Just bought a set of KV2s

• Members

Well, my YX15Ps are now for sale since I stumbled upon a superb deal on some KV2 KX12s I just couldn't pass up. They aren't the EX line, but the more affordable (yet still surprisingly expensive) KX line. From what I've read, they should sound outstanding and feature some nice components including a 2.5'' VC HF driver with 1.4'' exit which hopefully will be a good compromise between the 1'' and 2'' exit horns. Should be getting them early next week so I will report back... It is not like me to buy online and not from my dealer but I have been very curious about KV2 for a while now and since they were selling at the same price as a set of YX15Ps and come with full warranty- I just could not resist. Here is a review on the KX cabs :

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/jul09/articles/kxaudio.htm

Al

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, same price as an entry level speaker! That would indeed be a steal. Performance wise, given the specs and reputation of KV2 they should be close to an RCF 500/700 series or FBT ProMaxx, which in costs roughly 3X what you're paying (assuming the price differences are the same in Canada as the USA).

• Members

"since they were selling at the same price as a set of YX15Ps "

Looks like Al got himself a real bargain here. According to the retail price, which is posted at the upper right-hand corner of the link, they're 1200 Pounds Sterling. Not clear if that's "each", or a pair. The subs' price is clearly stated as "each", but not the tops.

At 27Kg's, they're not exactly light-weights. HPF is at 125Hz.

• Members

Al, I know I've given you a bunch of cr@p over the years, but this is a
very
nice pickup for you. Bravo.

Thanks, I appreciate it DCastar. :thu: For the record, I paid 1000$ inluding taxes and shipping for the pair. They retail at approximately 3X that...

Al

• Members

I found them on Ebay.ca from a dealer in Quebec. The listing indicates pick up only offered, but I asked if it was possible to ship and they gave me a quote of 30$ per speaker which is excellent for 60lb speakers IMO. The weight is abit on the high side for cabs that have both neo LF and HF drivers, so I figure they must be damn well built...

I will give you the link shortly but I must go out to the pool to swim with my daughters... It's like 30 degrees celcius! Talk to yous soon...

Al

• Members

Well I show up here to learn and there I go and learn of a manufacturer I've never heard of. Excellent. From what some of the heavies are saying.....you scored big time Al. Hey dcastar what would you compare these to?

Mind you, I've only heard their EX line, and the KX is a more 'value' oriented model. The EX's I've heard could easily hold their own against RCF TT or Turbosound TQ's.

Based solely off of that, and the "KV2" brand name quality... I'd venture to say the KX's being aimed towards the upper end of the MI segment. So think QSC KW or DAS Avant.

• Members

Mind you, I've only heard their EX line, and the KX is a more 'value' oriented model. The EX's I've heard could easily hold their own against RCF TT or Turbosound TQ's.

Based solely off of that, and the "KV2" brand name quality... I'd venture to say the KX's being aimed towards the upper end of the MI segment. So think QSC KW or DAS Avant.

Very nice, thanks for this.

• Members

Keep in mind, these things won't get super-loud... but they're certainly going to be a step up in clarity from what you're used to.

Definitely a great find for only $1000.

For typical DJ duty playing CD music in small to medium venues (and small live stuff), they should be more than adequate. I'm thinking they should get as loud as anything I currently own but should sound even nicer... I'm hoping the more substantial horns + 1.4'' exit will improve throw in bigger places. I will certainly test them and report back as soon as I get to test them out.

Al

• Members

For typical DJ duty playing CD music in small to medium venues (and small live stuff), they should be more than adequate. I'm thinking they should get as loud as anything I currently own but should sound even nicer... I'm hoping the more substantial horns + 1.4'' exit will improve throw in bigger places. I will certainly test them and report back as soon as I get to test them out.

Al

You really should notice the throw. I brought a single RCF 322A to my nephew's graduation party and streamed internet radio through it. It was in a room that was probably 50 x 70. Standing back about 3/4 of the way in the room I asked my wife about the volume and she said it sounded good, but wondered how loud it was closer up. As we walked closer it didn't get a lot louder. I explained why, not that she cared, except for that's why I spent the money on larger exit compression drivers. So what you'll notice is that the highs can keep up with the lows versus the mid-bass mud you can get with 1" drivers as you go towards the back of a venue and out of the coverage. The benefit ends up being you don't have to blow out the front of the room to get sound to the back and can run the overall SPL lower.

• Members

Have you ever heard these brand of speakers live? or anyone here?

I am certain that some here have heard the KV2s, but maybe not this model. Bill sells them at ESC and uses KV2 regularly. A friend of mine was looking to upgrade his gear a while back. He went and heard the KV2s (again not this model) and said they sounded great, but was not sure they hit the target SPL so he bought KF650s. I take his review as endorsement because of the level of gear he was looking to get. If these are anything like the KV2 main line, they should sound very good.

Archived