does anyone here run stereo acoustic guitar?

Voltan

• Members

id really liek to have the ability to individually place each string in the mix... yes? no? go play my drums? im considering the effect of having the strings spread slightly off center left to right, high to low (or vice versa), leaving the center of the mix for vocals...

?????

• Members

I play piano, which is a much broader sound source than guitar. In fact, to be realistic about it you need stereo and then some.

But when I gig, I've chosen to go clear, loud mono rather than stereo. Mostly for the convenience and largely because I don't think anyone cares.

• Members

Sorry I can't answer properly but iPads aren't allowed to post with pc's in hc land... This is what I'm looking for, a wider sound source with my guitar... I've tried explaining what I seek to no avail. Simply the ability to place each string, singularly, in the mix... From left to right with the middle position being vocals... And it may not be what I believe it may be... But unless I try...

• Members

Pogo, most stereo on guitar is a three and three deal... I'm running system that has individual pickups for each string... I believe it has midi capabilities and as such shouldn't it be possible ? I have six leads running to a summing board that runs to a mono, or basic stereo set up, to the output jack...

• Members

I don't see why you couldn't to that. You need a cable that breaks out whatever the guitar's physical output is to six xlr outs (ouch!) and then into six channels (eek!) and then pan them across the stereo signal. As to midi, yes it should work with that (or, at least, better than a mono signal) though that's quite a different kettle of fish than just spreading the signals across the room.

• Moderators

I really am not sure what you think you are going to achieve by splitting the sound of individual strings in stereo, except that the sound of some strings would be louder on one side of the room than the other, which makes no logical sense to me. I don't think this is the solution to getting your vocal into the 'middle of the mix'. Put some compression on the vocals to 'fatten' them up if they are getting buried.

• Members
Just remember that a Stereo mix doesn't hold its proportions as you get in a room bigger than your living room. So your string balance will be different in different spots I the room.

Beat me to it. I was thinking the only place you could even notice the effect would be in a living room - preferably carpeted. After that, people would only notice that their beer is empty - and the guitar sounds weird.

• Members

Not really... I'm not speaking about an extreme spread on panning... Just enough to open up the sound a bit... I'm not really too much of a noob to this whole playing music thing so I'm on to that concept of extremely panned stereo signal missing on the other side of the room, phenomenon... Instead, I was thinking more of a subtle touch that might possibly open up the guitar a bit... Yeah, reverb, chorus, delay, layering... Everybody does that... Just trying to see if there was a way to feasibly accomplish without the encumbering spaghetti of breakout boxes, multiple pre amps/ sub mixers and processors and a traveling full time tech... And I do understand the "thinking" part... Just more interested in the" trying to really see" , instead...

• Moderators
Double yay! I'm playing that old fender stratocoustic right now... It actually has a pretty nice neck...

i think I'll plug it in tomorrow and run through it properly...

I tuned mine to open G the other day, for slide...I was surprised how 'real acoustic' it comes across through a small amp...need to set up the 'PA' [powered Alto 10] and try it outdoors where there is no 'backwash' from walls...

• Members

D-Mack, I have a fender acoustasonic sfx, not my favorite but I'm familiar enough with it so I tried it out... Sounded deceptively different than I would have believed... Now mind you I'm running through a fishman aura ... Is that cheating?

• Members
Not really... I'm not speaking about an extreme spread on panning... Just enough to open up the sound a bit... I'm not really too much of a noob to this whole playing music thing so I'm on to that concept of extremely panned stereo signal missing on the other side of the room' date=' phenomenon... Instead, I was thinking more of a subtle touch that might possibly open up the guitar a bit... Yeah, reverb, chorus, delay, layering... Everybody does that... Just trying to see if there was a way to feasibly accomplish without the encumbering spaghetti of breakout boxes, multiple pre amps/ sub mixers and processors and a traveling full time tech... And I do understand the "thinking" part... Just more interested in the" trying to really see" , instead... [/quote']

fair enough.

I used to play a bit of keys in a duo way back when. On some of the patches my keyboard was set so the low notes were panned to one side and slowly spread through the stereo spectrum until the high notes were panned to the other. Sounded pretty cool on it's own in my home studio, but I quickly went mono after the first few gigs. It didn't work for me live, YMMV.

• Moderators
D-Mack' date=' I have a fender acoustasonic sfx, not my favorite but I'm familiar enough with it so I tried it out... Sounded deceptively different than I would have believed... Now mind you I'm running through a fishman aura ... Is that cheating?[/quote']

Cheating? There is no cheating...and there is reallly nothing wrong with that amp, except they are woefully underpowered. The 'FishAura' should have really opened up the sound from the Stratacoustic. I am seriously considering using mine in the solo act just for the appearance and the fact that it does sound okay amplified. [i am testing out some coated strings on it, so far not impressedd, but they were 'free'...can't name names, but a well known company looking for an 'unpaid endorsement'...from me of all people...]

I will set my SCXD on Acoustisonic and run the line out to the Alto Trusonic 10 to see what it would sound like...much easier than setting up the FishStick in the mancave...

• Members

I opened it up last night... Yamaha board, k10s, fish aura, set of d'ad phos bronze, fishman set to dreadnought/ #7/ mixed heavily to sample/ bass slight boost/ mids slight cut/ treb slight boost... All eq on the yammy set at midpoint... The jumbo setting worked for my ear as well with some EQ changes... The acoustasonic has problems in the instr channel... No fault of the amp other than needing some maintaining... Agree it will make an interesting stage addition... Deceptively tasty sound...

Archived