Just bought a set of KV2s

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That eBay link is SoloTech's eBay store. They're a HUGE outfit. located in east-end Montreal. You'll find just about anything there. That's where I first listened to the Yammie DSR's, and where I saw the Meyer-Sound UP-juniors. It's a very impressive operation,,,,world-class.

• Members

KV2s have arrived! Unfortunately I am at work and my day will surely be the longest one ever...

Al

tic-toc-tic-toc ;)

Al, we're ALL waiting with you. I hope they sound even better than anticipated. :thu:

PS. We want a complete evaluation BEFORE you go to bed. ;)

• Members

Waiting.......waiting.....winning-not! LOL

I think you will really like these and can offer your clients a higher end box that probably a lot of your competitors can't. I haven't heard this box but I have heard the EX10 and it's awesome. I liked the EX10 better than the L'acoustics 108p. The top end seamed sweeter.

• Members

tic-toc-tic-toc
;)

Al, we're ALL waiting with you. I hope they sound even better than anticipated.
:thu:

PS. We want a complete evaluation BEFORE you go to bed.
;)

As good as these will probably sound in my studio, I have a feeling what seperates these from your typical MI speakers will become apparent only in use at a gig. I have a feeling I won't get these into limiting in my studio... Will post pics and first impressions tonight my friends. You know, there are still 2 pairs available. 820$ a pair + tax and shipping :-)

Al

• Members

Well, to start off I have to say how much I love the clean, professional look and especially finish of these speakers. When the seller said they were new condition store demos, he sure was telling the truth as these really do look NEW. They feel EXTREMELY solid and although they are somewhat heavy, the handles seem to be just at the right place to make moving them quite comfortable.

OK, so what are my first impressions after listening to them for an hour or so? Well, out of the box the KX12s do not have the somewhat mid scooped, hyped low end and hyped high end sound that I have come used to with the recent powered speakers I've tested. Out of the box, the best way I can describe the KX12s is neutral - something like a studio monitor who's sound you don't love right away but you get used to. Increasing the volume I did gradually notice those lows and highs coming to life and also a mid/vocal presence that I don't often hear. I could tell I was dealing with a bigger horn with more of the sound coming through it than I am accustomed to. Slightly boosting the top end +3DB and low end +3DB on my mixer channel gave some sparkle and deeper thump to the cabs and turning up the volume now simply gave me a big grin. How could I describe the sound? CLEAR, powerful, effortless? Though capable of sweet highs, the horns also bring a clarity in the mids that will absolutely make the KX12s heard in places bigger than my studio - places they were designed to ROCK. Low frequency was strong, deep and controlled. These 12s will compete favourably with many 15s IMO. To sum it up, I am very impressed with the KV2 KX12s I've had the good luck of finding on EBay. I can't wait to get home again tommorow afternoon and listen to then again. I have to admit it took a few minutes to get used to these speakers as they have such a different sound compared to what I'm used to, but by the end of my hour of listening I couldn't wait to listen to them again and especially to get them out to a gig. I did not reach their limit in my studio, so you know. I do value my hearing and the mid clarity provided by these cabs is a little too much to be handled safely in this small space. I will report back soon...

Al

• Members

Nice review Al. Just imagine what the EX and ES lines sound like.

You've touched on what makes KV2 different, there is not a change to the worse when output is pushed, but rather that is where the cabinets excel, there is no change, simply reproduction that's louder.

• Members

Nice review Al. Just imagine what the EX and ES lines sound like.

You've touched on what makes KV2 different, there is not a change to the worse when output is pushed, but rather that is where the cabinets excel, there is no change, simply reproduction that's louder.

I know gain sensitivity will vary from one powered speaker to another, but with the KV2s gain knob at 0DB (unity/middle setting), I was reaching what I would consider serious SPL levels with my Peavey PV10 master VUs reading -12DB. The horns on these cabs are almost the size of the woofer and provide a mid clarity that I often find lacking in most other speakers. What I found nice is that the horn seems to have both the qualities of a 2'' and 1'' exit all in one - that is to say mid clarity/projection while being able to provide the sweet top end if you ask it to.

Al

• Members

And that's KV2's entry level offering.

I have to say Bill, you were right on the money with your praise of the KV2 audio stuff. Sorry I occasionally gave you a hard time - especially about their retail price, but even after just one hour of playing with them - I can tell these are SERIOUS powered cabinets. I really had to hear it for myself. I still can't believe the price I got them for. The retail on ONE of these is about 1700$...

Al

• Members

Al, your questioning my postings were taken with a grain of salt as I knew you have never heard a KV2 product.

My go to system has been KV2's EX10's over a single EX2.2 for more than ten years at 98% of the business I do and I keep quite busy.

There is a big difference between the MI offerings and the Pro league.

• Members

If I didn't have so much work on my desk, I could really see myself calling in sick tommorow to play with my new toys. :lol: An hour simply wasn't enough. What a week! A new pair of Yamaha DXR8s and a pair of KV2 KX12s. :love: I can honestly say I am very happy with both of these purchases. I would like to thank God and also my wife and also the EBay seller and also all the little people that made these things happen...

Al

• Members

I was just going to post the following animated GIF, but I need to add: Al, I'm glad you've finally gotten to experience the next level up, above the MI grade speakers. :) I'm still amazed you got that smokin of a deal on the KX's.

2a2_6c0023df4bff9ebd3chongliplay5smean3d

• Members

Dear ears : I promise I will try to never again subject you to the SPL levels experienced in my little studio a few minutes ago trying to get my KV2 speakers' limit light to activate. Your friend, Al.

That's funny Al. I've still yet to see my RCF 522A's limit. The few times I've had them outside at a gig I could open them up on I've gotten scared before I see the light and back down. I'd also be woefully under subbed if I cranked them wide open.

• Members

I was just going to post the following animated GIF, but I need to add: Al, I'm glad you've finally gotten to experience the next level up, above the MI grade speakers.
:)
I'm still amazed you got that smokin of a deal on the KX's.

2a2_6c0023df4bff9ebd3chongliplay5smean3d

Thanks dcastar. The price was incredible (the 1025$ included 13% taxes AND shipping) and I figured I wasn't going to have this opportunity ever again to experience such a level of performance - as KV2 dealers are very hard to find anywhere. It's not only the sound of these speakers that impresses me, it's the quality of the finish, the use of top quality components and the ''play louder for longer'' boast from KV2 referring to the fact that every effort was made to make sure these speakers do not suffer from the typical power compression that happens to many powered speakers (and passive as well) after playing at high levels for a while.

Another thing I realized, is that I will have to stop paying too much attention to numbers printed by manufacturers as (for example) I don't understand how the KX12s and NX55Ps can be rated at the same power and SPL output capability. The NX55Ps are actually rated at 131DB max which is 5DBs more than the KV2s are rated BUT this just doesn't make sense to me after what I have experienced last night and tonight in my high level listening.(and my inability to get the KV2s to limit)

Perhaps I will have to test them both at the same time, but I just don't see the NX55P reaching anywhere near 131DBs if these KX12s do 126DBs max... I guess some testing should be done (for fun) next week. I guess the mid clarity from the bigger horn on the KV2 simply makes them clearer and appear significantly louder than more mid challenged boxes?

Al

• Members

Another thing I realized, is that I will have to stop paying too much attention to numbers printed by manufacturers as (for example) I don't understand how the KX12s and NX55Ps can be rated at the same power and SPL output capability. The NX55Ps are actually rated at 131DB max which is 5DBs more than the KV2s are rated
BUT
this just doesn't make sense to me after what I have experienced last night and tonight in my high level listening.(and my inability to get the KV2s to limit)

Perhaps I will have to test them both at the same time, but I just don't see the NX55P reaching anywhere near 131DBs if these KX12s do 126DBs max... I guess some testing should be done (for fun) next week. I guess the mid clarity from the bigger horn on the KV2 simply makes them clearer and appear significantly louder than more mid challenged boxes?

Al

Kind of like how the YX15P's can get as loud as the NX55P's? And that's the same manufacturer! Just ask the folks on Wall St. about numbers, they can be manipulated practically any way you want.

• Members

That's funny Al. I've still yet to see my RCF 522A's limit. The few times I've had them outside at a gig I could open them up on I've gotten scared before I see the light and back down. I'd also be woefully under subbed if I cranked them wide open.

RCF does make some great boxes. I do still love my little 310As and am also very happy with my new compact and flexible DXR8s but I am just temporarily blown away by the output and clarity of the KX12s. It took some getting use to the sound, but now I can't stop listening to them and feel like I could take on almost any powered 12'' speakers out there and blow them away.

At this point, after having used/tested RCFs, Yamaha DSR and DXRs and KV2s I am afraid that connecting my Wharfedale Titans for an audition will make me throw up. :lol:

Al

• Members

Kind of like how the YX15P's can get as loud as the NX55P's? And that's the same manufacturer! Just ask the folks on Wall St. about numbers, they can be manipulated practically any way you want.

I have found this too. Although the YX15Ps don't go as deep in their response as the NX55Ps, they do seem to get as loud before limiting and actually sound better into limiting than the NX55Ps. All reasons why I have always found the YX15Ps to be such a great value for the price and such a great choice for musicians and DJs on a budget. You defenitely get your money's worth!

Archived