New Yamaha Desk CL3?

• Members

It looks to be a great product for them. Aimed at the right market, features are right, and I just hope price works for everyone. It won't work for me however because I am married, and it costs more than my 01v96's do. A new console in this price range will make my wife and a new CL console an either/or proposition. I can look at the pretty pictures though.

• Members

I found MSRP in a press release, it sets right around the M7CL-48 in price plus the cost of the stageboxes.

Very nice to see so many issues I had with the M7CL being addressed and many of the things I preferred on the iLive consoles coming to fruition.

It's a much more "digital" board it looks like, so higher learning curve with more flexibility.

I'm excited.

• Members

Can the Matrix section be accessed from input channels like the M7? Input delay?

"The CL5 has 72 "inputs:" what does that mean? That it can mix 72 inputs at a time? How many card slots? What sample rate, natively? I get that you can connect 8 stage boxes, but am having trouble envisioning a good reason(there are reasons, yes) to have that capability if one cannot also mix [close to] that amount.

I like the dante network stuff, and the DCA count, as well as the CL Editor and iPad thing at the same time. Still, it bothers me that it looks like you can only get to 8 of the DCAs at a time on the surface.

Good to see a new product; the 5d and M7 are getting "old."

• Members

that amount.

As I understand it, 72 mono processing channels plus the 8 stereo channels. 64 in from Dante, 8 from the back of the surface ("omni in" which means the standard mic/line input card).

Three card slots on the surface.

44.1/48 sample rate.

The reason for all the stage boxes is "why not?" and "we can scatter stage boxes around like subsnakes".

• Members

Yup, the matrix works like on the M7CL, for effectively 32 mixes.

Not sure about the input delay... but you can download a block diagram from

As I understand it, 72 mono processing channels plus the 8 stereo channels. 64 in from Dante, 8 from the back of the surface ("omni in" which means the standard mic/line input card).

Three card slots on the surface.

44.1/48 sample rate.

The reason for all the stage boxes is "why not?" and "we can scatter stage boxes around like subsnakes".

FWIW, Here is a link with more than a press release:

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/mixers/cl/downloads.jsp

There is 1000 ms of delay on input channels according to the block diagram, as well as all outputs. That's a good thing!

It looks like the Dante network out from a given console is a maximum of 64 channels. I don't know what that actually means, though. Certainly if you can have up to 8 stage boxes that is 256 channels of Bidirectional audio connected on the network, but you are limited to 64 available channels at a time.

So my next question is with the virtual dante card recording with Nuendo, can you record more than the 64 channels/In essence, is one allowed to "choose" which outputs from which stagebox are recorded?

• Members

It looks like the Dante network out from a given console is a maximum of 64 channels. I don't know what that actually means, though. Certainly if you can have up to 8 stage boxes that is 256 channels of Bidirectional audio connected on the network, but you are limited to 64 available channels at a time.

So my next question is with the virtual dante card recording with Nuendo, can you record more than the 64 channels/In essence, is one allowed to "choose" which outputs from which stagebox are recorded?

With the way Dante works you should be able to pick and choose any of the inputs and outputs you want to go to anywhere else on the network.

On the back of the console it has 2 ports I think I saw, but I imagine they are just on a ethernet switch internally and it is a single Dante network. Which they have limited to 64 channels in and 64 out.

Essentially the way Dante works is that you set up subscriptions which tell a specific place that can accept audio to ask for audio from a place that can give it. So the console Ch 5 will ask to recieve mic pre 7 from stagebox ID 3, etc.

It's completely flexible and ends up being one giant network of soft patch as opposed to something like ADAT and many others where it is point to point. Inject 8 channels, move it and then pull those same 8 in the same order out.

• Members

With the way Dante works you
should
be able to pick and choose any of the inputs and outputs you want to go to anywhere else on the network.

The above "sh" word makes me cringe!

Yes, There are two Dante ports: One Primary and a Secondary. Like you, I have no idea how they are configured. Cool stuff regardless of the 64 ch "limitation" and good to see Yamaha embracing this specific protocol.

I'm pretty excited if MSRP stays where it's at. I've used the PM1d, 5d, and mix on the M7, LS9 and 01v consoles every week and have been a Yamaha digital fan boy for some time. I wonder when the 5d will be decommissioned; this console looks like a viable replacement.

• Members

It looks like it fills the channel count and mix capability of the PM5d but it does it in a very different way, same thing with the M7CL. Both the 5D and M7 are very analog feeling where as this one looks much more digital in workflow, which I love but others don't.

As far as the Dante, I looked again at the photos and with the way the ports are I am 99% sure that it is only a secondary/backup line and you can only bring in one network of Dante. After that with the way Dante works and after looking at their application diagrams I'm confident that it will be true to Dante and let you patch anything to anything. It is nice to see that they built the subscription management into the console, it would have really sucked to have to do that with a separate computer.

It was also nice to see that they are adding DCA fader control to StageMix for the M7 and all the other features. The one I am still really holding out for is output delay control from the iPad.

• Members

The 5d can still mix more channels, but has other limitations. The presser said something about "cascading" CL series consoles--I guess we'll see what this means later.

Other nice things I'm seeing are the "scribble strip" channel markers with what appear to be customizable color LED markers, the number of UDK (keys and knobs) and the Custom Fader topology. The GEQs are useless, I would rather have had more effects available, but to each his own.

Hopefully, the desk will have the ability to duck audio via a key from another channel. Unlike one of them now...:(

• Members

The 5d can still mix more channels, but has other limitations. The presser said something about "cascading" CL series consoles--I guess we'll see what this means later.

PM5D - 48 mono plus 8 stereo... unless you buy a DSP5D which is still kind of clunky as a combination.

• Members

Cascading in Yamaha speak is using two consoles (they don't even have to be identical but some things might help) and treating it essentially like a Mackie sidecar on one of the old 8 bus consoles (though a hell of a lot nicer).

You use the option cards (ADAT is a typical favorite for this, straightforward and stays digital) to create a bunch of tie-lines between the two consoles. Then in the menu you set up the ports so that each mix output and buss feeds into the master console from the slave. It combines these (I believe before the output channel processing on the master console) and then sends them out the output for the buss. So essentially you can send all of your channels from both consoles to all of your auxes, groups, mains, matrixes, etc.

• Members
Cascading in Yamaha speak is using two consoles (they don't even have to be identical but some things might help) and treating it essentially like a Mackie sidecar on one of the old 8 bus consoles (though a hell of a lot nicer).

You use the option cards (ADAT is a typical favorite for this, straightforward and stays digital) to create a bunch of tie-lines between the two consoles. Then in the menu you set up the ports so that each mix output and buss feeds into the master console from the slave. It combines these (I believe before the output channel processing on the master console) and then sends them out the output for the buss. So essentially you can send all of your channels from both consoles to all of your auxes, groups, mains, matrixes, etc.

Yes, I understand how it works now, but with Dante, cascading will be a lot less clunky. The 5d and dm2000 have cascade ports that actually take care of bus sharing without burning slots. But they arent cross platform.

• Members

Yes, I understand how it works now, but with Dante, cascading will be a lot less clunky. The 5d and dm2000 have cascade ports that actually take care of bus sharing without burning slots. But they arent cross platform.

The thing about cascading through Dante is that if you need a lot of inputs... you won't want to use up the number of inputs that could come from Dante. So the card route might be better in that case. Dante is only 64x64, and there's only one port on the console. With the CL5 the last 8 inputs (65-72) will have to come from the XLRs on the back of the console.

Archived