What kluson tuners for this 40's J45?

MBET

• Members

A distant relative just sold me his father's Gibson J45. The tuners are not original. I need you vintage experts to help me figure out which version of kluson tuners are correct.

I believe it is from late '45-'47 because it has the script decal (before '48) but lacks the "only a Gibson is good enough" banner (after mid '45).

Please correct me if you think I've dated it incorrectly.

It is a spruce top, mahogany back and sides, has a truss rod, and the narrow bridge.

Does it need open back kluson's with rivets? If you can post a pic of what the back of the tuners should look like I would appreciate it.

74E4A894-DC7B-454A-BA3C-55B0BF30ACCD_zpsnqssbhoz.jpg

9E8EAB8B-9359-486F-98CA-381FAF8E0CBE_zpsgvdvft8j.jpg

173A08AB-A473-48D6-9C5D-0EA7B2C0AF68_zpsdpiejlod.jpg

FE79D41E-89B5-4EA0-BB2C-D1A4BDF00F02_zpsfy8ogefs.jpg

F7F7030E-F8C3-46C7-AFEB-08C0FFDE0AF8_zpsoaaptnla.jpg

32F4E5DC-01FD-450E-ADE4-815E40D55356_zps0o6vknl6.jpg

• Members

Here's a pic courtesy of The Twelfth Fret:

fetch?filedataid=118031

Other early 40's J-45's appear to have the same tuners. Kluson apparently doesn't make them any more but StewMac sells non-Kluson replacements: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Golden_Age_Restoration_Tuners_for_Solid_Peghead_Guitar_with_Scallop-end.html.

Err' date=' biff the guitar and keep the tuners? Only thing worse than a Gibson acoustic is an old Gibson acoustic.[/quote']

:lol:

You're kidding, right? :lol: Have you ever even played a nice old Dove, J-200 or J45? I suppose people like Jeff Tweedy, Emmylou Harris, James Taylor, George Harrison and John Lennon, The Everly Brothers, Thom Yorke, Elvis, Sheryl Crowe and enough other artists that I could be here half the day naming them all use(d) Gibson acoustics because they have no musical value...

• Members
Err' date=' biff the guitar and keep the tuners? Only thing worse than a Gibson acoustic is an old Gibson acoustic.[/quote']

heh heh... i missed out on playing some fine instruments for a similar attitude about martins... firewood, kindlin' maybe because it wouldnt burn very long... funny, now my fave 12 in the stable is a 74 martin d12.

but i didnt find it until i stopped caring about labels. nudge nudge...

Archived