NGD - I got me a lawyer guitar

Ratae Corieltauvorum

I'm over the neck shape thing...at one time it had to be a fat neck, now I'm happy with my 54 reissue Strat, a Wizard neck, or this PRS one, which I presume is wide n thin.

I seud to have the same problem with radius nonsense, now I don't care.

Maybe it's playing bass, you don't really get much choice with PBs, JBs or Rics etc.

Radius doesn't bother me, and I do like thin necks, but prefer standard widths. Large, clubby necks like Fender's early U-shaped Tele necks or Gibson's 50s rounded profile are a no-go with my stubby snasauge fingers. :freak:

Radius isn't a huge issue for me - I can feel the difference, but it's easy to adapt, or to just grab a different guitar that has a radius that works better for what I'm trying to do ATM - leads, chords or whatever. It's one of the benefits of being studio-oriented and being able to overdub. ;)

I'm just as picky about necks on basses. My main bass is a '89 Ibanez SR1100. It has a very thin neck, and the width is kind of like a J-Bass. Works great for my hands. My other two basses and my Baritone are all in the short-scale / 30" range. I like lots of full-scale basses, but they have got to work with my hands. Rics are more consistent width-wise down the length of the neck, and I can hang with them okay... but a P-Bass is usually a no-go, especially if it has a chunkier neck on it. I reviewed a Gibson EB Bass a few years back that I really liked. I could hang with the neck on those just fine too.

• Members
. . . As I don't have a requirement for the range of tone that the 5 way rotary seems to give me' date=' and it doesn't make sense, and it's not the easiest to use, it will be being replaced iwth a LP type 3 way toggle switch, like the McCarty has I believe, wish _pete_ was here, he was the PRS expert.[/quote']

I hear you. The only guitar I can recall seeing that had a rotary switch was the Fender Pawn Shop 51 and it's only a 3 way switch. My Schecter has master volume and tone and a LP style toggle and it suits me fine. I'd probably be inclined to find a setting that sounded good and leave it that way but I know there are those who like a range of tones. I think gardo was considering modding a Strat with a rotary switch in place of the tone control instead of the standard blade switch but I haven't heard any more about it.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
HNGD! :philthumb:

Nice score. :cool2: It's a beauty! :love: I love the look of some of the PRS models. I'd be sorely tempted to buy one, but their necks just don't work with my hands.

You turned out to be spot on Phil, I've got an Ibanez that's thinner that I have no problems with, the girth or shape doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary, but I just do not want to play it:(

It's back up for sale

• Moderators
Sorry to hear that Ratae... but it's gotta be playable for you' date=' right?[/quote']

I could probably tolerate it on a a beater or gigging guitar, but the 25" scale suits me perfectly, as do the 24 frets and good solid vibrato, so at that price, I'd want near perfection and thumb heel cramp is a no no

• Members

I'm just glad I got to the end before I responded, as I was about to congratulate you and tell you how jealous I was at the deal you scored. But alas, the beautiful Titanic, the pinnacle of corporate guitar engineering hits an iceberg and sinks like a stone. (Sorry to hear about the neck issue.) My PRS custom wannabe is a lovely 98 Chicago made Hamer Mirage II that is a model of functionality but can't touch a PRS Custom in the looks dept.

Better off I suppose with the homely homemaker than the trophy wife that won't work or play.

Hamer Mirage II first on the left:

a02f922361a06b1bebc2b42919d44a8b.jpg.c59476ef60f6e94238f9968ec1a4ab5c.jpg

• Members
OK, been utter crap with NGDs lately, I gotta get what I consider to be my real family together.

See some time back, I sorta gave up on 6 strings, and went back to 4 bridge supports, so a nice little stable of bass guitars have moved into chez moi.

Then last week i saw this 30th Anniversary PRS SE Custom 24 in Chestnut and it looked a lot like one of the original West Street originals, so I bought it for my eldest son who is turning out to be quite the player at 14, and writes a song in 5-10 mins and then sticks some music with it.

Got it home and it took him best part of three days to get it out of my hands.

Anyroad, I started just lookin for a 90s CE24, and there arent many around at decent prices, ie <1000, negotiated with some guy on his beat up black 94, but he wasn't going below a grand, but then came across a nice flamed top on Ebay, put in the lowest bid, and nobody bid against me, so got this for 950 of our scrounging queens pounds (yes, treason, well high treason)

92BF5F02-7F03-4D76-9285-4AFB16D55972_zps2yugmkcb.jpg

563E2E18-AD8D-43E4-9FCE-82DBA04E695B_zpsexnhougc.jpgEDF7C1E0-2ECE-40E4-A921-A1107C334ED1_zpsbebhfwg3.jpg

Super Distortion in the bridge, Air Norton in the neck, so may have to swap something more my bag in and ditch the rotary switch.

I now get why folk like these

That's a beautiful PRS man! WTG

• Moderators

OK, I now managed to offload my lawyer guitar.

Man, I thought that Les Paulophiles were anal.

{censored}in PRS fanatics are plain freaky, weird, anal.

I got around 3 asking me to document a spreadsheet of the

1 Circular or near circular dings (lacquer unbroken)

2 Circular or near circular dings (lacquer broken)

3 Scratches under 3mm

4 Scratches >3mm

5 Exact bout widths

6 Fret inventories (ie, amount of apparent wear on a 1-10 scale of each fret)

{censored}in weirdos, makes Scientologists look like normal people....ain't gettin mixed up with that sect again.

I'll just keep quiet about me Santana SE

• Members

Then last week i saw this 30th Anniversary PRS SE Custom 24 in Chestnut and it looked a lot like one of the original West Street originals, so ( I bought it for my eldest son) who is turning out to be quite the player at 14

WTG Dad, I bet you're best of friends or.......

Archived