Lord, Forgive Me...I Have Sinned, and Played Ukulele Parts

Anderton

• Members

It may not be perfect, but it's a Ukulele....

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=satch%20boogie%20on%20uke&sm=1

Recently I used an eightstring uke to add some colour to a rhythm track on a coutry-esk song , because I have no mandolin. Turned out to sound pretty cool.

Ps: I hope, it is allowed to put links to YouTube vids in posts/comments. If not, I apoligize!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I took a wrong turn a few years ago and ended up in a senior citizens (I'm starting to resemble one") recreation center strumming chords on a uke for tunes like "Five Foot Two, Eyes Are Blue". After a year, I couldn't take it anymore. My roots are firmly in surf.

[video=youtube;Q-VWdPGGTT8]

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Hey Daddymack - are you sure about those tunings? My soprano was tuned CGEA and I thought tenors were too, with only baritones tuned differently. But it also seems that "alternate tunings" are common.

C G E A is what they call 'concert' tuning', and has become the 'common' tuning, but the 'standard', and how I was taught in Hawaii, is A D F# B. I don't have a problem either way, but I find the 'ring' in the A-B tuning very pleasant...YMMV...and since the two tunings are only one step apart, I can play either way, transposing in my head.

An explanation from some expert:

http://www.get-tuned.com/how-to-tune-the-ukulele.php

• CMS Author

C G E A is what they call 'concert' tuning', and has become the 'common' tuning, but the 'standard', and how I was taught in Hawaii, is A D F# B.

I guess C-G-E-A is "my dog has fleas" tuning. Does the A-D-F#-B have a high first string as well?

• Moderators

yes, the standard has the high A string first...although I have tuned my acoustic/electric Les Paul ukelele to standard with a low A, as it sounds better amplified.

The tuning is essentially the same relationship as the D G B E strings on a guitar, making the chord shapes easy to nail...

• 1 month later...

Archived