Your Top Three Music Recording PRODUCTIONS of all-time?

rasputin1963

• Members
What are your three favorite record PRODUCTIONS of all-time?

Tough…. so many good records…. My picks are records that influenced me or really left me with some emotional connection...

Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd…. a friend sat me down on his couch, shut off the lights, and played this for me… incredible experience. I never heard anything like it and instantly fell in love with the record.

The Joshua Tree by U2…. another record that took me on a journey. Hard to explain really because there are cuts on this record where the band sounds like they`re right there in the room with you.

Love Supreme by John Coltrane…. another record that I heard the first time and instantly felt an emotional connection with it. Another record where it sounds like the players are right there in the room with you. Production wise… its just a bunch of guys improvising but the sound is captured and truly captures the spirit of Coltrane.

• Members
I recently became aware of Captain Beefheart's "Clear Spot" album which followed "Lick My Decals Off Baby". I read that Don Van Vliet recruited Ted Templeman in an effort to make a more commercially viable album. To my ears it should have had some level of popular appeal but I don't think he ever reached that with any recording. He eventually turned to painting as his vocation. But I think it works. A success in my opinion. I was watching "The Big Lewbowski" on Netflix a few weeks ago and noticed "Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles" in the background a scene.

This is one of my favorites. I really like the interplay between the guitar and (to my ears) the horns. "Long Neck Bottles".

[...]

Kidding aside, that is one of my favorite albums and "Blue Million Miles" one of my top favorite songs of all time, period, I mean count on one hand top. I also love "My Head Is My Only House Unless It Rains" and, though I wasn't a big fan of the minor hit, "Too Much Time" when it was on the radio, I have to say it has really grown on me over the years, it's a bit goofy, but it's really quite relaxed and soulful.

Clear Spot and its immediate predecessor, Spotlight Kid, have been available on CD as a combo, all in the correct order. (Spotlight Kid also has some pretty good stuff but doesn't have the flow of Clear Spot -- it's worth dropping the laser head on track 11 from the go every now and then, just to get the pure Clear Spot experience.)

• Members
I've mentioned two Daniel Lanois produced things here, "The Unforgettable Fire: by U2 and "Wrecking Ball" by Emmylou Harris. No small coincidence. The guy is amazing. His own stuff sounds great too.

Yeah, I did note your mentioning him. I don't know how he can do such good work across such varying material as U2, Peter Gabriel, Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris, Dylan, Brian Eno, The Neville Brothers, etc etc.

There are a lot of interviews with him if you just Google around a bit - he really tries to take care of the artists he works with. In Dylan's Chronicles there's a very entertaining section about his sessions with Lanois - Dylan makes it clear just what a pain he (Dylan himself) can be to work with in the studio, and sympathizes with Lanois having to put up with him - for one thing, Dylan just showed up with some sheets of lyrics and just some vague ideas of what the music might sound like:

"We lost two or three days just goofing around.....I started seeing that [some song they were working on] should have been a more upbeat ballad. We tried breaking the song apart and adding melodic lines like a chorus, but it was too time consuming [ nat comments, "!?!?!"] Nothing was going to make any difference. I didn't think we were communicating very well and it was beginning to break my bloody heart. At one point things really began to boil. He [Lanois] got so frustrated, he flashed into a rage, swung around, flinging a metallic dobro like it was some kind of toy and smashed it to the floor with furious actions. There was a momentary stillness in the room."

Describing the end of these sessions with Lanois, Dylan makes this classic statement:

"When we finished the recording it felt like the studio could have gone up in a sheet of flame...so intense in there for the past couple of months or so...I know he [Lanois] wanted to understand me more as we went along, but you can't do that, not unless you like to do puzzles."

smiley-happy

nat whilk ii

• Members

I've always liked the sound of the early seventies. A lot of those records have a warm and gooey texture about them that I just find pleasing to the ear. I like the way they recorded the drums all damped down and close miked. I like the low-mid frequency bump of the wide track 15 IPS tape machines and the sound of the non-reverberant tracking rooms. I like the plate reverbs and mechanical flanging like on this track at about 5: 03.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrVg437qoYw3

• Members
I've always liked the sound of the early seventies. A lot of those records have a warm and gooey texture about them that I just find pleasing to the ear. I like the way they recorded the drums all damped down and close miked. I like the low-mid frequency bump of the wide track 15 IPS tape machines and the sound of the non-reverberant tracking rooms. I like the plate reverbs and mechanical flanging like on this track at about 5: 03.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrVg437qoYw3

Same here. Very rich, satisfying sounds that sound good on any speaker.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Well, this one finally got me to post.

Hector Zazou was, IMHO, one of the finest music producers. These two albums(among others) are just amazing :

Sahara Blue

Songs from the Cold Seas

Then there is Jon Hassell's

Last Night the Moon Came Dropping Its Clothes in the Street

An album which makes use of space and the quiet to draw one into the music - antithetical to most modern productions.

Archived