things change...

Voltan

• Members

when i first found this place i was playing more traditional solo or duo gigs as my primary... guitar, djembe, banjo, harmonica and vocals at clubs, bars, festivals, weddings if i had to, or corporate parties...standard fare for the most part... but recently i find my experiences less and less in line with what i was doing originally. and not so sure that my current experiences are all that beneficial for this community. ive been on stage musically since i was three years old and this world of gongs and bowls is different than what i know, on many levels. yes, similarities abound, self discipline, familiarity with ones instrument, transportation, and hustling gigs, but even some of the aforementioned are finessed or even completely foreign to what i was accustomed. its not good for beer sales. every place ive gigged wants me to come play my gongs, bowls and hand pan at their club. yeah, right... patrons in deep introspective states while having a martini? hey barkeep? gimme a double shot of enlightenment with a compassion back... whats teh damages? while i might think some of the patrons would benefit, its not the place for me to do this. it doesnt fit no matter how much theyd like it. even the pan, these are quiet instruments. what? yes, that great huge four foot diameter, 80 pound, 36.287 kg gong is at its most incredible beauty at subtle, delicate resonances... invoking sound by almost not touching, or by touching only with sound... it responds to my voice, singing with it while i play has helped cause cascading notes that build into movable chords of sound. a single gentle glancing arc can cause a reverberating pulse lasting for four or more minutes that will crescendo and peak long sfter the invitation to sound has been offered. then as it dies away it may shift to a higer or lower harmonic and everything starts evolving in a different pattern. i guess where im going with this is while one or two might find some of this interesting, i feel the majority of this new facet doesnt fit any need here, if indeed any of it ever really did. so if im a little scarce around these parts, im ok... just working on some stuff and things..

peace

Archived