Deleted for privacy and safety reasons

jjang1993

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its highly unlikely you'll ever find any real NOS, especially for the popular ones musicians use. All you will find is someone's used tubes stuck back in an old box. There is no way to tell how many hours are on a used tube and the chances of finding some New USA tubes stashed for the past 30 years is about as rare as winning the lottery. There are counterfeits made to look like the real thing. They relabel the tube which is very easy to do and even counterfeit the boxes too.

• Members

try loctite on the screws...ive got a vibrochampXD with a Hammond USA 6v6 tube (I think its a mullard, hammond always used the best parts)

Ive tried the Tungsol RI in my tweed deluxe-nice tubes if not high-fi sounding to me

edit: if youre blowing power tubes the map isnt biased properly

you dont need NOS, its just nice to know how many hours are on them (zero for NOS)

any old USA, British, Russian made tube is going to last longer than new ones.

Ive got a 6v6 from a 1960s organ in my amp thats been there since 2008.

who knows how long it was in the organ? who cares?

• Members

There's a reason the tubes are going bad. The fastest things to eat up tubes is incorrect bias, vibration and improper load.

You need to take that thing to a tech who knows what he's doing and can fix that thing. Throwing tubes at it isn't getting the job done.

• Members

Some amplifiers have a 1 Ohm resistor connected from the cathode to ground. Measuring the Voltage drop across the resistor will give a direct reading of the current flowing through the tube.

For example, a reading of 40 mV will indicate a current flow of 40 mA.

• Members

^^^^ In that case, the Voltage reading will be a direct indication of the current flowing through the tubes. If you are reading 33.5 mV at the test point then, unless the 1 Ohm resistor is faulty, you will be getting 33.5 mA of current flow.

• Members
How would I know if my 1ohm resistor is faulty? Is 33.5mA a cold bias or hot bias? Would running the tubes at 33.5mA instead of 40mA cause them to wear out quicker?

The only way to really test it is to remove it from the circuit and then measure the resistance with a meter. If you don't disconnect it the rest of the circuit can influence the reading.

Commonly resistors get damaged when they are over heated. They will either burn up entirely, or get damaged to the point where their resistance changes but still "function" in a circuit.

Did you remember to hook the speaker back up when the amp was removed from the chassis.

• Members
How would I know if my 1ohm resistor is faulty? Is 33.5mA a cold bias or hot bias? Would running the tubes at 33.5mA instead of 40mA cause them to wear out quicker?

I doubt that the resistor is faulty although it is not unheard of.

Based on the schematic, you should be able to get a reasonably accurate measurement with an Ohmmeter. Remove the power tubes and place the Ohmmeter leads on each end of the resistor and note the reading. Reverse the leads and measure again while noting the reading. If the readings are different, use the larger one to determine if the 1 Ohm resistor is actually 1 Ohm. Because the resistance is so small, it's a good idea to touch the two meter leads together to see what zero Ohms looks like on your meter.

The schematic suggests setting the bias to 40 mA which is where I would set it. 33.5 mA is less current so it would be considered cold bias and would not cause the tubes to wear out quicker.

You may find this interesting...

https://www.tubedepot.com/pages/bias-point

• Members

I agree that the very thing that makes tube amps great is also their weakness.

I have a couple of modelling amplifiers that I find work really well. One is a Yamaha DG80-112 and the other is a Fender Mustang IV. I'm finding that tube amps, with their associated issues, are not that appealing to me now that modellers are getting so much better.

The Yamaha DG80 is the best amplifier that I have ever had. It replaced a Fender Twin Reverb that I used as a regular gigging amp for over fifteen years.

I don't have much experience with the Super Champ XD but I'm thinking a Fender Mustang III might do it for you and they are relatively inexpensive.

Archived