I'm pretty excited about this guitar - Yamaha content

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

The whole vibe about this and it's more economically priced cousins, this one is MIJ, the next one down in MII, is very cool, not trying to copy anybody, a sort of reworking of the old Yamaha SG with an even older take on headstock of the older models like the 60s SA30.

hP6301793.jpg

P63017611.jpg

P63017431.jpg

P63017251.jpg

There's a few good background videos out there, but this one from Soren Anderson is cool

[video=youtube;s2CsOP7VrxY]

• Members

Last week I saw my first RevStar in the flesh, and thought it was horrible (it was a 5 series). Really just an instrument with little to recommend it - average in lots of ways, and no life.

Which is strange, as I was alllllllll excited when they were announced. Tell me more about yours.

• Members

Yamaha makes great guitars. I'm forever getting old Yamaha's in my shop that have been in a closet for many years. I'm setting them up set up bringing new life to an old instrument for a new family member to learn on, and the necks stay put, hardware is well made.Electric or acoustic, they seem to be well made

I did get to handle this model at namm, and I was very impressed at the options and styling. The next generation should get some great tones out of them.

• Members

Sad to say I'm in with BP, with the exception of 1 of the 4 I was able to experience. It was nice, had a good fretboard feel. I didn't plug it in, because it was $599, and honestly that's kind of a non-starter given how un-special the rest was.

Looks like Yamaha marketing is out-performing engineering on this one.

• Members

Since I first saw the Revstars come out, I've definitely been GAS'n for the model with the flame top, Gretsch-style p'ups and Bigsby. But the pricing, at around $1K turns me off for a MII.

If I ever see a good blow-out on one, I'll pull the trigger. I actually own a Yamaha SA503 TVL, and even though it's MII, I think it's build is very very good. And it's far . far . . superior to my Epi Riveria P-93, but at a MSRP of $1K I would not have been able to muster myself to take the plunge, but when they were blown out at $399 I was all in.

I'm keeping my eye out for a blow-out deal on my Revstar model.

Archived