How to set up this rig?

• Members

But they only go to 11 when stacked
:D
- poles reduce the output to 7.5 at best
:freak:

Seriously the marketability of a SOS rig 'round these parts for R&R is quite low
:(
so I understand the OP's dilemma.

So the issue (at least in part) is "the look"? If so, that suggests that either a non-weight supporting truss-looking object, or dummy stacks as spacers might solve that problem. A hollow, hinged, fold-out spacer box would conceal the pole and give you "the look" for minimal hassle. Same with a mocked-up truss structure, like a stage prop. It's all about theater and the show for those folks, isn't it? Your sound will be the same. Mark C.

• Members

If I don't have room to set them up side by side I'm left with this. my problem is how to "clamp" the fronts of the cabinets together. I've thought about;

1. Some sort of low profile clamps. There's a 1" lip on the cabs.

2. Drilling the front lips and putting in 1/4" T-nuts and use wing nut type bolts.

3. A plate on top of the cabs with wing nut type bolts into t-nuts in the tops of the cabs.

What do you think?

The top cabs weigh 60 lbs each but when they're strapped together they're pretty darned stable on top of the subs like this.

My suggestion?

Call me kooky, but I would take one of the cabinets, flip it upside down, and place it on top of the other one so that you have the two boxes "Horn to horn". I know, it doesn't give you the wider spread of two boxes side by side, but it is a quick fix that is a heck of a lot safer than how you currently have them - and you can strap the whole thing together.

• Members

My suggestion?

Call me kooky, but I would take one of the cabinets, flip it upside down, and place it on top of the other one so that you have the two boxes "Horn to horn". I know, it doesn't give you the wider spread of two boxes side by side, but it is a quick fix that is a heck of a lot safer than how you currently have them - and you can strap the whole thing together.

This would work as well if the horizontal coverage is adequate.

• Members
So the issue (at least in part) is "the look"? If so, that suggests that either a non-weight supporting truss-looking object, or dummy stacks as spacers might solve that problem. A hollow, hinged, fold-out spacer box would conceal the pole and give you "the look" for minimal hassle. Same with a mocked-up truss structure, like a stage prop. It's all about theater and the show for those folks, isn't it? Your sound will be the same. Mark C.

The "look" is probably more important to the band than the audience. The band isn't gonna be pleased with collapsible fake boxes. OTOH I suspect one could make some killer spacers out of some blown up JRX 2x15's :D .

• Members

The "look" is probably more important to the band than the audience. The band isn't gonna be pleased with collapsible fake boxes. OTOH I suspect one could make some killer spacers out of some blown up JRX 2x15's

thats easy. stop working with douches. try it, its much more pleasant. i gave up working for douches a couple years ago and i find it quite nice.

only issue with this policy is that one of my employers seems to hire a few douche performers throughout the year that i deal with on my stage.

i have told bands before and i will tell them again; if you dont like what i do then dont call me. but do not call me and then complain about my service. there are bands/persons i will not work for no matter what; somehow i am always booked that night.

• Members

Well, I just got back from setup & soundcheck. I set up thusly; 2 subs side by side on the floor with the 4722x's on sticks on the subs. To me, it looks kinda goofy, but it sounds good and covers the room. The room is a semi outdoor deck under a real roof about 60' wide x80' deep with about 14' ceiling. No real room acoustics to deal with.

This is also the first time I've used the double rig. I reracked my amps so that I've got 2 racks with 2 amps in each. I run the right side out of the Driverack thru a stage snake to the right side rack and I just made some 20' speaker snakes which coil nicely in the racks. I was concerned about powering the 4-4ohm sub cabinets and I just got a couple of Peavey IPR-3000's which I'm running one sub per amp channel. I'm running the 2 4722x's on either side in parallel to present a 4 ohm load to 1 channel each of 2 QSC PLX-3602's. The amps are just bumping and it sounds nice. I'll take some action shots tonight.

And Coaster- this is the band I play in and I tell them the same thing. They say I'm the nicest A**hole they've ever worked with.

• Members

Well, I just got back from setup & soundcheck. I set up thusly; 2 subs side by side on the floor with the 4722x's on sticks on the subs. To me, it looks kinda goofy, but it sounds good and covers the room.

... and you thought your cobbled together stack didn't look goofy? Well anyway.... you will sound better the way you've set up for tonight, and that will help you get used to the look - which is a fairly common and normal thing to most everyone else.

Edit: Have fun tonight! :thu:

• Members

The "look" is probably more important to the band than the audience. The band isn't gonna be pleased with collapsible fake boxes. OTOH I suspect one could make some killer spacers out of some blown up JRX 2x15's

It hadn't occurred to me that it was the band that was listening with their eyes. Mark C.

• Members

Well, it's not much, but here's a pic.

IMG_0071.jpg

Had a problem last night. Halfway thru the 2nd song of the night the Driverack took a dump. Completely lost output and the LCD screen was blank-or should I say full-every "pixel" was dark. I tried rebooting it a couple of times and Nada. So I bypassed it and used the amp filters. 10 min. later we were up and running again and I'm probably the only one that noticed, but I was nervous knowing I didn't have any limiting on the mains. I had consciously set the amp racks where I could see them while on stage and I could see we weren't hitting them very hard, but I didn't enjoy the first set very much. I was too stressed. But it was Cinco de Mayo and most of the crowd was drunk and having a good time, so I eventually got over it.Time for a new Driverack PA.:mad:

• Members

Well this is strange. I just pulled the DRPA and plugged it in and it appears to be working. I hate this...I'm gonna set it on my desk and just pound it for a week or so.

Does anybody know if the Driverack users' group is still active?

• Members

Two things.1) Your P.A. LOOKS a hell of a lot better in picture #2. 2) Get a real crossover,and pitch that expensive paperweight!!! Sorry,just had to say it!!! Lol I'm glad you got your system running,and I'm sure it kicks major ass!!! These Driverack,and powered speaker horror stories really make me feel for all parties involved.A DBX223XL is always a good friend to have around.

• Members

I dunno, I like all the DR has to offer, although I could do the EQ & Limiting in the O1v...I just reseated the display ribbon cable as I read this was a problem. So far, so good.Maybe I'll find a good x-over to use as a backup. The setup for these SR-4x's isn't that complicated. In fact, it's pretty basic.

• Members

If you need that wide of coverage, I would use a small scaffolding. You can get them at home depo, lowes or any type of hardware store. I have some aluminum ones that are light and cost about 100 bucks each.

• Members

Were there any lights on the DRPA? By any chance did the IEC power cable come loose? This is the number one cause for "failure". Were the pixels on or off on the display... can't tell if you just lost power and didn't realize.

I have installed about 40 of the DRPA's and DR260's and have not had any failures at all, and some are operated 7 days a week. most are ~3-5 years old.

• Members

Were there any lights on the DRPA? By any chance did the IEC power cable come loose? This is the number one cause for "failure". Were the pixels on or off on the display... can't tell if you just lost power and didn't realize.

I have installed about 40 of the DRPA's and DR260's and have not had any failures at all, and some are operated 7 days a week. most are ~3-5 years old.

No, it was definitely a failure. The power LED was still on and when I rebooted it, all the LED's did their dance, and the screen backlight came up. I did a search and found on this forum, a suggestion that it's the LED board ribbon cable, so I opened it up and reseated the cable. So far, so good. I've got 3 weeks before the next gig, so we'll see.

• Members

Yeah, we ran ours for years gigging every weekend and then some, with no drive rack glitches.

The amphitheater my band just played last weekend had the 260's for their big flown rig, and that rig has been in place for a while!

All gear can suffer failures, so there is no need to be afraid of DRPA's or powered speakers. FOr the most part, you should fear the users of the equipment, that is where most of the issues I've seen actually came from...

Archived