Feedback eliminators. Any good?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
At least I don't have to worry about it anymore since my PA has been sold.

Congrats on kicking your addiction :D . It gives the rest of us hope that we can someday say "screw it" and just play and not care if it sounds like arse out front and let some other OCD'er worry about it :freak: .

• Members

My only experience was with the Behringer units. I had three of them that I used for a few years with somewhat dismal results. Eventually went to Peavey EQ's with FLS. Life got much easier. Can't speak about the Sabine or DBX units but they would have to be better. Still, the best advice you got concerned gain structure, speaker placement, mic selection, etc...Follow those rules and you most likely won't be worried about feedback.

• Members

Still, the best advice you got concerned gain structure, speaker placement, mic selection, etc...Follow those rules and you most likely won't be worried about feedback.

Again ... "gain structure" has zero to do with feedback.

• Members

Congrats on kicking your addiction
:D
. It gives the rest of us hope that we can someday say "screw it" and just play and not care if it sounds like arse out front and let some other OCD'er worry about it
:freak:

My addiction was kicked for me!

I still have 'issues' when I got out and listen to live music or watch others provide/run sound. I am always checking out gear and how they're mixing etc. Thinking, maybe one day I'll have cool gear again and I can get back out there. :)

Johnny

• Members

So if you think I'm just being an A-hole, you wouldn't be the first.

Semantics would be one thing ... but "gain" and "gain structure" are two entirely different processes. Since you never know who is reading the thread and what their take is, I think this needs to be pointed out so no one forms the wrong opinion.

"Gain" is simple magnification of the signal, just making it stronger/louder.

"Gain Structure" is the balancing of devices relative to each other so that they work together to their greatest possibilities. There is nothing implied here about how strong/loud the final product is.

Feedback is a simple process once you understand what is happening. Feedback is always caused by the same reason and that reason is too much gain. In a perfect world if the sound from the speaker comes back into a mic at the same level as it went into the mic in the first place the system goes into feedback. This level is called "unity". This does not have to be "average" level (the level you hear), it can be any single frequency. The first instance of feedback is always a single frequency. In the real world you are generally lucky to reach half of "unity" before feedback occurs.

The quality of your equipment to a point and it's placement on a stage are big factors of course. But I did a lot of measurement a couple of weeks ago for a paper I'm writing and have come to the conclusion that ceiling height and distance to the back wall are probably the major limiting factor to feedback than simple equipment quality when considering a vocalist's mic and a wedge monitor in front of him (and total gain of course). What I found out was doing things right and doing them pretty much stupid wrong made little difference because the level bouncing off the ceiling and the back wall seemed to set off feedback the same in either case. This was not on a tiny stage either. Stage was 26' wide by 16' deep and the ceiling height was 15' above the stage floor. If the room were a club it would hold about 300 people or more. If you play in smaller venues than this the effect will be magnified.

• Members

I used to own a Sabine FBX and used it on monitors. this was in the early 90's and it only had nine filters and we only ran vocals in our monitors. I loved it. I could really increase the volume of the monitors. Now that I am playing again I want to get a DBX AFS 224 so I can use it on 2 different monitor mixes.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Like I have always stated, a 31 band EQ is any sound person's best friend. I think someone has state something like this in an earlier post on this thread. I just wanted to alliterate the fact.

• Members

Like I have always stated, a 31 band EQ is any sound person's best friend. I think someone has state something like this in an earlier post on this thread. I just wanted to alliterate the fact.

Or worst enemy ifthey don't know how to use it and aren't willing to learn.

Archived