Getting good kick drum from Traps drum kit

• Members

Your bigger problem is a client who's an idiot. If he can't tell the difference between new heads and year-old heads, I'm going to guess he also can't tell the sonic difference between good technique and bad.

IOW, you're screwed. A good kick sound is all about good drums, good tuning, and good technique.

I never thought I'd say this, but use a trigger and save yourself the headache.

-Dan.

• Members

If they are quality heads and not all beat up, year old heads that are properly tuned might be ok and not the cause for the OP's problem.

What does your system consist of and what are you micing it with and what kind of music, and how loud and what kind of venues?

• Members

My Evans E-mad on my kick is over a year old. I use it on average about 4 times a month for full 4 hour gigs. Still plenty of life in the head. Before each gig both batter and resonant head get fined tuned after a check with the drum dial.

I love to tune drums and have become very proficient at it over the years. Most of the bands I run sound for have me tune their kits before the show. Sometimes they even pay me extra for the service. I was taught by the great Steve Gadd while attending the Eastman School of Music in Rochester NY.

• Members

I love to tune drums and have become very proficient at it over the years. Most of the bands I run sound for have me tune their kits before the show. Sometimes they even pay me extra for the service. I was taught by the great Steve Gadd while attending the Eastman School of Music in Rochester NY.

Care to share some tips... as best as could be expected considering the medium?

I own a backline trap kit (passible)... tuning it is a mystery to me (although I have some idea as to which end of a drumstick is designed to be held in the hand).

• Members

There are so many variables in tuning I wouldn't even no where to begin. It becomes intuitive after a while like any other musical endeavor. Bob G here is a true master at both tuning and drumming. His videos are great for people that already have an understanding and an appreciation for tuning.

• Members

I looked into a Traps kit at one point and, although the rest of the stock heads are acceptable, it was well documented, even by some Traps distributors, that the stock kick heads stink. REMO Powersonic or an Aquarian Super-Kick for the batter side head are some suggestions.

• Members

5 basic rules for tuning drums

1. Patience

2. Use thinner heads on resonant side of drum

3. Use heads designed for the style of music being played

4. Do not over tighten heads to seat the drum head. It takes time for the head to break in and will require more aggressive tuning during break in period.

5. Change heads if there is any sign of damage. Damage occurs from improper drumming technique(dimpled heads) or other physical trauma to the head.

• Members

I worked with a band for a few years that had a set of these.

http://www.upillar.com/listings/214969-purecussion-rims-technology

I thought they worked and sounded fine other than some kind of plastic mounting clips that kept breaking on them.

Had to put a pillow on the bass drum head to get that clasic rock sound which looked weird and moved around depending on the floor. Couldn't get thunder out of the bass drum but that was expected with a small / light kit. With a pillow and the mic dead center I could get enough low end and click.

Other than tuning it correctly how is the rest of the system? Mic,Pa?

Dookietwo

• Members

ATM 25 on kick, AT pro 25 on toms, Audix D1 on snare, Audix D4 on floor. IPR3000 into JBL M Pro400 1x18 4ohm (850 watts per cab) I use 2 or four cab depending on venue. Yammi High paks, 1x15 on poles or 2x15 on subs depending on the bands request for Look/sound. All classic/modern rock. No issues with other drum/band clients. His head is an upgrade over factory but not sure what it is. First several shows were good considering the drum is only maybe 5in deep. Now it has lost low end and has a crack sound, I dailed the high end out stopping that but looking for projection. Im thinking heads and tuning, just wanted to point him to others that may agree. Most of my other clients replace heads 2-3 times over this guys rate.

• Members

First several shows were good considering the drum is only maybe 5in deep. Now it has lost low end and has a crack sound,

I have to ask. Does the drum sound like this when your on stage? Something loose? Any chance the ATM 25 could have been damaged? It does happen.

PA sounds fine but the MPro subs are so/so at least to me anyway. So long as they are still good and I believe you said with other bands they are fine then that shouldn't be your problem.

Dookietwo

Edit: In regards to your subs. I work from time to time with a band that has a set of these they like to drag out and use.

http://www.jblpro.com/mpro/PDF/MP418SP.pdf

The amp section is 300 watts and they sound tubby and run out of steam pretty easy. Maybe with the IPR3000 you have yours come to life with that much power.

• Members

If you let your heads get as played and worn as the one in the clip, no tool is going to help much with getting good sound out of your drums in the long run. Rather than spend the money on (IMO a completely unnecessary tool, I'd suggest the person in the vid spend that dough instead on new heads.

• Members

First several shows were good considering the drum is only maybe 5in deep.

Wait a minute...the kick drum is 5" deep?

That's not a kick drum. At the very least, it's not really a drum that you can or should expect a full sound out of in the first place; a drum that shallow will ALWAYS have a predominance of attack, and minimal tone/depth. If you had that before...something else was causing it, and I suspect you weren't really hearing the drum.

• Members

Wait a minute...the kick drum is
5"
deep?

That's not a kick drum. At the very least, it's not really a drum that you can or should expect a full sound out of in the first place; a drum that shallow will ALWAYS have a predominance of attack, and minimal tone/depth. If you had that before...something else was causing it, and I suspect you weren't really hearing the drum.

http://monkeydrums.com/images/review-modern-drummer2.pdf

They really are not a bad sounding drum. They are designed to be portable and light. Using very little space in transport.

I got a pretty good bass drum sound out of the Purecussion band that were very close to the same.

Dookietwo

Archived