amp rack construction

• Members

started a new amp rack yesterday, first project in my nowhere near complete shop (but has walls, power, heat).

yesterday after work i trudged into the shop and cut up a full sheet, then glued it and air nailed it together (with pipe clamps and corner clamps). 2 hours

today after work i trudged into the shop and rough sanded the box, then quarter rounded the whole thing, then cut the doors off. i have a jig that helps cut the doors off and works very well. 2 hours

1. i need to wax my tablesaw. i dont know what to use.

after i cut the doors off (they are true!) i turned the box on its side and sized up all the hardware; 4 latches per door, two large handles per side and a 12 space pair of rack rails. i gave myself some extra room in the box this time, i have a good 1/8" top and bottom past the rack rails (so 21.250" total inside height). i should have an extra 1/16 to 3/32" horizontally as well which should allow for the typical play in the rail width. i didnt do these things last time.

2. how many T-nuts should i use per rail

there are 12 holes for t-nuts per rail. if i use 2 latches per side (one top one bottom, so a total of 4 per door) i will lose either 2 or 3 holes depending (per latch) - if i use my eyeball to locate the latches i lose 3 holes (per latch) and have one hole used beyond the latches (so 1 t-nut, then the latch, then several t-nuts, the other latch, then one more t-nut)

or-

if i move the latches more inward towards the center i could have 2 t-nuts, then the latch, then 4 t-nuts, the other latch, then 2 more t-nuts. i think this would be a lot stronger and pleasing but it looks a little less intuitive to my naked eye.

this rack will house at least 4 amps, a dsp, a patch panel.

i bought a 1" forstner and a bunch of 1" plugs for the t-nuts so i will see how that goes; last time i used my 7/8" forstner and homemade plugs (plug cutter) and it went well but i really needed more surface area to glue the plugs in.

there will be rear rails but they will be made from oak like the ones i have now. i'm probably going to glue them in although i probably shouldnt.

4 hours total work not including planning or shopping.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The tinsile strength of mild steel is approx. 60,000 lbs per sq. inch. I suspect you can do the math to figure out how many carriage bolts you really need.

:D :D well yeah of course mark but i'm thinking more in terms of keeping the box attached to the rails :D i'm not actually worried about the rails.

actually with the latch cutouts and the handles cutouts the plywood material gets a little scarce in areas.

• Members

oh there will be pics.

3 amps @ 30#'s + 1 amp @ 20# + dsp at almost no #'s + misc wires, casters, materials etc

maybe 200# soaking wet hopefully less :D it will roll nice but will suck lifting.

basically it will be what i have now + 30 pounds. liftable by one person but not smart to lift by one person

• Members

less than 200# isnt unreasonable. most 218 subs are around that weight and are easily manageable (i have 2 that are 172#)

in any case (pun) it will be 30# heavier than it is now but with larger handles and twice as many of them (and we routinely lift this into the truck)

• Members

So lets see...

75 Rack empty (14 spaces)

90 Amps (5x)

5 Audiorail digital snake

15 Presonus D8 (3x)

5 MOTU 828 converter

5 Power strip

10 Misc connectors and panels

205 total weight for 5 amps, 3 preamps, digital transport, digital converter, power, and panels. Sounds reasonable to me.

• Members

Cool, show pics!

I've been on a quest to lighten my amp rack loads lately. Right now I only own 1 amp that is conventional and that's A QSC RMX1450 I bought new in 1999. It's in a rack that doesn't move with an ART SLA2 (mon) and a soundtech PS1600 (tops) and the RMX is bridged on subs.

Lesse:

Yamaha amp racks is

1 CX502 @ 21, 3 P7000 @ 25, DRPA, patch panel etc~5lbs + road ready: 140

QSC:

1 cx502, 1 PLX1804 @ 10, 1 3402 @ 21, stuff ~5 + EWI 8sp: 100

The worst is an EWI mixwiz+12sp rack:

Mixwiz + 2x CX502 + P5000, 16ch splitter snake 4ft + 10ft tails, 2 8ch snakes, patch panel: easily 200+lbs.

The best is a 6sp effects rack with 2 DBX eqs and a carvin 2004L, prolly 20-25lbs total.

And today the fed ex truck brought an Alto D4 (370 @ 8 x 4, 17lbs). So time to rack it up!

• Members

My amp rack with three amps (2x 1600, 1x 3000) in it weighs ~35 lbs
:love:

Same as mine but I have mine in a 8u rack waiting (not holding my breath) for the 5000. I got an email back from peavey customer service the other day that said middle to late summer.:thu:

• Members

Same as mine but I have mine in a 8u rack waiting (not holding my breath) for the 5000. I got an email back from peavey customer service the other day that said middle to late summer.
:thu:

We definitely need a smiley of someone holding their breath until they turn blue LOL

79214885.jpg

• Members

so i did some edge banding to the box and doors today, then i took all the wood parts of my tablesaw off and i am going to adjust them better as well as buff/wax the top. i guess the move/climate change/time has altered the wood so that it no longer sits flat and the fence doenst move across the transition worth a {censored} right now.

might be time to cut up that pile of plywood in the corner i bought for a larger outfeed table and sidefill table but i really wanted to get this rack out by next friday. thats not looking too possible at this point.

total work on box time today 2 hours, total of 6 hours (and i am not fooling around, drinking beer, or watching tv. i have shop tunes going and i work).

i am noticing i have some workflow issues. no surprise, but i thought i could work around it better for the time being. my air compressor is at the opposite corner of the shop from where i am working. annoying with all that hose out, need plumbing on ceiling.

no DC system setup yet. yuck.

no trash system yet. this could be a larger issue than i am anticipating.

Archived