POWER AMP Questions

• Members

Craig...with both amps driven at full volume on the input sensitivity...is that a fair comparison?

Do you mean the input attenuators maxed?

No -- that will not account for the difference in input sensitivity of two amps (if there is one). To do that, you need to back off the attenuators on the more sensitive amp by the appropriate amount.

What are the two amps in question?

• Members

The QSC actually has the higher input sensitivity among the two. That is unless the Crown is configured internally to its .775v mode, in which case the Crown would seem much louder for the same input.

Unfortunately, The CE1000 has a very, very poor reliability record. I'm talking failure rates of half or better at this point in their life.

• Members

Yeah, the specs are pretty similar, other than the Crown having 35w higher output @ 8ohms. And as soul-x stated, B-inger-like reliability.

I'd also have to see the listening conditions for this A/B test before I drew any more conclusions.

Actually , the Behringer EP amps have proven to be much, much more reliable than the Crown CE line...

• Members

I AB'd this 2 amps side by side through a good guy friend..cos it's too heavy for me to move it around.

We both concluded that the Crown amp gave stronger lows. Wonder why?

Were you switching both amps into a single speaker, or did you have 2 speakers. I would suspect that speaker placement (if you used 2 speakers) is a bigger factor in what you heard than the ability of the power amps themselves.

• Members

All good amps have a frequency response that is very close to flat. If an amp is producing more low end, it is probably also producing more mid and high end too. The idea that a certain amp is better suited for low end is, in my opinion, a myth. Most high end, pro touring systems use the same type of amp for all frequency ranges.

• CMS Author

Were you switching both amps into a single speaker, or did you have 2 speakers. I would suspect that speaker placement (if you used 2 speakers) is a bigger factor in what you heard than the ability of the power amps themselves.

Yep, Don knows where I was going with this, and took the shortcut ;)

• Members

Was there a HPF included on the USA series?

If the USA series was very old, it's architecture inculdes effectively output coupling caps in it's signal path (returning through the power supply). One symptom of beginning of failure is a shift down in capacitance reducing bass response.

I serviced hundreds of these amps (the RMX-850 is identical) over the years in the cinema industry.

• Members

We compared both amps with 1 speaker. The issue here is not the speaker...but with the volume maxed out, 1 amp gave a stonger bass response when playing the same song. It was not a lot of difference like night and day...but you can sure hear it.

• Members

Both amps' volume sounded the same when maxed out. One is not louder than the other. is this not fair enough?

Please re-read my post. If one amp is producing more low frequencie, it is probably louder at all frequencies. As you listen to program material at a louder volume, the lows seem to be louder in relation to other frequencies giving the illusion that a louder amp produces more low end. Were you using some sort of measuring device or were you relying on your ears?

• Members

Please re-read my post. If one amp is producing more low frequencie, it is probably louder at all frequencies. As you listen to program material at a louder volume, the lows seem to be louder in relation to other frequencies giving the illusion that a louder amp produces more low end. Were you using some sort of measuring device or were you relying on your ears?

I am serious when I said that both amps' Volume sounded the same when maxed out. Neither is louder than the other. I know it is not accurate to compare a louder amp than the other....but since both amps sound the same volume...I think it's pretty fair to compare.

• Members

Take a look at Agedhorse's post. You're talking about a ~20 year old amp with the USA model.

It is entirely likely that some component shift (especially capacitors) has occurred by this point.

Has it ever been serviced?

• CMS Author

Both amps' volume sounded the same when maxed out. One is not louder than the other. is this not fair enough?

What you describe as your testing conditions leaves so many uncontrolled variables that it's very difficult to say what could be responsible for your perceptions, vs measurable findings. It's objective results vs subjective opinion. There's no arguing either of them, but there's no comparing them fairly either.

All things considered, I'd go with Andy's comments regarding component failure starting to occur in the USA.

• Members

Take a look at Agedhorse's post. You're talking about a 20 year old amp with the USA model.

It is entirely likely that some component shift (especially capacitors) has occurred at this point.

ON the Contrary...the Crown amp was used a lot more on a fixed venue in a lounge for more than 10 years. The USA amp was kept at home and hardly used....and it is in mint condition.

I got to compare both cos the owner of both amps wanted to sell both.

Archived