Cheaters do in fact prosper sometimes

wankdeplank

• Members

Had some pickups layin around after the overhauls on my Hamer HB Special and my Gibson Les Paul (actually put the 490R/498T pair back in due to static issues). Never really considered putting something better in my Carlo Robelli 335 copy, not because I thought it couldn't benefit but only because I really didn't want to do the floss removal of all my electronics drill. Anyway, I played the thing last night and realized that in the neck position it was suckin hind tit (I like the bridge tone). So decided to give this "cheat" method a try. Well all I can say is that I got it apart and hotwired the damn thing and what do you know I got caught. Mod cheaters jail for me. Did about three hours actually, trying to figure out where the dang short was. Got it finally and it's all good in the hood. That SD 59 was a huge improvement over the stocker. Really works well in this guitar, more body warmth and depth with excellent clarity.

PS Thanks Billy.

• Members

I know you posted that as being controversial but I really hate seeing garbage work being done like that on instruments.

Pulling the volume pot out to get to the solder joint properly is no big deal. All a solder joint like that does is increase the possibility for hum.

Cutting a guitar pup lead that short renders it useless too most. Epi pups are wax potted making a rewire a bastard. You have to pull the cover, remove all the potting wax and hope you can get to the coil solder joints to replace the wires and get a good solder joint with all that wax, then re-pot it after you get it back together. All that takes way more time then just removing the volume pot in the first place.

Its true Epi Pups aren't worth much because there are so many of them, but they aren't bad pickups when compared to many others. I'm guessing they will be thrown out instead of given to some kid who would really appreciate them. (I figured if they're too lazy or inept to do the job right, they probably wont be salvaging the old pups)

Also many skilled techs will take used pickups as partial or full payment for replacing them properly. May advice is, do the job right and you'll never have to do it again

• Members

Quiet as a church mouse and you're right, that old plinky sounding pickup is in the trash where it belongs. If I were to ever have another problem with it, which I highly doubt, I can now access the wire through the F hole. I know you're a tech and so your reaction is understandable, but as a guy that doesn't have a lot of free time and not enough patience or cash to drop it off and wait a couple weeks, this fit the bill nicely. Actually a whole lot easier than soldering to a lug and a volume pot (my own electrical ineptitude is all that slowed me down and it definitely would have been worse the other way). Anyway, the way I see it, time saved working on a guitar is time I can spend actually enjoying the dang thing.

• Members

Here is another option.. A friend whose into RC airpanes suggested these little connectors.

They should be available at most hobby stores

I haven't tried them yet because I hate to cut the pickup leads but they would be great if you change pickups oftenfetch?id=31487340

• Members

I don't have any problem doing that on an inexpensive guitar plus the Epiphone pickups aren't worth $10.00 to anyone who knows anything about guitars anyway. I do an inline splice and use small heat shrink tubing over the solder joints and a larger heat shrink over the entire cable to make it a bit nicer than the hack job in the video.

I also have used the gel-filled phone line butt splice connectors which work just fine. They sell 4 and 6 wire connectors so you can do the whole connection with a single crimp of a plier. The dielectric gel inside keeps the connections from oxidizing.

• Members

So right. That is awfully slick but only if you are a compulsive pickup changer as the initial job requires a bit more work. I've run across many on these boards that would benefit from a set-up like that. I remember Doc Jeff once revealed his boxes full of old and mostly high-end pickups.

• Members
I don't have any problem doing that on an inexpensive guitar plus the Epiphone pickups aren't worth $10.00 to anyone who knows anything about guitars anyway. I do an inline splice and use small heat shrink tubing over the solder joints and a larger heat shrink over the entire cable to make it a bit nicer than the hack job in the video.

I also have used the gel-filled phone line butt splice connectors which work just fine. They sell 4 and 6 wire connectors so you can do the whole connection with a single crimp of a plier. The dielectric gel inside keeps the connections from oxidizing.

Wow, sounds like you are totally high tech. Heat shrink sounds like the way to go for sure. I started out using electrician's tape (man I hate that stuff) and had to cut it off a couple times because like the video, I didn't have a lot of old pickup wire to work with and initially had the lead and ground touching. Ended up using an old splice connector I had laying around for the lead. Doesn't sound like the fancy phone line stuff you're referring to though. Maybe it is, I don't know, can't even remember where I got a hold of them, didn't see any gel in the end, only copper.

And you're right, if it was a guitar I'd spent several thousand dollars for, I'd probably shell out to have the job done right. But as it is, after a DIY nut install and neck pickup swap, I swear this baby is a total 335 killer (really does sound like an expensive Gibson). These Korean made Robelli's are getting the internet buzz as great little sleeper guitars. Impressed with the attention to detail in the routes as well - really well built guitars from the retired Sam Ash line.

• Members
Enjoyed your vid even though I don't own a hollow or semi-hollow body. Glad you're enjoying the new pickups.

Thanks DE, much appreciated. Just replaced the one actually, the neck with an SD 59. I just happened to have a zebra one (taken out from my Hamer Special) that was a perfect match for the Robelli (stock zebras). Did a google search and discovered that the 59 was a popular choice for semis and hollows because it's full sounding but just a tad on the mid scooped side which keeps it from getting too woofy from the acoustic properties of the guitar. Then I found the cheat vid which gave me, a rank amateur tech, the green light to install. Really couldn't be happier with it - even the middle position is amazing now.

• Members

Yea, as a tech its the training that makes that kind of work objectionable. You have management, coworkers and customers all wanting the work to be done right and it becomes a matter of pride that doesn't let you do a half assed job. The jobs you do right your able to completely forget. The ones you take short cuts on always come back an haunt you.

You develop this 3D vision where you can see past the exterior into what's working right inside, kind of like X-ray vision. I don't even like playing instruments I haven't given my best over something in proper order, even if it is functioning properly at the moment. Its stupid of course but something that perfectionists understand.

I work with about 25 techs on my day job who do field work every day. They are trained to do top quality work and for the most part do. Sometimes they "have" to rig a customer up to keep them limping along while they order new parts to fix it right. The customers appreciate this so long as the guy comes back and completes the work properly.

Sometimes you get guys who doesn't follow up (for whatever reason) This really pisses off another tech who go behind him and fix it right, especially if that fix fails and makes the repair job even worse. Techs police their own and if they guy doesn't get the word that their kind of shabby work isn't tolerated, then its eventually passed up to the manager. Most are allowed to correct their bad habits and those who don't are let go because the job is tough enough doing things the right way.

I know of one tech who hot wired a fuse to get a machine going and it would up burning down a building down and killing someone. Very stupid thing to do for a $.30 cent part. I bet that guy whose doing jail time now is wishing he had taken the extra time to do it right. Sloppy work is a habitual problem and a reflection of what's going on inside a person. In this guys case that short cut attitude came back and hit him like a ton of bricks. Its no different then a guy who regularly runs the stop sign at the corner. Odds are he will run into someone eventually.

Techs who do this stuff don't last long in the business for good reason. You get one stinker and he can really screw up everyone's life. Besides making your own job more difficult, word gets out and you can easily loose all your customers. Just take a look at how Toyota lost their standing in the business over some gas pedal issue. The problem didn't even exist but it nearly ruined them just the same.

Archived