kick drum attack

• Members

Hi I may have asked this already , but i cant remember .

i am interested in double micing my kick drum , one in the hole end of the drum and on either inside the drum or on the beater side. , my question is this , which side would be best and get the best results , inside the drum next to the head the beater is hitting or on the outside of the drum between the drummer and the kick drum. ? thanks in advance for your input and replies.

• Members

Either can work. Physically, inside is easier many times since drum kits can often leave little room to get a mic positioned by the pedal so that it won't get moved or hit. Sound wise, I like the inside more ONLY if I get less of the mechanical noise from the pedal that I often hear from poorly maintained pedals. If the pedal is quiet, I can use either side and will take the one with the easiest and safest positioning.

• Members

Have to agree with Mogwix, that I used to double mic and after finding the mic I like (a D6) I no longer do it. I get everything I need from one mic if you find the right place for it on a particular drum. But if you want two, go for it.

• Members

I've never figured out why folks like to mic right at the hole these days? Way too "wooly" to my ear - especially with a mic like the D112. I've always used inside about 4 inches from the batter head, closer or farther from the beater depending on the genre.

• Members

Have to agree with Mogwix, that I used to double mic and after finding the mic I like (a D6) I no longer do it. I get everything I need from one mic if you find the right place for it on a particular drum. But if you want two, go for it.

I also agee.

• Members

I've never figured out why folks like to mic right at the hole these days? Way too "wooly" to my ear - especially with a mic like the D112. I've always used inside about 4 inches from the batter head, closer or farther from the beater depending on the genre.

+1

• Members

I have Beta 52's and Beta 91's, and I've used them together with excellent results. But I also have a D6, and that's pretty much what I use the majority of the time. The 52/91 combo gets used only when its requested, and the results are about the same as a D6. What are you using now?

• Members

What is your current set up? Mic, eq comp?

the mic i am useing is the audix F12, It's a great mic , i have used them for years and love them. but i am just wanting something to get my attack out as much as the boom from the Audix mic. i dont never use any effects on the mic.

• Members

i have been, but since you said that that might be part if not all of my problem I'll just start putting my mic a little futher inside the drum , i have been useing a stand for it but i can take it off the stand and use it.

• Members

I have Beta 52's and Beta 91's, and I've used them together with excellent results. But I also have a D6, and that's pretty much what I use the majority of the time. The 52/91 combo gets used only when its requested, and the results are about the same as a D6. What are you using now?

a audix f12.

• Members

well the reason i asked about useing two of them , i was talking to a sound guy at a national christian bands concert that i worked a outside show for at our arena here and he had 2 channels set up for his kic and he had the bass rolled off of one and had the highs rolled off on the other and he said to send one to the subs and send on to the mains and it sounded pretty good.

• Members

I tbink you may have misunderstood what he said or he did not explain fully... just a hunch.

I might have . he didnt really explain it that well , we just talked a few mins. aged what do you think was misunderstood. or lack of communication there. ?

• Members

... or he might be running aux driven subs and doing exactly what he said although I've not heard of anyone doing that before. But there sure are some strange soundguys out there
:freak:

that i didnt ask him. so i couldnt tell you. strange or not it sounded really good to me. LOL

• Members

the mic i am useing is the audix F12, It's a great mic

I had one of those and I would disagree with the "great mic" comment. IMO the D6 is a much better mic and all you really need on the kick drum. As others have said, put it close to the beater inside the bass drum for more attack.

• Members

Hi I may have asked this already , but i cant remember .

i am interested in double micing my kick drum , one in the hole end of the drum and on either inside the drum or on the beater side. , my question is this , which side would be best and get the best results , inside the drum next to the head the beater is hitting or on the outside of the drum between the drummer and the kick drum. ? thanks in advance for your input and replies.

If you choose to mic the beater side and the front of the head then reverse the polarity on one of the mics.

Experiment with which mic you want to reverse the polarity on but this is highly recommended. I personally put the mic inside the kick and reverse polarity on

the kick mic. If you double mic a snare use the same method. Reverse the polarity

on the mic on the underside of the snare. Any mic I use on the underside of a drum

I reverse the polarity on. If you do not have polarity reverse on your mix then make

an xlr adaptor and reverse leads 2 and 3 on one side of the cable

• Members

I prefer the D6 to the ever popular B52, but that's mostly owing the the B52s stupidly large and heavy body and poorly placed XLR. The B52 does accentuate LF ring more, which is a performance disadvantage. I have changed from the D6 to the large (but easy to hang on to) PR40. It lets me decide where and if there's a scoop, and if I want bottom end I can get it. As to attack, they all depend on the drum. Tune it low, get a hard beater, and put one of those thingies on the batter head.

Archived