Fender Starcaster ?

Chordite

• Members

My local pawnshop has a "Fender Starcaster" for sale at mid double figures. Are these things worthy of the Fender name or some kind of sub Squier toy?

There seem to be some expensive "starcasters" but also like

http://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/fender-starcaster-stratocaster-rw-3-tone-sunburst?source=googleps&gclid=CM24u9bE1sgCFUbmwgod718FaA

• Members

"The electric guitars in this range are manufactured in the Far East and typically sold as part of a starter package with a Squier SP-10 practice amplifier (e.g. "Starcaster Strat Pack"). In 2006-2007 the Fender website identified them as being sold through Best Buy, Target, Sam's Club, and Costco outlets. Different finishes were available exclusively from each outlet, for example 3-tone sunburst with rosewood fretboard from Best Buy, black with maple fingerboard from Target, metallic black with rosewood fingerboard and pearloid scratchplate (Model No. 0283001165) from Sam's Club. Although the range was withdrawn from the Fender website in 2007, it continues to be developed and is now sold through a variety of outlets, such as BJ's Wholesale Club, Amazon.com and Buy.com. Most of these guitars areStratocasters but some early versions (sometimes called S1) had an arrow shaped headstock similar to the Fender Swinger."

While the statement that you get what you pay for is debatable' date=' this guitar seems like a joke and a half. BTW, this is the first time I hear the name "Starcaster". Squiers are generally good instruments, but I digress...[/quote']

Fender's been using that name since the 70s when they used it for a offset waist, semi-hollowbody guitar.

Original 70s era Starcaster:

starcaster.jpg

I believe it was last year (or was it a year or two before?) that Fender released a reissue of sorts - not an exact copy of the old ones. Note the somewhat shorter body, one less knob and the different bridge configuration - the pickups are also significantly different internally than the 70s era Wide Range Humbuckers of the originals.

Reissue Starcaster:

fender-starcaster-970-80.jpg

As mikesr1963 said, in between these two models, Fender used the name Starcaster for a really inexpensive Strat-style student guitar. Unless you're a total beginner, I wouldn't recommend it - in fact, I'd probably recommend something else, even for total noobs.

• Members

The reissue Starcaster is more like a typical Samick style guitar that alludes to the old shape that Fender used on their thinline in the 70s.

It's somewhat disappointing to me to see the big brand names like Fender and Gibson being used to sell really cheap, sometimes second rate, instruments to unsuspecting buyers. Does it make that much difference to the bottom line that they would choose to drag Leo's and Orville's names down like that?

The reissue Starcaster is more like a typical Samick style guitar that alludes to the old shape that Fender used on their thinline in the 70s.

I agree, although I don't know if it was built in a Samick factory or not - I believe they're making them somewhere in China. Frankly, I was never wild about the Starcaster when the first ones came out - I had a Thinline at the time, which used the same pickups but was (IMHO, and with apologies to the Jonny Greenwood fans out there) a better built and better sounding guitar.

It's somewhat disappointing to me to see the big brand names like Fender and Gibson being used to sell really cheap, sometimes second rate, instruments to unsuspecting buyers. Does it make that much difference to the bottom line that they would choose to drag Leo's and Orville's names down like that?

I find it hard to get too upset about it. I have no problem with it as long as the companies clearly differentiate their products and manage customer expectations. idk.gif Sure, an Epiphone Les Paul or Squier Strat is "playing on the name" and the overall look of the original Fender and Gibson designs, but most people don't really expect to get a two or three thousand dollar guitar for $399.

I'm pretty sure if it has a Gibson logo on it (and it's not a fake), it's made in the USA. If it's legit and built overseas, it's going to say Orville or Epiphone on it. IMO that's plenty of differentiation, and I think it's great that kids and those just starting out (or on a tight budget) have alternatives to higher priced USA-built instruments.

As far as Fender, they do make some guitars overseas with the Fender brand name, but most are made in Japan or Mexico IIRC, and that's a non-issue for me as far as quality. Japan makes some incredible guitars, and IMHO they reached the point where they could go toe to toe with America back in the 80s. Some of the best "Fenders" came from Japan in that era. And as far as Mexico goes, while I have not seen the factory in Ensenada, I have seen the whole Corona factory (a good friend and former bandmate is a master builder in the custom shop) and I know that a lot of interaction occurs between the US and Mexico operations. A lot of the parts and work on the Mexican built guitars is actually done in the USA - NAFTA allows them to ship things back and forth between the two countries fairly easily, and it's a relatively short drive between the two. I don't think they're spraying nitro lacquer on any of the MIM guitars, but outside of that, they make some very nice things there. And of course Fender also has the Squier line, which is further differentiation.

Frankly, as with microphones, I think we're kind of in a golden age of guitars at the moment. Tons of options, and some incredibly well built stuff is out there, and it's not too hard to find. Far better - even at the lower end - than the cheap Hondo II's and other junk that was available when I was a teenager in the mid 70s.

Archived