buying used amps

mbengs1

• Moderators

aplles and oranges, though...wha tyou do in the studio is never the same as wat you do in a live situation. Studio absorber is great...but honestly, most recording studios I've been in over the last 20 years run low wattage amps under 50W. Clean headroom is great, but there is a point of diminishing returns, and the fact that you use pedals in order to achieve the sound of natural overdrive confounds your argument.

I do agree that a Fender Twin will be far cleaner at its max volume than any valve Marshall...

and you could add a buffer to your pedal chain to minimize the signal degradation; you are not only losing volume, you are essentially leaving a broad spectrum of the signal behind.

• Moderators

what you want is a Twin Reverb...100W, 2x12, ice-pick-y to the 10....but really, find a drummer who won't be deaf before he's 40...then again, if your drummer has to play THAT LOUD, he probably is already losing his hearing.

• Moderators

which is what i look for in amps. a great clean sound that stays clean even at high volumes. clean sound that gets as loud as a loud drummer at least. i want to get my distortion and overdrive sounds only from the pedals, no power tube distortion.

Thinking about this part of your post...you really do not want a tube amp at all. You should get a powered speaker with a 1000-1200W class D amp. Oh, it won't look as impressive as a stack, but it will give you what you are looking for. You may want an EQ pedal in your chain since most of those speakers are very flat response

• Members

headroom is the important thing here. i want to turn up to gig volume without any or minimal power amp overdrive. it should remain pretty clean. that way i can get a good clean tone from the same amp just by switching off the distortion and turning on the chorus. its a simple requirement but important. but of course i can use two amps and use an a/b pedal, one set for high gain and another set for crystal sparkly clean.

• Moderators

Which is why I suggested a powered speaker...1000-1200W should be plenty of clean headroom. This is what many keyboard players I know [and work with] have gone to, both for the power and the non-coloration; basically, you are playing through half of a PA.

• Members

I have quite a few amps, and the only one I bought new is one that I sold after a short time. Some of the used amps have had some minor problems, but for those that did, I knew about the trouble before I made the purchase. The amp I bought new was online and I had no chance to play it before I bought it. While I agree that most musicians are trustworthy with regard to gear they are selling, I would not buy another amp, new or used, without trying it out. I use amps for both bass and electric guitar. I know what sound I like, and I think there can be variations in the sound of even identical amps, so I want to play through the amp before I buy it.

• 4 weeks later...

The last amp I purchased was a early 70s Fender Princeton - I found it in a local pawn shop for eighty bucks. I have considerably more than that into it now, but it's probably worth twice what I spent on it including new parts and a new speaker for it. If I hadn't been able to diagnose and repair / update / restore it myself, that would definitely not be the case. If you're experienced and knowledgeable when it comes to electronics and working on amps, used amps are definitely a good way to go... if not, I'd only recommend them if you know they're in good shape, you have a good local tech who you trust, and/or the store has a refund / return policy to cover you in case you find you don't like it after all or have issues with it.

• Members
The last amp I purchased was a early 70s Fender Princeton - I found it in a local pawn shop for eighty bucks. I have considerably more than that into it now' date=' but it's probably worth twice what I spent on it including new parts and a new speaker for it. If I hadn't been able to diagnose and repair / update / restore it myself, that would definitely not be the case. If you're experienced and knowledgeable when it comes to electronics and working on amps, used amps are definitely a good way to go... if not, I'd only recommend them if you know they're in good shape, you have a good local tech who you trust, and/or the store has a refund / return policy to cover you in case you find you don't like it after all or have issues with it.[/quote']

I paid $250 for mine and thought that was a good deal. I added a Jensen P10R for $100 and have re-tubed it a few times. The only repair I had to do was replace the filter cap for the negative bias supply (have to be careful with the polarity on that one).

• Members

I think buying a used amp is more practical since amp technology is pretty old and its easy to have a tube amp fixed by my tech. but i might buy a brand new amp in the future. maybe a peavey 6505. any head with a good clean channel as well as lead channel.

• Members
I think buying a used amp is more practical since amp technology is pretty old and its easy to have a tube amp fixed by my tech. but i might buy a brand new amp in the future. maybe a peavey 6505. any head with a good clean channel as well as lead channel.

It is old. As long as you can find what you want and you don't have to pump much money it to it, I say go for it.

Oh and they don't screw you over on shipping.

I tend to buy new amps, without issues and take care of them the way I want. I like the option to be able to send something back, if I am not super happy with my purchase. However, by the time I am ready to put down the $$$, I am pretty certain, what I want. I sent back one amp about 15 years ago.

Archived