Power amp suggestions for my speaker setup?

• Members

Hi guys...it's been a while!

Well...my current power amps are leaving with the (now former) bass player.

We're a 4 player band with bass player, drummer, lead guitar player, rhythm guitar/keyboard player.

The current setup (minus power) is as follows:

Peavey PV10 mixer

Yamaha Club S15IV mains

Yamaha Club 18 knockoff subs

Peavey PV15M monitors (2)

dbx 31 band stereo EQ

dbx crossover

T C Helicon Voice Correct XT (2)

I'd like to add another set of the PV monitors to replace the outgoing Yammy Club 12s.

What I had was one stereo amp powering the mains and a more powerful stereo amp powering the subs on one channel and (4) monitors on the other.

I'm thinking about the Peavey IPR, QSC GX or Crown XL series amps.

What would you guys suggest?

• Members

I like using an external crossover as the ones in the IPR, GX, and XL's don't have high pass filters to protect the subs :freak:. Otherwise I'm running all of the amps you mentioned in various rigs (mine and in a band I BE for) and they are all working fine. The GX are heavier than the others so I'd only go with them if you're buying used - otherwise the IPR's aren't any more expensive. Both the IPR3000 and the GX5 are fine sub amps.

• Members

OK, cool.

On a tangent, what about 4 ELX112P (2 main/2 mon) and 1 ELX118P sub vs. GX3/GX5 and the speakers above?

By the way, here's a current shot of the rehearsal space:

I think four ELX112P would be a good set up. If you are running bass and drums through the PA 1 ELX118P wouldn't be enough for a decent low end. At least need two of them!

Cheers

• Members

What if the guys in the band don't like the change? The guys with the S**ty monitors all of the sudden get too much and the the guys with the better monitors feel like the old stuff sounds better?

Going all active sounds like a great idea, can get rid of a centrally located amp rack.

• Members
Hi guys...it's been a while!

Well...my current power amps are leaving with the (now former) bass player.

We're a 4 player band with bass player, drummer, lead guitar player, rhythm guitar/keyboard player.

The current setup (minus power) is as follows:

Peavey PV10 mixer

Yamaha Club S15IV mains

Yamaha Club 18 knockoff subs

Peavey PV15M monitors (2)

dbx 31 band stereo EQ

dbx crossover

T C Helicon Voice Correct XT (2)

I'd like to add another set of the PV monitors to replace the outgoing Yammy Club 12s.

What I had was one stereo amp powering the mains and a more powerful stereo amp powering the subs on one channel and (4) monitors on the other.

I'm thinking about the Peavey IPR, QSC GX or Crown XL series amps.

What would you guys suggest?

who makes copies of Yam Clubs?

• Members

who makes copies of Yam Clubs?

Tough to say, they were from a local club who was having a new built-in sub array installed.

The cabs are painted ply and the drivers are Eminence/Yamaha OEM.

Here they are before fresh paint, carry handles and top-hats:

DSC00499.jpg

• Members
IF you're planning on still running 4 monitors off one channel (if I read your post correctly) I don't believe the GX series are rated for a 2ohm load. (assuming you're using 4-8ohm boxes)

Understood...I'll probably end up with 2 amp setup, either an IPR or GX, as agedhorse suggested.

• Members

I'd agree with aged: GX5 ch1 subs, ch2 tops. GX3 for 2 monitors per channel. You can do 2 mixes but it isn't required. For live this setup makes sense. For practice I'd ditch the mains altogether and use 4 mixes of wedges only. Let each person hear what they need. But I'd also set up in the round too where everyone can see eachother.

Archived