Presonus Reliability Poll

• Members

Of course! There is no product that is perfect for evey user's priorities. It just seems that the harshest critics of the Studiolive are people who have not really used one much.

This is usually the case. I think that "critics" often are trying to validate a preconception (or purchase that has already been made.)

I do think that the point that the MixWiz is probably more reliable is valid. Out of curiosity does the OP already have a SL, considering one, or just knows a hot topic when he sees one? In other words, what was the purpose of the poll?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of course! There is no product that is perfect for evey user's priorities. It just seems that the harshest critics of the Studiolive are people who have not really used one much.

I had one in my shop for a couple of weeks and I thoroughly ran it through a series of tests and noted the places where there were issues. I was pretty thorough in my comments and I would not consider myself a "harshest critic", just very realistic in my expectations and requirements for my clients.

• Members

I had one in my shop for a couple of weeks and I thoroughly ran it through a series of tests and noted the places where there were issues. I was pretty thorough in my comments and I would not consider myself a "harshest critic", just very realistic in my expectations and requirements for my clients.

I kept a bookmark of that one :

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2778760-Testing-a-Studio-Live-16...-questions-for-those-experienced

I'm all for beating on the manufacturers of these digital mixers to get their acts together :D .

• Members

I had a problem with mine. A year after I had it, it started locking up, intermittently. Took it in for repair and the shop said it had a lot of cold solders. Fixed it for $300CAD and it has been working well. I really like this board. It is amazing and easy to use. I have even more confidence in it now that I know that the connections inside have actually been looked over and tested.

Love the board.

• Members

I have even more confidence in it now that I know that the connections inside have actually been looked over and tested.

I guarantee that they did not test every connection. In fact, it's doubtful that they tested more then a few and were lucky to identify the bad one. IF it was truely a cold solder joint, they don't exist as individuals. ;)

• Members

???? - One guy had an issue with cross talk. The only other "issue" is the muting when you disconnect the firewire or stop the driver on your computer. That's not a failure. Like it or not, it's supposed to work that way. There's no reason you need to do anything that woud cause the board to mute like that during the show.

If that's by design, that's a stupid f'ing design. It's pretty easy to knock a FW cable loose.

-Dan.

• Members

If that's by design, that's a stupid f'ing design. It's pretty easy to knock a FW cable loose.

-Dan.

Come on, cables don't get knocked loose when I'm working. If you are having a problem with cables getting knocked loose during a gig, you probably have some other issues going on.

• CMS Author

I think that "critics" often are trying to validate a preconception (or purchase that has already been made.)

This irony is strong here. I'm seeing a lot of validation by owners of this product here. To the point of rationalizing valid problems, and sarcasm toward those who question the product. When comments start to be directed at the posters instead of the product, something's up.

• CMS Author

I was updating the firmware.

I usually don't update the firmware during a gig.

I really didn't think you were updating firmware between Mustang Sally and Brown-eyed Girl. But it shouldn't be out of line to do this before a show, especially for a busy crew with gear stored between shows. I'd want to be confident that I could do so without concern that the mixer wouldn't be available or would take more time than expected to be usable for the show. When evaluating 'analog vs digital' purchase decisions, the value of the extra feature set has to be tempered by the extra time spent with soft- and firmware maintenance, and by whatever potential lockups, hangs, etc. might occur at any point in the use of the product.

"Unexpected behavior" is a problem regardless of when it occurs. This is encountered quite frequently in software systems and sadly is ignored too often by software vendors. When intermittent they can be difficult to troubleshoot, and it's too easy to rely on "couldn't duplicate reported condition" as a way out of solving the problem.

• Members

I disagree Craig. No matter the hardware, attempting software/firmware upgrade at the gig is just asking for problems. Even if it would otherwise go smoothly, there's much more of a chance the user is in a rush and doesn't do the proper backups, and/or skips steps in haste. If something does go wrong, there's also a better chance you won't have the resources needed to troubleshoot whether that be time or access to websites or other documentation.

• Members

The fire wire cable isn't very secure at all from what I saw. It's not like something more robust, even USB is a lot sturdier.

Depends - you should see the USB slots on the top of my machine at work - let's just say it's a good thing they're pointing up and not down or sideways. :( They're both pretty bad.

-Dan.

• Members

I'm seeing a lot of validation by owners of this product here

Yes, because it is a great product and we are happy with it! Who better to judge a product then the ones who use it on regular basis? When you start being critical of firmware upgrades and firewire connections, I think thou doth protest too much! I mean how are those firmware upgrades for the Mixwiz working out?

• Members

Yes, because it is a great product and we are happy with it! Who better to judge a product then the ones who use it on regular basis? When you start being critical of firmware upgrades and firewire connections, I think thou doth protest too much! I mean how are those firmware upgrades for the Mixwiz working out?

I think that being critical is an essential part of an objective evaluation of any product. If the reliability is not acceptable for my application, I don't care what folks think that have a MUCH less critical use.

It's just like somebody raving about how good a particular truck is but they do not tow heavy loads. It may be a great truck, look sharp in traffic, ride nice, have sexy features, etc... BUT if it can't reliably pull the heavy loads I specifically need a truck for, everything else does not matter.

• Members

I think that being critical is an essential part of an objective evaluation of any product. If the reliability is not acceptable for my application, I don't care what folks think that have a MUCH less critical use.

It's just like somebody raving about how good a particular truck is but they do not tow heavy loads. It may be a great truck, look sharp in traffic, ride nice, have sexy features, etc... BUT if it can't reliably pull the heavy loads I specifically need a truck for, everything else does not matter.

Of course! If a product does not suite your needs don't buy it, but these criticisms of the SL have gone well beyond that! Terms like "validation"(not your's) seem to indicate some sort of lack of judgement on the part of anyone who is happy with his Studiolive. I have been using analog boards for 30 years now, I think I am capable of deciding what works for me!

• Members

The thing is, the critical comments are a big part of what allows me to determine if it is or is not suitable. In the specific case of this product, I actually did some in depth testing and discovered operational things that get in the way of workflow but didn't uncover the kinds of things that others have here. To me, that's of significant value.

• CMS Author

Really? You're misusing the phrase, "Thous dost....", but the point was that you're jumping all over the mere mention of the reported problems. It's great that you're happy with the mixer. But that doesn't mean it's perfect. The problems are cause for concern, but nobody has dared say the mixer isn't worth buying, have they?

• CMS Author

"(not your's) seem to indicate some sort of lack of judgement on the part of anyone who is happy with his Studiolive. I have been using analog boards for 30 years now, I think I am capable of deciding what works for me!

First, please read before you continue to jump all over my {censored}. I explicitly stated the irony of being accused of validating a preconception.

I never implied you weren't capable of deciding what's right for you. But you are most definitely attempting to discredit any mention of concern (and concern is all I've expressed) about the problems reported. Do you have some sort of problem with anyone discussing these problems, how they might affect a user, whether or not they're show-stoppers for some users, etc.?

• Members

I mean how are those firmware upgrades for the Mixwiz working out?

Absolutely fantastic, in fact it's working out so well that none of my customers have ever had any need whatsoever for an upgrade. The mixers do exactly what they stated they would do, the functionality is exactly what was promised and the feature set is perfect at shipped with no on-going glitches or fixes required. IMO, this is the best kind of update... one that is not required. I also have never had a failure due to a firmware update on a MizWix... ;)

• Members
Absolutely fantastic, in fact it's working out so well that none of my customers have ever had any need whatsoever for an upgrade. The mixers do exactly what they stated they would do, the functionality is exactly what was promised and the feature set is perfect at shipped with no on-going glitches or fixes required. IMO, this is the best kind of update... one that is not required. I also have never had a failure due to a firmware update on a MizWix...
;)

You can plug MIDI into them and scramble FX unit real easy :D .

Archived