anybody use cheap gear?

mbengs1

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I've never really been able to afford high dollar gear, so I make due with what I can. Recently pulled a Silvertone 10XL tube amp out of a dumpster, that just needs a little love. My most used guitar is an old Peavey Raptor strat clone that I've tweaked, and gone over. I make things when I can. Right now I'm also going over a Schecter C1+ that I bought for $50. I find deals, and items needing love, and turn it into good gear.

A man after my own heart. If you're patient and can spot good deals, you can build yourself an impressive stable of gear for very little dough.

• Members
I've never really been able to afford high dollar gear, so I make due with what I can. . . . I find deals, and items needing love, and turn it into good gear.

Good on you. As previously noted, there's a difference between decent gear that can be had cheaply and cheap gear. Sounds like your "sweat equity" has paid off.

• Members

I rely on cheap gear quite often. I've been playing professionally for close to thirty years and I've owned many different amps and guitars. I've never been able to afford "boutique" amps or guitars (I'd consider any amp even in the low-four figure range expensive), so I tend to have my eye out for bargains....and I read a lot of reviews. Three recent finds that have left me shaking my head in astonishment (in a good way) are the Epiphone ES-339 $400.00, the Bugera V-22 $379.00 and the Vox AC15VR $379.00. The Epi is just an really great deal....a mini 335, Burstbucker pickups, coil tapped volume knobs...The Bugera (all tube 22 watts, with a half power switch) is proving itself to be a fantastic large club sized ampl. The Vox is a close second...its a solid state/tube hybrid that has great tube tones and also has proven to be great for smaller rooms. I think that going toe to toe with more expensive gear, my bargains are right up there. I feel that its all in how you research and review the gear...have conversations and keep an open mind about the low price tags.

• Members
Why don't people who can afford a really nice Suhr or Anderson carry on about how good their $200 partscasters are?

Answer: Because they are honest and know the differnce.

I have a $3,500 Callaham - nearly a three-year wait for it - and a $175-or-so GFS Xaviere, along with a lot of other guitars spanning a pretty wide price range. Is there a difference between the two? Sure. Is the latter eminently playable and does it sound great? Yes, it does.

• Members
I think he also used Pignose amps in the studio

There were some people using Pignose amps in the studio back then, but Page likely was not one of them. I believe Zappa was the only one who ever admitted publicly to using Pignose amps a few times for recording purposes.

• Members

There were some people using Pignose amps in the studio back then, but Page likely was not one of them. I believe Zappa was the only one who ever admitted publicly to using Pignose amps a few times for recording purposes.

Pretty sure Clapton used one as well. I'l try to find a link.

Edit: Here's a link to a story mentioning both Zappa and Clapton using a Pignose to record. There are photos of Clapton with a Tele plugged into a Pignose on YouTube.

http://pignoseguitaramp.wordpress.com/2010/10/29/the-vintage-pignose-amp/

• Members
chief user of cheap gear

Page.jpg

These were garbage pail guitars when he started playing them, you would literally find them out on the curb and in dumpsters. So they were not the equal of a Squier more like First Act. I think he also used Pignose amps in the studio

Yep. Used a Harmony acoustic on Stairway to Heaven. OMG, how did he make do without a pre-war Martin?

• Members

Originally posted by billybilly View Post

Why don't people who can afford a really nice Suhr or Anderson carry on about how good their $200 partscasters are?

Answer: Because they are honest and know the differnce.

zzzzzz

your cork sniffing is boring and dishonest.

Your objection says to me you ARE one of those people with cheap gear who believes it to be the same quality. I'm no cork sniffer, I don't own a guitar that's worth over a grand but I'm wise enough to know there IS a difference between a $200 and $2000 guitar.

It can be lonely being wise.

• Members

I have a mixture of expensive and cheap gear. It's really just a matter of knowing what to buy. I know of amps designed by the same guy, one for $800 and one for $4000, and the $800 sounds better. $25 clone pedals that sound better than the $200 originals (you can probably guess that one). On the other hand there are cheap brands that I feel really do need to be avoided... Behringer & Digitech come to mind.

• Members
^Behringer yes obviously, but I've found the Digitech, DOD stuff to be very solid. (Some like the DOD FX 65 have become legendary:
) Some of the cheaper Dano pedals might belong in that category. Other than that I'm definitely onboard with your statement.

I forgot about their absorption of the DOD lines, I do have 3-4 old DODs myself.

• Members

There is a difference between a Cadillac and a Chevrolet.

The differences are in the accoutrements and appointments. Things like trim, interior, exterior, options, etc. Luxury options like moonroof, expensive wheels and sodium headlamps, leather interior, all the toys.

Mechanically under the hood, the cars are pretty much the same. The belts and hoses are the same quality. The transmission is the same, the engine is the same.

Higher priced guitars generally (should!) have better hardware and pickups than budget guitars. They may have better final inspection and setup (should!).

A high priced guitar will (should!) have premium pickups. The pickups alone may cost several hundred dollars. A $100 guitar will have cheap pickups that cost maybe $5.

Unfortunately you won't play any better on an uber-expensive guitar than a lower priced properly setup budget guitar.

Not all expensive guitars are high quality however. The thing you have to watch out for is expensive big-name guitars that are made like crap. I will mention no names.

• Members

why don't you buy one?

i.e. put your money where your mouth is

Is that an attempt at antagonizing me? You'll have to do better, lol.

For what it's worth, my USED guitars cost up to $1500 and they're very nice, I don't need to spend more but will if you say so. I mean, I often succumb to childish playground psychology.

Archived