Boy, what a difference an amp and sub makes!

• Members

I know this will seem pretty basic to most of you guys here, but damn! When I played a gig last Saturday with my new QSC GX-3 power amp and Yamaha SW118V, all I can say is wow! :eek::thu:

The band I left in January had some old 3-way Peavey Concert Speakers from 1989 (the 250 lb. jobbies). People would often complain to me that our vocals sounded muddy and that we didn't have enough bass or 'kick' (low end) to them, which was probably right. I tried to convince the bass player/PA owner to bring in bass bottoms or subs as well, but he insisted we didn't need them.

I guess I got used to that sound. :facepalm:

So, it's been over a year since I played a gig with my own PA system (February 2010). For that gig, I had my Yamaha Club speakers and my EMX512SC powered mixer, but I also rented two SM12Vs, a Yamaha P5000 power amp and an SW118V subwoofer. I didn't hook it up right, though. I just put the bass guitar and kick drum through my little submixer and into the sub and everything else (vocals, guitar, rest of the drums) into the powered mixer. It sounded pretty good, but it was a bit boomy, most likely because the kick and bass guitar higher frequencies were lost.

Last Saturday night, I played an mp3 player through the QSC GX-3 into my Yamaha tops and bottom and I was amazed at the clarity. I could hear it throughout the entire bar and it didn't sound much different, no matter where I stood. Once we actually started playing our instruments through the system, it sounded even better.

Consider me one very happy QSC customer! Thanks for the recommendations to everyone on the board here, especially agedhorse. :)

• Members

I know this will seem pretty basic to most of you guys here, but damn! When I played a gig last Saturday with my new QSC GX-3 power amp and Yamaha SW118V, all I can say is wow!
:eek::thu:

The band I left in January had some old 3-way Peavey Concert Speakers from 1989 (the 250 lb. jobbies). People would often complain to me that our vocals sounded muddy and that we didn't have enough bass or 'kick' (low end) to them, which was probably right. I tried to convince the bass player/PA owner to bring in bass bottoms or subs as well, but he insisted we didn't need them.

I guess I got used to that sound.
:facepalm:

So, it's been over a year since I played a gig with my own PA system (February 2010). For that gig, I had my Yamaha Club speakers and my EMX512SC powered mixer, but I also rented two SM12Vs, a Yamaha P5000 power amp and an SW118V subwoofer. I didn't hook it up right, though. I just put the bass guitar and kick drum through my little submixer and into the sub and everything else (vocals, guitar, rest of the drums) into the powered mixer. It sounded pretty good, but it was a bit boomy, most likely because the kick and bass guitar higher frequencies were lost.

Last Saturday night, I played an mp3 player through the QSC GX-3 into my Yamaha tops and bottom and I was amazed at the clarity. I could hear it throughout the entire bar and it didn't sound much different, no matter where I stood. Once we actually started playing our instruments through the system, it sounded even better.

Consider me one very happy QSC customer! Thanks for the recommendations to everyone on the board here, especially agedhorse.
:)

The two best things my band did to improve our sound was get subs and IEMs.

• Members

The two best things my band did to improve our sound was get subs and IEMs.

IEMs are definitely in my future as well. I don't want to skimp on the quality for those, though, so I will look into getting them when I can afford them. My guitarist and I have been talking about them (he used them before when he filled in with different bands).

• Members

Start a small sound company... That way at least you can write off your purchases

Or not. Check into insurance costs first, as well as the liklihood of earning a profit after a couple of years to avoid an audit. Also it complicates your tax returns, so, if you are filing on your own right now it may or may not add the cost of hiring an accountant.

• Members

QSC really knocked it out of the park with the GX line. AWESOME power/weight ratio, built in limiting and crossover at a very affordable price.

Yep. I power the band PA with a GX5, using the 100hz crossover, and love it.

Yamaha subs and C115V tops.

• Members

The GX series lacks the switchable 30/50hz HPF of the RMX series and I have to agree with AH that subwoofers tend to suffer damage more from over-excursion than thermal damage and you really should have a proper HPF set if you're going to be running them up near their limits. The lack of this is my main dislike of the GX series :(. As monitor amps I'd find their lack of 2 ohm capability limiting as well - but I'd love their 100hz HPF for that :) ...

• Members

As monitor amps I'd find their lack of 2 ohm capability limiting as well - but I'd love their 100hz HPF for that
:)

Or not. Unlike Peavey and Yamaha amps with internal filters, the GX crossover automatically puts one side on high and the other on low. I suspect then under 100 side would make for a pretty dark monitor mix. :-)

• Members
Or not. Unlike Peavey and Yamaha amps with internal filters, the GX crossover automatically puts one side on high and the other on low. I suspect then under 100 side would make for a pretty dark monitor mix. :-)

Oops, yah - that's a bit "sub-optimal", ain't it :( .

• Members
Just think how happy you'd be with an amp supplying more than 300 watts to the sub.

It''s really only a 300w sub. The next size up amp (GX-5, RMX2450) would get you to 500w which is living dangerously :freak:. IMO a second sub would be a better next step than overpowering that one.

• Members

Are you saying I could actually power both mains (S115Vs) off of Channel 2 and add another sub, powering *two* subs off of Channel 1? Wouldn't that tax the amp a bit? :confused:

I was thinking of doing that with a GX-5 or GX-7 in the future (when I buy another sub), but obviously, I don't want to wreck anything, especially since the tops are only 2 years old and the sub is brand new.

• Members

Rrreally?

"Excellent..." (touches fingertips together ala Montgomery Burns)

I see another sub in my future in a few months (after I pay myself back for purchasing what I have recently).

Any recommendations for a good monitor amp for my SM12Vs?

Archived