Gig desaster: powermixer blows up at soundcheck

• Members

Can't explain it: the singer's acoustic guitar was plugged to a channel and wasn't loud enough (didn't have pre-amp between guitar and mixer) so I try pushing that button that says +4db/-10db to see if it changes the gain... KNACK! big loud noise in the speakers and the house breaker goes out. Put the breaker back on... Mixer is dead, won't turn on. :freak:

We plugged the keyboard on a small monitor and played acoustic the whole gig...

I brought it to the store to check out and it's more than the fuse. Someting's broken and will be sent for (hopefully) repair.

Can someone tell me what the hell happened? Did I break that thing pushing that button?

• Members

that button should not have caused that! it maybe a coincidence.

first, exactly what mixer and exactly how did you have it hooked up? be specific.

Powermixer is a LD Systems LAX12DA. The channel that I pushed the +4/-10db button had an acoustic guitar with a piezo without a preamp so the signal was weak although the fader was all the way up. Unfortunately, I didn't think of lowering the fader before trying to push that button to increase the level.

• Members

Another product with the words "professional" in their description. Ugh.

This is the kind of stuff that happens with lower grades of equipment, there's less latitude for tolerating abuse of "mis-step". There's a reason why they are cheaper than more robust solutions.

Maybe it can be repaired.

• Members

The fact the breaker blew sound like something shorted out. Under normal conditions it would difficult to pop a breaker with a mixer like that, especially if you were just sound checking an acoustic guitar. BTW, I've never seen a powered mixer with a shoulder strap. What the heck?

The description on a website I found it on kills me.....

The ld Systems lax12da mixer has a natural sound* with outstanding parameters and optimal user-friendliness as well as maximum dependability in day-to-day operation on the road. This makes it the perfect, affordable solution for a broad range of applications. Whether live on stage, home/project recording or installations of all kinds such as community centres, churches, and bars/bistros, the lax12da offers the right solution for many applications. Continuous on-site quality control according to iso9001 ensures high dependability and high quality.

*Yep, that does sound natural..... Like an unamplified acoustic guitar. Seriously though, just like if "Pro" is in the name, if the description mentions dependability twice.... run away. Overcompensating via marketing is a tell that that product is likely the exact opposite of the description.

• Members

Just a guess here, but when you hit the button, either the button failed and shorted something or the sudden 14dB increase in gain caused the amp to go into failure from feedback or excessive power resulting in failure.

Check speakers first, then check mixer's line-level outputs for signal, then test the powered outs on the mixer with a known good (and disposable) speaker of some sort.

• Members

Interesting.

My understanding of ISO9001 suggest adherence to ISO9001 standards has nothing to do with producing dependable and high quality products specifically, rather ISO9001 has more to do with consistency in production... be it producing a consistently dependable and high quality product or a consistently undependable and low quality product... it's all about consistency.

And, I suggest that if one example of said product blows up by pushing a button, if the product is constructed in accordance to ISO9001 standards, then to be faithful to the standard, all of them should blow-up by pushing the button under the same circumstances. ;)

• Members

It's interesting that a single report of a failure in a piece of equipment can cause such criticism. This might actually be a pretty good piece of hardware, and just this one unit had an issue. Unfortunately, now it could get a bad rap. I think what will tell the rest of the story is how the manufacturer handles the repair (if under warranty). You can find reports of high-end hardware that is very highly regarded having failures. Nothing is ever 100%, its how the company backs up the product that counts.

I guess I'm just saying not to write this mixer off because of this one post. I always do my homework before buying any gear.

• Members

It's interesting that a single report of a failure in a piece of equipment can cause such criticism. This might actually be a pretty good piece of hardware, and just this one unit had an issue. Unfortunately, now it could get a bad rap. I think what will tell the rest of the story is how the manufacturer handles the repair (if under warranty). You can find reports of high-end hardware that is very highly regarded having failures. Nothing is ever 100%, its how the company backs up the product that counts.

I guess I'm just saying not to write this mixer off because of this one post. I always do my homework before buying any gear.

Yes, perhaps, but it's also likely that based on what the product is and how it's marketed, it's not in the high end, high reliability part of the market either. Without other experiences to the contrary, it's the impression that is left.

• Members

Sure, there could be many causes of the failure. My "criticism" was, at least in part, tongue-in-cheek. That said, IMO, a company that markets their goods as uber dependable, and at the same time drives home how cheap it is, invites this sort of scrutiny. It's also available for sale next to nowhere. So you have a relatively unknown brand in the "race to the bottom" space focusing their marketing efforts shoving dependability down your throat. Sorry marketing guys... you reap what you sow.

Archived