Marshall Grill Cloth Question

BeanoBoy

• Members

I have an old Marshall combo amp. The grill cloth has a rip and the Marshall logo has a chip missing. I'd like to replace the grill cloth. I know I can buy replacements however, I'd like one with a Union Jack on it. Does ANYONE know of a supplier that deals in this kind of thing or there is a way this can be done to an existing grill cloth. I know I can buy a replacement for the logo.

• Members
...Just redid my Roland BC-60' date=' and it was the most tedious job I have ever done! [/quote']

C'mon. Pulling the grill off, removing a few staples, cutting a new piece of grill cloth, then stapling / gluing on the new grill cloth, stretching it a bit and completing the stapling/gluing at the remaining corners and edges is tedious? :rolleyes2:

I'm always doing this sort of handyman work because of my spastic semi-drunken stage movements, where I inadvertently launch my foot through the grill cloth or even into the loudspeaker cone. Oh yeah. I've got plenty of experience in this sort of repair. I'm thinking chicken wire between the grill cloth and the grill board might even be a good idea.

• Members

At the moment I'm looking across the room at a Roland JC-77 that dates to the '80's and looks nearly new. Given the advances in fabric technology, there's no reason amp manufacturers can't make grill cloths durable these days. Except. of course, the same reason that they don't have easily swappable pickups on guitars .... "because we don't do that."

It will be great when gear manufacturers lurch in to the 21st century.

Archived