What's the first song you learned to play with a band?

thatsbunk

• Members

My younger brother is a world class drummer (think Steve Gadd) After struggling for a year to play right handed, he discovered, at 12 years old, that he's a left handed drummer - from that day on he was good, even great, at laying down a solid groove.

I just thought that if you played drums you were that good. I didn't realize how exceptional he was until he left to go to University when he was 17 and I tried to find another drummer.

There are some who don't appreciate what Richard Starkey did for The Beatles but I believe he contributed immensely to their success - those early records had a great feel to them - they actually recorded excitement.

• Members

"All I wanted was a Pepsi. & she wouldn't give it to me!

LOL...nice! It makes me happy people remember those guys.....

On a side note.....

Either of you remember the famous Hollywood Actor in this video?

[YOUTUBE]XDheLViZbrk[/YOUTUBE]

I stumbled across it a year or two ago and had no idea he was in the video! haha...

• Members

Chordite wrote: 'An under reported early joy, made me grin so much I almost forgot to keep playing LoL'. Yeah, I hear ya, lol, I think we've all experienced that spin out and then climbing back into the pocket. Seems like at some level it really is all about the rhythm and the vibes - Brian Wilson was onto something solid with Good Vibrations.

Onelife wrote: 'There are some who don't appreciate what Richard Starkey did for The Beatles but I believe he contributed immensely to their success - those early records had a great feel to them - they actually recorded excitement.'

I absolutely couldn't agree more. A guitarist's drummer for sure, rock steady and lot's of space to fill. But beyond that, I tire of rock star bands where, everyone exists so one guy can shine, be it a drummer, guitarist whatever. But you listen to somebody like early Beatles or Zombies etc., a consummate collective, and the whole really exceeds the sum of it's parts. (Thinking out loud).

In any event, think you're so lucky (maybe spoiled is a better word) coming up with a brother like that. Have you worked together since (musically)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Members

Way back when my friend and I were sharing lessons with hung over country player, tried teaching us "On top of old smokey" and such. We of course decided to make a band (after a fashion). I think first tunes were "Gloria" and "The Last Time": two for price of one, same 3 chord progression, leads the same to boot. He played lead because had difficulties with chords.... thankfully I have no tapes from then.

• Members

I was led to believe that I should be ashamed. Honestly, I quite enjoyed playing it. Yeah, the bass is repetitive but it's fun. I enjoyed it enough to suggest covering it with my next band, of which I was the guitarist. We made it our own by making it heavier to compensate for the two missing guitars (at that point, we had only one guitarist. We brought in a rhythm guitarist several months later, but he only learned about half of our set...), and at our first headline gig I got a little carried away and improvised a five minute solo jam as an outro... Lesson learned: One beer before going onstage and one beer during the set is enough to take the edge off my crippling anxiety and stage-fright. Five beers and I become unpredictable.

• Members

Shoot me now, but it was "Margaritaville". Let's just say, I had no control over the set list. That song's been boring the crap out of me since the late 70s. But have to admit, it was more fun playing it than listening to it. We had 2 guitar players and I got to take the lead. Whoopie! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Archived