really don't want the audience to hear the click via the wedges / floor monitors.

Also, it's important to know whether the drummer is experienced and comfortable with playing with a click before deciding to proceed.

This is how we do it. The band all use IEM and I run the click out on a different channel from my interface to the sound company who in turn plays it back to us in the monitors only.

• Members

We have feeds available if someone wants to run their own IEM, but there's no budget to provide them.

Every sequenced part has at least one percussive key line (harpsichord or equivalent playing steady repetitive rhythms) that runs throughout the piece or drops out partway through. Beyond that it's either percussion or loose wash FX. They are VERY easy to follow (easier than trying to stay with a pianist who won't watch the baton - my personal pet peeve).

The pit group is quite good, and even n the first read-through they were following my conducted timing.

We have feeds available if someone wants to run their own IEM, but there's no budget to provide them.

Every sequenced part has at least one percussive key line (harpsichord or equivalent playing steady repetitive rhythms) that runs throughout the piece or drops out partway through. Beyond that it's either percussion or loose wash FX. They are VERY easy to follow (easier than trying to stay with a pianist who won't watch the baton - my personal pet peeve).

The pit group is quite good, and even n the first read-through they were following my conducted timing.

If parts of the sequence come in and out, there's just no practical way to stay in sync without someone referencing a continuous click track - and if you have that running through the wedges at a level loud enough for the conductor and / or musicians to hear and reference, there's a very good chance the audience will hear it too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Redux:

I gave up on sequencing and we just used recorded tracks. Drummer is nailing it with a wedge - he has this skill set from past experience. Bass has in-ears, as well.

We opened last night to really good audience response, and the production staff is 100% happy with the pit musicians. 8 more shows in 3 venues....

Archived