• Members

I've had computer systems ranging from rack mounted blade servers to huge mainframes run for well over a year without any downtime.

I can't remember the last time I've heard of a Power Supply failure.

That said, many have redundant, hot swappable PS in case one does fail.

No failure in whole year??? That's not very demanding IMO.

I am talking about something on the order of 99% reliability (not counting things like a broken fader or something very minor) over 10-15 years across the entire production. This is more or less what a pro grade console is expected to deliver... or at least what us older school folks would expect when putting down as much money as we do on a console.

• CMS Author

No failure in whole year??? That's not very demanding IMO.

In fairness, in IT, having zero downtime in a 24/7/365 data center within a year is an accomplishment. This typically includes firmware and software as well as hardware. There's also a huge number of servers and related hardware in any corporation-sized data center. Most of the stuff is running constantly for years with zero maintenance. On the other hand, there's a high likelyhood that there actually were failures and replacements, but conservative design will dictate redundancy and allow swap-out of failed components without taking a system off-line.

• Members

In fairness, in IT, having zero downtime in a 24/7/365 data center within a year is an accomplishment. This typically includes firmware and software as well as hardware. There's also a huge number of servers and related hardware in any corporation-sized data center. Most of the stuff is running constantly for years with zero maintenance. On the other hand, there's a high likelyhood that there actually were failures and replacements, but conservative design will dictate redundancy and allow swap-out of failed components without taking a system off-line.

Exactly, I suspect that real industrial/commercial servers are using a significantly different grade power supply, backed up be heavily conditioned (on a industrial scale) power, with hot swap redundant supplies, operating in a cool and fixed environment, with fault tolerant everything else. There is significant cost to this operating model.

Quite a bit different than how a typical mid grade live sound console is operated. As you move up the food chain, hardware design becomes more and more robust... my question is where this product fits with regard to this?

• Members

What sort of power consumption can we expect from this new console?

Is the power supply fitted really up to the task and what are the specs of this power supply, manufacturer and internals, good quality caps etc ...

• Members

What sort of power consumption can we expect from this new console?

Is the power supply fitted really up to the task and what are the specs of this power supply, manufacturer and internals, good quality caps etc ...

I would not expect them to name their OEM supplier. Regardless, I really doubt that that this desks draws more power than, say, a high-end gaming computer with a couple of power hungry video cards and a top-end cpu all running full-tilt.

-Dan.

Archived