Drummer's vocal mic?

• Members

Having an issue with my drummer's vocals. He sings mostly backup, but also trades off lead vocals on a few songs. However, when I try to bring his volume up, it all gets overpowered by the snare bleeding into his mic (SM58). He hits everything kinda hard, so that when I raise his level, all I get is drums. He is thinking about a headset mic. Would that help?

Any other ideas?

• Members

I'll answer this for most everyone---------Crown CM-311

This,,,,,^

I ordered one a few weeks ago,,,it's still not in. Gettin' kinda worried. I hope I don't get the dreaded "this item is no longer available" message. My dealer assured me he could get one. (CM311-A)

• Members

With the big end facing the singer of course. ;-)

This.

...and on a boom stand placed at roughly my 8 o'clock, with the arm coming at a slight downward angle across my body over my left shoulder (towards roughly my 1:30-2 o'clock). Mic is aimed (roughly) towards a spot just below my left eye so all I have to do to be right on it is lean forward a few inches at most and turn/tilt my head a tiny bit up and left.

• Members

I always thought the 57 was more directional..head on so to speak. I know if while playing if I veered off one side or the other, I would hear it from the sound guys. Ive tried a 58, it seems a little more forgiving if I get off the straight ahead a little more.

Pretty much identical to the 58... so I would expect almost identical results.

• Members

The 57 seems more directional because if you are X" from the grill, you are closer to the capsule than with a 58. If you back off a bit, the old '6dB loss per doubling of distance' bites you more with a 57. But with the 57 you have a better voice-to-drums ratio. But you have more proximity effect to EQ out (but that gives you a better low-mid voice-to-drums ratio). Give me an OM7 or a CM311 though.

• Members

I know in the studio I use comp to get snare out of overheads. I'll set the ratio really heavy and watch the GR meter while lowering the threshold. Once the cymbals start to compress I back it off. I can get the snare about 4-5 dbs lower. This might cause feedback though, I've never tried it live.

Archived