Just bought a set of KV2s

• Members

My go to system has been KV2's EX10's over a single EX2.2 for more than ten years at 98% of the business I do...

Bill - what size crowds can that handle comfortably? How about if you add a second EX2.2?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bill - what size crowds can that handle comfortably? How about if you add a second EX2.2?

That would certainly depend upon the type and style of program material being run through it along with the nature of the venue. I've done public address and background music with just the EX10's that could be cleanly and clearly heard at a guarter of mile. I did a karaoke event out doors with around 400 attending with the 10's and one 2.2 and didn't see anything but green.

If I had to buy my three speakers again at today's pricing the investment would be a bit over 8 grand.

• Members

It is funny how a solid honest SPL rating can appear so dim compared to the new breed of the latest and greatest crop of super MI speakers. I have a rather dated pair of FBT Maxx4a's with a dismal SPL rating of 123db's. Yet the simpley leave all my super speakers behind and they are all rated at 129 to 130+ db's.

I'm sure your KX12's will smoke my FBT'S, no questions there amigo!

• Members

Well, just had a quick test/listen/comparison to a few of my powered speakers. While none come close to the mid clarity that makes the KV2s shine, I did still really enjoy the overall sound quality of my RCFs and DXRs although they both have more of a laid back hi-fi sound which is nice in a small studio setting and smaller venues too. In a bigger hall, the KV2s will definitely shine in terms of intelligibility at a distance IMO. As for my NX55Ps who's deep low frequencies remain unmatched by any 12'' top I've heard yet, they really seemed to be missing something in the mids and were my least favorite sounding in terms of mid and high frequency response. They still bottom out/limit prematurely IMO given their printed specs. No, I didn't plug in the Titans although I do still like many things about them - just not the sound of the horn at higher volumes. ;) At lower volumes and with some EQ, they're not a bad sounding box though. (unless directly compared to the KV2s, RCF, Yamahas and Yorkvilles :facepalm:). They are light, loud and have a great mixer section however, which does make them very useful in many situations.

Al

• Members

I always thought "better" woofers had cast frame baskets versus stamped steel. Interesting that my RCF's 300 and 500 series all have stamped baskets as does your KV2.

With the light Neo magnets stamped frame baskets should be ok.

Dookietwo

• Members

There is a slight drawback with stamped steel baskets where the magnetic field is distorted (and weakened a little) by the steel that alters the magnetic circuit.

You learn something new every day ;) This was mine for today.

• Members

I was wondering if the neo had anything to do with it. Does the stronger magnetic field of neo negate some of the side effects like the weakened field?

It can help, more to start with means more available to lose.

The top plate is the part of the magnetic circuit where this has the most effect, and that doesn't change. There is more stray field from the ceramic donut and frankly I don't know enough about the contribution of the individual parts to comment with authority. The total loss of efficiency is on the order of (rough number) maybe 1/3-3/4dB from what I have seen based on like types of speakers the only difference being the basket.

Archived