Acoustic Music Thread

tbry

• Members

It seems to me after reading this, that the only "problem" with acoustic music according to...some..is that it isn't Neil Young, Don Maclean, in other words, it's not out of a certain generation.

I can empathize, no one, NO ONE, could be Southern rock/blues like the Allman Bros. All those pretenders like Skynard, etc., held no candles.

But they did. Hold candles, I mean. All these acoustic acts presented are excellent. And I appreciate Skynard.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I heard a guy name Niall Horan the other day. I liked him, so I looked him up and he was a member of One Direction. I didn't know that, cause I don't listen to any of their music.

I saw Langhorn Slim with a full band, he put of a great show. Super high energy

[video=youtube;6tQX4tl-Xps]

Steve Earle I see every time he comes to town. I have also see his son Justin about 3 times.

Jackie Green puts on a hell of an acoustic show, as well as a full band performance. He's on the road constantly in one form or another.

Edwin McCain was great live .

Glen Phillips is killer in concert. He played in Toad The Wet Sprocket for years and the took a break. His solo work is really nice.

One of my fav older songs by Glen.

• Members

America - Horse With No Name ('72) - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPaSDpJhqY0

Their first two albums releases were almost identical. The second added this song. I have them both. These guys were the basic acoustic band. All were US military brats from the same base in England, got it together there and brought it to the States. Always liked their sound and style, though Dewey Bunnel's lyrics sometimes had me head scratching.

• Members

Pat Donohue, formerly of "A Prairie Home Companion," is primarily a guitarist but he has a decent voice and is a very good songwriter as well. Here he is in concert:

While I was looking for vids of Pat Donohue, I found this cover of one of his songs by the David Thom Band (be warned, here be banjos):

[video=youtube;sa8p-UQl_dg]

• Members

Mikeo likes banjo...check. If it was used without the resonator, accompanied without drowning everything else out, did not sound like rubber bands snapping against a snare drum head and was strung up with nylon I'd be okay with it ...I think, maybe, if I heard it first, under water.

• Members

[video=youtube;2-zTjrEQNdo]

I had the pleasure years ago seeing Will Hoge in a small club. Amazing. He like many others has written countless song for others. Some big hits. He wrote String used in the Chevy Truck Commercial. This one was a biggie for the Eli Young band. Will's acoustic version is better IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T48Z3lt8ADY

• Members

[video=youtube;2-zTjrEQNdo]

Small world...he is friends with Jeff Berkley of Berkley Hart.

Forgot about Todd Snider...he is good.

I had the pleasure years ago seeing Will Hoge in a small club. Amazing. He like many others has written countless song for others. Some big hits. He wrote String used in the Chevy Truck Commercial. This one was a biggie for the Eli Young band. Will's acoustic version is better IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T48Z3lt8ADY

• Members

I think the scene combusted in the late 70's and was laid to rest. What we have now is a resurgence that has not quite broken any identity records with an audience in transition. Had I not been part of the former I might be more impartial. If I can put a perspective on it, young people are now discovering the music of the 70s and bringing it into their playlists. This should spark some interest in current acoustic music.

I'm a sucker for well-played music but most of what I hear isn't. It's bedroom talent or techno-mangling for the most part. The former harkens back to the beginnings of the folk era, which I'm way past wanting to hear reprised, with a wait period for it to catch up to my ear telling me I'll be gone before it does. The latter, the Tommy Emmanuels, have pretty much compromised music and sacrificed it on the alter of the guitar gods.

The live stuff I hear isn't with great playing skill or vocal chops. I blame a lifetime of ear development, and personal demand on myself to be all I can, on my opinion. The fact that what I'm hearing represents people who have not worked hard enough at their craft to present themselves better bothers me. But, on the flip side, it also tells me there's a demand for that sound and I think that's great. Crawl, walk, run, the evolution revolution is beginning and that's enough for now.

In the period between the then and now people regrouped into the blues and made it a safe haven for the acoustic guitar. That wore me out. In a little town near me the blues is still ear-central. Can't abide that anymore. The open mic I play about every other week now has finally begun to slip away from it, eclectically, without a hint of objection. This is good.

Now, this paragraph is devoted to Neal...

Archived