Gig Bag

Trick Fall

• Members

Gator and SKB both make decent stuff. Go to Amazon.com and search for "rigid foam case". Lightweight with more protection than a gig bag. Figure $75 and up shipped depending on what you need. If you're talking electric guitar and you just want something cheap, World Music Supply has Charvel branded gig bags for under $20 shipped.

Are you looking for a bag for an electric or an acoustic?

The main advantages of a gig bag are that they're less expensive and lighter in weight than a case. The main downside is that they don't offer as much protection. If a soft case / hard gig bag gives you added padding over a regular gig bag, and you don't travel a lot, then I guess it might make sense. I got a hard gig bag like that with my Taylor 150e, and it's not bad... but if I was gigging a lot, I think I'd rather have a hard shell case. Especially if the reinforced gig bag is so beefy that it's nearly as heavy as a standard case, and is as expensive as a hard shell case....

• Members

Sorry, should've been clearer. I'm looking for one for my Strat. I have a hard case for when I need the extra protection, but for rehearsals most of my gigs it's a gig bag is sufficient and I really like being able to wear the guitar on my back so my hands are free for the pedal board and amp.

• Members
Well, like the man said, World Music Supply has Fender branded gig bags for twenty bucks - I didn't buy them there, but I've got a couple of those bags, and they should be just fine for what you need.

http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/fender-traditional-padded-gig-bag-for-electric-guitar/

Actually, the bag I suggested is a Charvel: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charvel-Electric-Guitar-Padded-Gig-Bag-with-Accessory-Carry-Pouch-/251754732671?hash=item3a9dc05c7f. If you buy it on eBay (but still from WMS), shipping is free. I bought one earlier this year and I like it a lot. One thing, the length is a bit tight for my Schecter, which has a three-on-a-side headstock, so a Strat might not fit.

• Members

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went to my local GC, Sams' Ass and local music shop. I saw the Mono bags and they really are nice, but 230 nice? I dunno, the Fender bags they had at Sam's ass were kind of on the thin side.

Sam's Ass also had one of the Gator bags for 60 bucks that seemed decent and a Guitar Research Bag that also seemed decent for 60.00 GC only had the Mono and one model of Road Runner. The Road Runner was ok, but the bag I'm replacing is a Road Runner and I wanted to try something different with some more padding.

Anyway wound up pulling the trigger on the Ultimate Support Series One. It should be here on Tuesday and if I wind up not liking it I can stop by B&H to return it. There really does seem to be a hole in the market for gig bags that are nicer than the 25-60 ones , but aren't 200+

• Members
. . . Anyway wound up pulling the trigger on the Ultimate Support Series One. It should be here on Tuesday and if I wind up not liking it I can stop by B&H to return it. There really does seem to be a hole in the market for gig bags that are nicer than the 25-60 ones , but aren't 200+

Happy (Pending) New Gig Bag Day. Hope it works out for you. As for gig bags between $60 and $200, sounds like a good reason for a Kickstarter campaign. sm-wink

• Members

I have a Guitar Research gig bag that I have been using for hauling my Strat around for several years. Have been really happy with it. I gig and jam a fair amount and being able to strap my guitar on my back leaves both hands free. This means one for amp and one for effects and accessories bag and one trip in from the car. Sometimes I use a hand truck to move the amp and etc and having the guitar on my back is still great.

Plenty of protection for the guitar as long as you don't put anything on top of it. I have a hollow body guitar that I do not use a bag for. I guess I feel that it might be too delicate.

• Members
I have a Guitar Research gig bag that I have been using for hauling my Strat around for several years. Have been really happy with it. I gig and jam a fair amount and being able to strap my guitar on my back leaves both hands free. This means one for amp and one for effects and accessories bag and one trip in from the car. Sometimes I use a hand truck to move the amp and etc and having the guitar on my back is still great.

Plenty of protection for the guitar as long as you don't put anything on top of it. I have a hollow body guitar that I do not use a bag for. I guess I feel that it might be too delicate.

Out of the bags I saw in person the Guitar Research was the nicest. If I'm not happy with the bag I ordered I will probably return it and get the Guitar Research.

Archived