I'm thinking about refinishing my Bass VI

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Thanks Thud. :):o If I do it, I'll probably take a ton of pictures and may even do a write-up / article on DIY refinishing. I'll keep you posted. :wave:

Do you have any custom color suggestions?

Well I see you have a red one and a pink one. I can't tell in the pics because they come off differently, but the one is either a minty green or a light blue. So...You're missing a light blue or a surf green. :D

Also, purple or a banana yellow.

how about Sherwood Green

tumblr_o3f47nNsFX1tbuktoo1_1280.jpg

That's a very real possibility, except I don't like the shading I see in a lot of the "Sherwood" rattle cans. They don't quite look like that color to me... but if I could find that exact shade, it would definitely be one of the top contenders.

anyway, here's my JM before and after

before

08_MIJ_Jazzmaster.jpg

after

IMG_3242_zpswts9qpys.jpg

I fool myself to believe it sounds better, but it feels better, less sticky

very prone to buckle rash and dents

replaced the ketchup pickguard with a darker one

all in all, refin cost me less than 100$

alternatively, for your Bass VI, you could buy and put a finish on a USACG body and keep the sunburst body (or sell it, if you're certain not wanting to go back to sunburst). Or you could just put a finish straight on the poly, save the trouble

Very nice bieke - it's got that Elvis Costello vibe going on now. :philthumb:

• Members

Whatever you decide to do Phil, how about documenting it with a detailed thread. Show each step, the materials and tools that you used, and good close up pictures of the results. It might discourage others.

Being the wood slut that I am, I like natural finishes that show the beauty and grain of the wood. I like sunbursts, in part because I know how difficult they are to hand apply. When I see a painted guitar I know that most of the time they are hiding ugly wood. However a really good painter can get a pretty good solid color finish using automobile products - my friend who paints motorcycles has done some nice guitar finishes using the same products.

• Members

That's a very real possibility, except I don't like the shading I see in a lot of the "Sherwood" rattle cans. They don't quite look like that color to me... but if I could find that exact shade, it would definitely be one of the top contenders.

I also like the Sherwood a lot, this was originally a white Squier 6 that got refin and relic job at Relic'Art Guitares of France

transparent.giftransparent.gifIMG_4056.jpg

more pics here

http://www.relicartguitares.fr/RelicArt_Guitares/147.html#grid

All of those are exceptionally nice Freeman - but way beyond my modest skill level. :):o

I've done one relic finish, just to try it, and it turned out pretty good IMHO, but I'm generally not into the whole reliced thing. I have guitars I've owned for decades that still look very nice. I certainly have no intention of relicing this Squier - it's only a couple / few years old, but there's still not a mark on it. IMO it would be a shame to ding it all up - even though I do love the look of old guitars that have been heavily used.

• Members

So when someone "relics' a guitar do they purposely screw up the neck angle, file grooves in the frets, set the action really high? Do they put a little sand in the tuners so they won't work well, maybe fray a few wires on the pups and pour a little water in the pots to corrode them. Or do they just want it to look like a piece of junk?

I have many legitimate antiques in my house, some guitars that date before the war, a couple of vintage cars. They have earned their little flaws gracefully. But I still don't understand distressed furniture, ripped jeans, rat rods or "reliced" guitars.

End of rant.

• 2 weeks later...
So when someone "relics' a guitar do they purposely screw up the neck angle, file grooves in the frets, set the action really high? Do they put a little sand in the tuners so they won't work well, maybe fray a few wires on the pups and pour a little water in the pots to corrode them. Or do they just want it to look like a piece of junk?

I have many legitimate antiques in my house, some guitars that date before the war, a couple of vintage cars. They have earned their little flaws gracefully. But I still don't understand distressed furniture, ripped jeans, rat rods or "reliced" guitars.

End of rant.

Relics are supposed to look and feel old, but remain fully functional. If the bridge is so rusted that you can't intonate the guitar, it's worthless IMO.

Again, it's not really my "thing" - I only did one to see what the process was and to see if I could do it in such a way that it looked half-way believable. Many of the "relic jobs" out there are just total crap that look totally fake.

• Members
Whatever you decide to do Phil, how about documenting it with a detailed thread. Show each step, the materials and tools that you used, and good close up pictures of the results. It might discourage others.

Being the wood slut that I am, I like natural finishes that show the beauty and grain of the wood. I like sunbursts, in part because I know how difficult they are to hand apply. When I see a painted guitar I know that most of the time they are hiding ugly wood. However a really good painter can get a pretty good solid color finish using automobile products - my friend who paints motorcycles has done some nice guitar finishes using the same products.

The last solid paint job I did was using automobile paint. Its beginning to have issues however.

I got the paint on there perfectly. Red metallic sparkle. I must have dinged the guitar and the paint cracked and chipped off just like it does on an actual automobile when you get a fender bender.

Because of this I assume Automobile paint must be harder then normal lacquers and is better off being applied to a hard surface.

It sure looked good when I first put it one but one knock and it shatters like an egg shell.

I think Phil will be better off using poly based paints if he's going to paint over the existing finish.

Nothing but bad things will happen if you try and use lacquer over poly or vice versa.

I Tried using poly over lacquer once. It peeled off the lacquer like sunburned skin in huge sheets.

The rule of thumb in finishing is stick with the same chemical base throughout. If you started with something alcohol based like shellac or lacquer, stay with an alcohol base till the end. If its poly, stick with poly and you wont develop issues with expansion/contraction or adhesion.

Often times sticking with the same manufacturers products is important too. Manufacturers have gotten smart with their products so a paint and clear coat work together and swapping brands can cause failures so be sure to read the cans and follow the recommendations so you don't develop issues and have to start over.

Archived