Will you show me your fiberglass guitars?

u6crash

• Members

And tell me what you think of them. Are they too neck heavy? Do you love/hate the sound? Did you buy it off the shelf or build it from a kit? I don't recall that I've ever had the chance to play one, but I've always kind of been intrigued by them.

• Members

They are indeed tempting, but I'm not hungry enough for one to pay the collector prices for these vintage instruments. https://reverb.com/item/592243-national-newport-82-res-o-glass-map-1963-1965-red

I've been tempted to get the Eastwood Airline Map guitar, but of course they are now using chambered mahogany rather than resoglass.

But I could see someone going for a kit like you've listed (thanks for that info) or tracking down a deal on a vintage if they were going to make it frequent played guitar. For me, I've long wanted one, since they exude the "mid-century modern" stylings, but I'm still riding that fence since I think it would just end up being another occasional player for me. But that Eastwood MAP in seafoam green has a tractor beam pull on me, and if I did that, then how could I resist getting that little Ibanez TV amp to match. smiley-wink

• Members

Fibreglass =RESOglass... ok, gotcha....

Yes I have come to think of it. Danelectro did a prototype in the 60's, I worked on one, and hated it.

Airline map I worked on, and thought it had the least sustain of anything I ever worked on. The owner said it was normal.

And you mentioned Jack White.... Now I know why I hate his toneless playing. Thank you for that.

• Members

No.

I don't have one :(

Though I did meet Devin Townsend a few years ago after an acoustic set at the music shop I was working at. He played a carbon fibre guitar which had a very bright and crisp sound. I'm still in two minds as to whether I liked it or not.

Here I am with Devin and my sister, not at all looking typically shy and star struck.

292315_10150293076859593_513719592_7534093_251970_n.jpg

Archived