• Members

Looks almost like a regular PC power supply back there... odd.

I will say that the scariest part about all these digital mixers, to me, is the fact that you're reliant on no software failures. At our second show with the StudioLive, I went to mix from my iPad but apparently the iPad app had updated and the software on the computer hadn't, because it's not allowed on the Internet at all. Fortunately I had Mobile Hotspot on my phone, so I turned that on and allowed the laptop to update. When it did, it said it needed to update the firmware on the board, and then started -- no warning or anything. I was absolutely in panic mode because there's five musicians on that stage plugging stuff in, we're still running cables, and I know at least in the PC world that if the power goes out during a firmware upgrade, you're SOL. I had to yell out for everyone on stage to meet me up front so we could "go over details for the show", using that as an excuse to get them the hell away from the power outlets.

• Members
At our second show with the StudioLive, I went to mix from my iPad but apparently the iPad app had updated and the software on the computer hadn't, because it's not allowed on the Internet at all. Fortunately I had Mobile Hotspot on my phone, so I turned that on and allowed the laptop to update. When it did, it said it needed to update the firmware on the board, and then started -- no warning or anything. I was absolutely in panic mode

:eek:

• Members

Almost?

It's got a sticker on it that says "ATX"

Anybody have a good idea what the reliability metrics are for PC power supplies, and how different the grades are? Ie. are there high reliability power supplies in the ATX format that are as reliable as something purpose built?

I don't see any redundant supply here, that would certainly help IMO.

I know it's possible to design VERY reliable SMPS, but for the computer market, do high rel. servers use the same power supply or is that where you see the differences?

• Members

PC supplies come in all grades from "Behringer" to "Lab Gruppen" ;) - the trick is figuring out which is which :( . The better ones have quieter fans and are more efficient. The high end gamers are probably the folks most up on what power supplies are best :) . I think I've even seen redundant supplies in the ATX format?

Personally I dislike high-end digital boards with the pre's built into the console. That's just so last century. Why would anyone buy this one over an iLive?

• Members

Personally I dislike high-end digital boards with the pre's built into the console. That's just so last century. Why would anyone buy this one over an iLive?

Cost, expecially if you already have good installed copper infrastructure. I already have 40 pair of good copper and a splitter installed in my house gig, so it's no big deal to me either way.

Also, if you have wireless and a lot of playback that lives at FOH, you would need another break-out into the console if you didn't have the physical inputs.

• Members
Cost, expecially if you already have good installed copper infrastructure. I already have 40 pair of good copper and a splitter installed in my house gig, so it's no big deal to me either way.

I wuz thinkin' more about portable systems :) .

Also, if you have wireless and a lot of playback that lives at FOH, you would need another break-out into the console if you didn't have the physical inputs.

The cheapest iLive surface has 8 inputs I think :) .

• Members

I wuz thinkin' more about portable systems
:)

If you don't already have a splitter and snake, the it would make sense, but if you already have one (I have a 32x8x225' snake w/ split and split truunks already) then you are trading off convenience for cost.

• Members

If you don't already have a splitter and snake, the it would make sense, but if you already have one (I have a 32x8x225' snake w/ split and split truunks already) then you are trading off convenience for cost.

It would also make sense if you're touring with just a console. It's a far safer bet that you'll have access to an analog snake @ FOH than you will an AES50 snake.

-Dan.

• Members

You will be hard pressed to get a ATX PSU that is redundant. However there are plenty of ATX PSU's that are very reliable and can be counted on. Again the wattage needs to be looked at and on what rails it needs to be sourced from. The mixer in this case may need a different voltage which can be obtained from a PC power supply by configuring the wiring differently. Generally your computer will be running on 12V, hard drives 5V. Some have more rails than others and some will simply have one 12V rail. ATX PSU's for the computer have grown in size, longer generally so in keeping with the ATX standard on the back of your computer case.

One computer I have runs a 1600 Watt power supply and a 15 Amp breaker on the power plug that comes as standard.

You need to look at power supplies just like amplifiers and see what is really going on.

• Members

Anybody have a good idea what the reliability metrics are for PC power supplies, and how different the grades are? Ie. are there high reliability power supplies in the ATX format that are as reliable as something purpose built?

I don't see any redundant supply here, that would certainly help IMO.

I know it's possible to design VERY reliable SMPS, but for the computer market, do high rel. servers use the same power supply or is that where you see the differences?

I've had computer systems ranging from rack mounted blade servers to huge mainframes run for well over a year without any downtime.

I can't remember the last time I've heard of a Power Supply failure.

That said, many have redundant, hot swappable PS in case one does fail.

Archived