Today, is Randy Rhoads Birthday :)

AJ6stringsting

• Members

Today, Randy Rhoads birthday ..... December, 6th, 1956.

The first time I heard , "Crazy Train" on the radio, some friends and I were 420'ing :rastaphil:, being blow away, thinking Eddie Van Halen now had company in the Guitar God category. To many in my generation, Blizzard of Oz,, was like our Sergeant Pepper / Are You Experienced / Fresh Cream ..... Hard Rock graduated from Hard Rock to the embryonic child that would be reborn and defined Heavy Metal music.

[video=youtube;J5wMqsHDrgo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5wMqsHDrgo

[video=youtube;TiL165dL62o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiL165dL62o

[video=youtube;iuycZxtqxeY]

• Members

I seen Randy Rhoads in Quiet Riot once and over four times with Ozzy. Every time I seen him , he got better , by leaps and bounds.

I think his version of Neo-Classical Metal, would have been superior to Yngwie Malmsteen, because Rhoads played with more dynamics/ feel.

I love Yngwie, but if you want to get Yngwie style down, his first four albums say it all about his compositional and technical abilities.

• Members
I still miss him every time I hear or see his name. I cried the day he died and I still ache for knowing what more he would have achieved had he survived. I think he had an incredible future ahead of him. One of the great losses in rock music.

I was at a girl friends house, 16, full of hormones, while her parents left for New Jersey .... hehe, no one was home and it was Friday ;)

We were smoking in her back yard with the radio playing and suddenly they were playing back to back Ozzy songs. She jokingly said, I wonder if Ozzy died or something. Then after a half hour, they announce that Randy Rhoads was killed in a plane wreck. We both went to see Ozzy in January of that year, she started to cry because she loved the way Randy looked but I was bummed because I lost my favorite Guitar player.

He inspired me to learn classical guitar, to be more technical on the electric guitar, be more open minded about music, read music and to study theory.

Sure, I got influenced by others regarding technique, songwriting and compositional options, but he was the one who made me want to play better. I thought , "Wow", all my favorite guitarists are all dead !".

• Members

Have a pretty good story. I was living in Florida in the late 70s,& had read that Ozzy was putting a new band together in Kerrang,or Circus,and was pretty excited about it,even though I had seen Sabbath's last tour with Ozzy in 78',and they were absolutely horrible. It didn't help them that the opening act was Van Halen!,and they absolutely destroyed Sabbath. Ozzy's voice sounded like cr@p !. I was 14 at that time ,and it was my first concert. The ticket price for general admission(I was one of the first people to rush into the Hollywood Sportatorium ,so I was like 10 feet from the stage) ,was a whopping $8.50 ! So ,fast forward to Nov,1980 while I was on vacation in N.Y. ,I was in a Record World store ,and I couldn't believe my eyes.It was an Import copy of Blizzard of Ozz in a thick plastic sleeve for $24.99 (equal to $80-$100 now). I used my 420 $$ that I had on me and grabbed that record! I was staying at my Grandmothers house ,and she did not have a record player ,so I didn't open it till I got home to Fl. I felt so lucky to have the record like 5 months before U.S release. I made tapes of it for all my friends.Everyone was blown away.It was the same excitemient as when we all realized how incredible VH was. I ended up moving back to NY in 81' and saw Ozzy w? Randy at the Nassau Collesium ,and had a very good seat in mezzanine,right over Randy. It was mind blowing! He was an incredibly gifted musician.Wish I still had that album :( Unfortunately ,I destroyed it by playing it like 1000 times!

• Members

I was at a girl friends house, 16, full of hormones, while her parents left for New Jersey .... hehe, no one was home and it was Friday ;)

We were smoking in her back yard with the radio playing and suddenly they were playing back to back Ozzy songs. She jokingly said, I wonder if Ozzy died or something. Then after a half hour, they announce that Randy Rhoads was killed in a plane wreck. We both went to see Ozzy in January of that year, she started to cry because she loved the way Randy looked but I was bummed because I lost my favorite Guitar player.

He inspired me to learn classical guitar, to be more technical on the electric guitar, be more open minded about music, read music and to study theory.

Sure, I got influenced by others regarding technique, songwriting and compositional options, but he was the one who made me want to play better. I thought , "Wow", all my favorite guitarists are all dead !".

You're my age. I was also 16 in the spring of 1982. I had been playing for three years by that time, and Rhoads was one of my gods, along with EVH. I knew a few Ozzy songs, but I couldn't make them sound like Randy. I was in awe of him, his sound and his technique.

I was in our high school auto shop during lunch period, and on the radio was KMET, playing Ozzy songs back to back. Rhoads' death was announced in between songs, and I was in complete shock, just numb for the rest of the day. I climbed into the back seat of my mother's Cutlass Supreme and cried as we drove home. My mother said what's wrong, and without explaining I said Randy Rhoads died today. She asked who is Randy Rhoads? I told her he was a guitar player. She had misunderstood--she thought one of my friends from school had died. She couldn't understand how the death of a musician--and a stranger, at that--could affect me that much. I tried to tell her how important he was but there was no use. She could never know why Rhoads' death affected me so strongly.

Not long after his death, I resolved to learn "Diary of a Madman," one of my favorite songs of his. I got as far as the big showcase riff before the verses, but eventually abandoned the full song, as it had become like an elegy. I could not (and still cannot) hear that song without the memories swelling inside me.

• Members

If you think about it, Ozzy would have been washed up and done with out Randy Rhoads. Between AC-DC, Van Halen and Randy Rhoads, they resurrected Heavy Metal, when the industry tried to kill it with Disco, Punk and New Wave.

I fyou think about it, most of the 1980's Metal was born on Ozzy's first two albums.

• Members
If you think about it, Ozzy would have been washed up and done with out Randy Rhoads. Between AC-DC, Van Halen and Randy Rhoads, they resurrected Heavy Metal, when the industry tried to kill it with Disco, Punk and New Wave.

I fyou think about it, most of the 1980's Metal was born on Ozzy's first two albums.

I dunno man. Maybe I'm kind of a youngin' looking back, but if I look at the list of albums that came out in '78, '79, '80, there are a lot of real smashers there. Granted, Randy really flavored the landscape with his presence, but I don't think the impact of these albums would have been any different without him.

That said... yesterday on one of my Pandora stations, this old Ozzy tune called S.A.T.O. came on, and it's a pretty good one. And a little bit after the guitar solo, Randy hit a harmonic and yanked up on the whoopie bar a few times. So as Ozzy finished a verse, this "hoooooREEEwwREEEwwREEEwwREEEwwREEE" jumped out of the mix and I laughed and laughed. It's so 80s and so metal and over the top and probably unnecessary and I just love it to bits.

I do wish Randy were alive today. Even if he totally gave up metal and did nothing but academic classical guitar, I'm sure he'd be amazingly great.

• Members

I dunno man. Maybe I'm kind of a youngin' looking back, but if I look at the list of albums that came out in '78, '79, '80, there are a lot of real smashers there. Granted, Randy really flavored the landscape with his presence, but I don't think the impact of these albums would have been any different without him.

That said... yesterday on one of my Pandora stations, this old Ozzy tune called S.A.T.O. came on, and it's a pretty good one. And a little bit after the guitar solo, Randy hit a harmonic and yanked up on the whoopie bar a few times. So as Ozzy finished a verse, this "hoooooREEEwwREEEwwREEEwwREEEwwREEE" jumped out of the mix and I laughed and laughed. It's so 80s and so metal and over the top and probably unnecessary and I just love it to bits.

I do wish Randy were alive today. Even if he totally gave up metal and did nothing but academic classical guitar, I'm sure he'd be amazingly great.

Randy did have a vintage style whammy on a few guitars, but did a lot of his work on a Les Paul.

You need to listen to Diary Of a Madman and Over The Mountain!

• Members

I think that's why Ozzy is so fond of Randy. I am sure they got on well....but Ozzy knew Randy dug him from the grave. Not sure HOW (or if) he knew when he picked Randy...but it happened. One of the best duos ever.

I think "80's metal" probably would have happened anyway. EVH and Yngwie and some other players were already making it happen. Randy showed us it was okay to NOT copy EVH.

• Members

Randy did have a vintage style whammy on a few guitars, but did a lot of his work on a Les Paul.

You need to listen to Diary Of a Madman and Over The Mountain!

S.A.T.O. is on Diary of a Madman. Meanwhile, I always wondered why guys like Randy or Ritchie Blackmore or Dave Murray got away with doing crazy whammy stuff with a 'vintage' tremolo design without going horrifically out of tune. Even in the live recordings it seems like their guitars were way more stable than anything I've played.

• Members

S.A.T.O. is on Diary of a Madman. Meanwhile, I always wondered why guys like Randy or Ritchie Blackmore or Dave Murray got away with doing crazy whammy stuff with a 'vintage' tremolo design without going horrifically out of tune. Even in the live recordings it seems like their guitars were way more stable than anything I've played.

Before I got a Floyd Rose. I used to get chapstick - lip balm, chop up graphite from a pencil and mix it up together, Then would lube the nut slot, after stretching and breaking in a new set of strings.

Archived