Coated string questions

Notes_Norton

• Members

I'd say everyone does to a degree as they're thinner.

I have an answer to all your questions, stop whining and change your strings more often. They are not expensive.

You're better then me billy, i never worked out what the real question was!

• Members
Every two weeks when I'm playing on the dock.

It's not the expense, I wanted to be less of a burden on the environment.

BTW, I love the sound of new strings anyway.

And I've concluded that coated strings would be a waste of money for me.

Notes

Sounds to me like you have a different rationale and response to "everything" that has been suggested. And now, 7 questions to determine if you are an "Askhole"

1. do you always ask for advice, yet never take it to heart or act upon it?

2. do you have it all figured out, yet you're stuck in the muck spinning your tires?

3. after you've asked someone a question, do you tend to tune out when it's being answered?

4. do you roll your eyes and scoff at the educated replies that come from those around you with more experience and wisdom on the matter?

5. do you ask industry professionals pointless and mundane questions, just for the sake of getting an introduction or in the name of "networking"?

6. do you ask, ask, ask… and then constantly become distracted by your phone, rendering you mentally distant and distracted from the corresponding reply?

7. do you find yourself asking the same question over and over again simply because you don't like the answer you're being given and think the answer might change the more you ask it?

• Members

Are you sure the Elixirs aren't counterfeit? What part of the world are you in? I've never noticed a difference in wear between the wound and plain Elixirs. The stay sounding great for much longer than uncoated. Sounds like you change your strings every couple of days, so unless you like the feel of them you should use uncoated or you're wasting your money. Only brand new uncoated strings sound like new uncoated strings.

• Members

"Which strings wear out quickest for you?

The wound or the unwound strings?"

It depends on who made the strings. Fender, Rotosound, D'Addario - it's the unwound. DR, Snakeoil, Newtone - it's the wound. I can't remember with Elixir, and I only ever had 1 set.

My preference is for DR on electric these days, as they seem to be the longest-lasting, most tonally consistent string, plus they seem a little easier to bend than many others. I use Tite Fits mostly, though I have a set of black coated DRs on a Godin guitar synth.

• Members

I liked DR stings a lot when I tried them. The only problem for me was the packaging. I tend to buy a lot of sets at a time, and the DRs came in paper packaging. After a while the strings rusted in the pack (I live in Florida, close enough to the ocean to hear the surf on windy days). The D'Addarios come in a moisture proof plastic pack so I can buy 10 sets at a time without having them rust in the packs. Of course, not everybody has the same corrosive challenges.

Archived