Short story and a Mic question

• Members

Ok - the story - last night - three singers - two had sennheiser wireless mics (not sure of the model numbers) one had a shure wireless (looks like an SM58) the guys with the sennheisers were able to get really loud and sounded great with no feedback issues. The one with the shure was not able to get loud without feedback. (w floor monitors)

The question - I want to help the singer who was not able to get loud. so I asked the first singer what model and he said a sennheiser e 500 that cost about $500 bucks. I'm looking for it now and I don't see that price and model combination anywhere.

If you were recommending a new wireless mic in this situation (

• Members

There were so many good suggestions early in this thread that I didn't bother putting my 1.5 cents in. But just to reinforce what others have said... at this point there is no proof that the SM58 is the "lack of volume" culprit. If the singer was weak, had poor technique, or was fighting monitors that had been eq'd to the Senns then just spending money on a Sennheiser isn't going to do much (except possibly for the monitor aspect). Further, there is no proof a new mic would even suit that person's voice. To me that's square one, getting the proper mic for a particular voice. And generally a 58 is a good place to start, although yes, there are many other options.

To put it another way, I once saw a guy playing an expensive Fender Strat, who was jamming with a guy playing a Tokai (early Japanese knock-off). The guy with the Tokai sounded and played way better. Should the other guy with the Strat have dumped his guitar or instead, taken guitar lessons?

Having said all that, there is the possibility the mic could be the wrong choice BUT make sure that's the case before making a switch.

• Members

The Shure likely had the transmitter gain too high (they all come out of the box set too high) and was clipping, thus acting as a "dirty" limiter. Turn the transmitter down and the receiver up and see if that helps.

• Members

The Shure likely had the transmitter gain too high (they all come out of the box set too high) and was clipping, thus acting as a "dirty" limiter. Turn the transmitter down and the receiver up and see if that helps.

How did you get to this point from the symptoms that Joe provided? Wild ass guess?

I suppose it's a REMOTE possibility but likely, with a weak singer? Very unlikely.

• Members

Sennheiser ew 152 G3 Wireless Headset Microphone System
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sennheiser-ew-152-G3-Wireless-Headset-Microphone-System-105472997-i1461041.gc

Do these work well for someone with a not very powerful voice?

A definite maybe. I use one of these; on my "weak" days it works fine, and I have to turn it down on days (or for some songs) when my voice is stronger. That said... Sennheiser makes some hand-held wireless mikes, too, and unless your singer really needs a headmic those might be better options. With the headmic, the singer cannot easily take advantage of controlling distance from the mic; it is what it is. Of course you could constantly bend the mic stalk back and forth throughout a performance :) but there's an instance where hand-held let's the vocalist finesse volume -- and to a certain extent tone -- through both vocal control and mic distance.

This particular headmic is also not particularly unobtrusive, not like some of the small AT omni headmics...

In any case, likely better to troubleshoot the real problem first.

-D44

• Members

How did you get to this point from the symptoms that Joe provided? Wild ass guess?

I suppose it's a REMOTE possibility but likely, with a weak singer? Very unlikely.

I took "not able to get loud" as a GBF problem, not a wimpy singer problem.

Most every Shure I've encountered had transmitter clipping because the transmitter gain was still at the factory setting.

Archived