things are a little bit slow around here

Tony Burns

• Members

Yeah - that one gets old. Usually like:

Q: I just started learning. Will a $2000 Maton sound $1800 better than a $200 one?

A: No. In your hands they'll sound equally bad and the expensive one will actually highlight your flaws.

Q: So there's no difference? That's what I thought.

A: No, I meant...

Q: Are you changing your tune?

A: Sigh..

• Members

But people talk. Even the "stupidity" isn't discouraged, people are generally helpful, a few are discouraging but overlooked. There seems to be no bad topics. People, no matter their level or choice of guitar, are, for their most part,taken seriously.

• Members

Can someone be bigoted towards people with attitude? I hope not. Everyone I know displays it. It's one of those human things that defines us, good or bad, but no one is ever without it. Even you, Neal, are using it as a (double-edged) sword in this thread.

But, you're right. Conversation killer is exactly what this forum is about because, as we have determined before in similar topic dialogue, we've covered the realm of acoustic guitar here for about 18 years. I doubt someone here still feels it's fresh enough to get all dimples about. But, it will continue to be that way and as long as there's time to kill this forum can do that.

The members at other forums are pretty danged sappy and most of it is about the usual gotta-have-guitars versus gotta-have-music. Most of those cats are hodaddies lavishing word upon word about the virtues of sound boxes they have no inkling about how to play well enough to qualify those words. So, on it goes and few actually have what it takes to be basic players much less musicians (players who sight-read...doh!).

I think an "emptiness in harmony" (Paul Simon - Homeward Bound) is what on-topic is all about, anyway.

• Members

I was definitely being condescending, but that's one of my pet peeves and most forums spend a lot of time arguing about it. "I played 10 different guitars and the cheapest one..."

Guitar + Player = Sound

Some people drive Toyotas better than they can drive a Ferrari. Every missed shift and poor cornering technique are amplified.

Some will claim that driving a Ferrari is a stupid waste of money even if they could afford it, but have never experienced being an amazing driver pushing one near the limits flawlessly. (FWIW neither have I - I'm an average driver with a sedan.)

Archived