Demos for booking gigs?

msmooth

• Members

My trio has been playing steadily since last April. Due to our other jobs, the bassists other band, and our family comittments we only play 2-3 per month. We have a regular gig where the owner wants us twice a month, so that is what we mostly have been playing. It doesn't take much work to get those gigs.

We now feel we are tight enough and know enough songs to book some other places. Our town has a few nice venues for acoustic acts and there are some local winerys that also book. One reason that I have not pursued anthing else yet is that we do not have a demo recording. We have talked about doing one, but something always seems to come up and we can't get it done. This made me wonder if solo/duos/trios in this genre generally use demos or not? That made then wonder if so, what format to do the demo in, CDs or digital?

I am curious what you guys do and what your thoughts are?

• Members

I have been fortunate enough to never need this (lots of venues and little talent available, not that I am amazing or anything) but if it was me I would beg steal or borrow a digital recorder and have a friend video you at your current venue, using lots of different points of view, including from on stage behind the band. Make sure that lots of audience participation is included ie dancing, singing along, banter etc. then take time to edit it down to about three minutes include contact details throughout and get it posted on YouTube. I would then have a copy on my tablet and go calling at venues, get to see the booker and show them there and then.

I think the mistake lots make is producing a video that shows them performing in sterile conditions so that their sound is perfect, when an owner want to see how an audience will react.

All the best

• Moderators

Yes, today it is pretty much a video world, but youtube isn't necessarily where you want the 'calling card', unless you build your own channel. Facebook, probably a good idea..but also edit it down to where it will go on a 4GB flash drive [along with the 'press kit'/Bio/ Resume], and yes, have a copy on your tablet.

• Members

The beauty of putting it on YouTube is the link is so easily shared and if necessary embedded. Also whilst it's ok to leave a press kit, nothing in my opinion beats getting to speak to the person responsible for booking the acts and actually showing what you can bring.

• Moderators

I have found a lot of the time the person that makes the call is rarely actually at the venue except when they are busy...which is not the best time to go asking for a gig. Hence the flash drive approach...it has replaced CD/DVD-ROM as being the compact tool. For my purposes, it is helpful, but I am still not booking anything but private parties. When I go for the 'wide shot', I will likely have the flash drives imprinted with my logo [same as my current avatar] which is also on my business cards.

Steve...when are you coming to LA? It is January...NFL playoffs are over...where are you?

• Members

Steve...when are you coming to LA? It is January...NFL playoffs are over...where are you?

Am currently in a place called Riverside (just been to a drive in movie, who would have thought they still existed?) am heading for the coast tomorow at Laguna Beach area for a couple of days then will be in LA at the Garland Hotel North Holliwood from Wednesday for three nights. Is that anywhere near you? Are you playing anywhere we can come see? Or meet for a beer?

• Members

I don't like Facebook for two reasons:

1. Many people are just anti-facebook
  2. Your stuff isn't instantly accessible, one has to log in, or sift through a news feed

What about YouTube? Too much compression, and other distractions on the page.

These things can supplement your main promo site, but I don't think they should be your main promo.

I think an old fashioned website is ideal. Put the URL on your calling card and anyone can instantly get to your promo with no ads, no distractions, no clutter. Plus you can keep an off-line copy on a CD, Flash Drive or Tablet.

I've been in the area so long, I don't need much promo, and mine hasn't been updated in years. But if I were to re-do it, I'd have a pro video made with no longer than 15 second snippets of songs, lots of action, and some enthusiastic audience shots. I wouldn't want the video to be more than 10 minutes because club owners/managers never seem to have enough time to sit in one place long. The video would be on my website.

Of course, different towns and different targeted entertainment purchasers have different requirements, so what works in Fort Pierce, Florida USA might not work in Leeds UK or Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada.

Insights and incites by NOtes

• Members

I don't disagree with you Notes excepting that I think get the video out as many places as possible also I think ten minutes is too long. But yes if you are serious about promotion a unique website with a great easy to remember URL is a must.

Pogo it's in the seventies here in SoCal

• Moderators

Am currently in a place called Riverside (just been to a drive in movie, who would have thought they still existed?) am heading for the coast tomorow at Laguna Beach area for a couple of days then will be in LA at the Garland Hotel North Holliwood from Wednesday for three nights. Is that anywhere near you? Are you playing anywhere we can come see? Or meet for a beer?

NoHo is near enough...right down the 101...I will PM you my phone numbers...are you open Wednesday night...there is a jam...I'll drive...if I get back from San Bernadino early enough. Otherwise, we will figure something out.

The drive-in in Riverside is one of the last in SoCal...

Laguna in very nice; we used to play at the Sawdust Festival there, which is really just a high tone swap meet...across from the Festival of the Masters.

I have heard good things about The Garland. Maybe too cold to use the pool, though.

Yes, it is in the 70s today, and thanks to a recent rain, the hills are green, the palm trees are swaying in the breeze, I barbecued last night in short sleeves...in the dark...

Santa parks his reindeer up the coast and has a deal with the folks at Vandenburg AFB...

• Members
<...>. But yes if you are serious about promotion a unique website with a great easy to remember URL is a must.

Pogo it's in the seventies here in SoCal

And a URL that isn't prone to typos - shorter is better and make sure it isn't a weird spelling.

PS: It's going to the mid 70s here in So FL

Notes

• Members

PS: It's going to the mid 70s here in So FL

Notes

My in-laws live in St. Kitts. They have similar trouble getting snow to stay.

Pity

Years ago I taught a canoeing course in Ft. Pierce in January. Strange sliding through an ice storm in Pennsylvania with a trailer load of canoes behind.

fetch?id=31385206

• Moderators

One of the odd but nice things here in L.A. is we can drive an hour or so [traffic permitting] and be standing knee deep in snow...and then drive back and be at the beach...

I have pictures somewhere of me standing waist deep in snow at Yosemite [way up on the Muir Trail, near Tuolumne Meadows] in mid-July...

• Members
Years ago I taught a canoeing course in Ft. Pierce in January.

You may have canoed in the Indian River (it's a lagoon).

Fort Pierce is the birthplace of the US Navy SEALS and once a week I play at the birthplace of the SEALS on the lagoon. The building we play at used to be the guard house, and is the only one left standing. Every year the SEALS come for an annual muster and some leave mementos on the wall. This is our 7th year there.

Here we are on the deck:

x_Jim_cats_Mary_Jane_Clark.jpg

x_Jim_beach_Mary_Jane_Clark.jpg

x_lil_jim_Margot_Baldomero.jpg

It's a fun gig.

But no snow.

They have a kayak rental there now, lately they seem to be more popular than canoes.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members
That canoe sailed a page back....:wave:

Exactly. It was a "how to Canadian Style Paddle" course, which is all about precise and fluid movement of the canoe. We paddled exclusively on the Molina's little lake. On the first evening out on the pond in our boats, we were surprised by a shuttle launch in the setting sunlight. A memory to hold onto.

And we did go to your bar, Notes, and somebody was playing, but we were there to schmooze, not listen to music

Archived