Is Musicians Friend/Guitar Center/M123 finally on the ropes?

steve_man

• Members

When I lived in Medford , Oregon in 1992, I would have started working for them. But the band I was in, had some very serious substance abuse issues and I had to move back to Cali.

They were treating their employees great back then, when the original owner ran the show. Either way I hope GC and MF don't go under, the employees will be in a bad spot and so will some of their Families.

I really miss Daddy's Used Junky Music Store, those guys had the best deals anywhere, Mr. Hersh used to give the best deals imaginable, sometimes unbelievably great deals.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
lately' date=' I'm not seeing those great employees that used to be at GC... seems like a bunch of people who could not care less... [/quote']

I dunno about "great" but there has been a lot of variability. Some years ago, I bought a set of strings and the guy had no idea how to accept cash. He actually had to call another employee over. But at another GC (there are two in the St. Louis area and a third about 20 miles away in Illinois) a couple of years later the guy who helped me when I picked out a bass for our church was very helpful and seemed to know what he was doing.

• Members

About six months ago I went to my local GC and about 1/2 to 2/3 of their inventory was gone from the store. It looked vacant by comparison. I asked the manager "wow, did you guys have a record sale?" and he said "no, we just move a few things around". The look on his face and the tone in his voice as very somber though. They also don't have very much used stuff, where as they used to be a really hot place for that.

Maybe GC in general is doing alright, but my local GC seems like it's struggling.

• Members
About six months ago I went to my local GC and about 1/2 to 2/3 of their inventory was gone from the store. It looked vacant by comparison. I asked the manager "wow, did you guys have a record sale?" and he said "no, we just move a few things around". The look on his face and the tone in his voice as very somber though. They also don't have very much used stuff, where as they used to be a really hot place for that.

Maybe GC in general is doing alright, but my local GC seems like it's struggling.

The only one near me is doing ok. Not great but ok.

• Members

I know the Bridgeton Missouri one just got totally remodeled. Maybe they were letting inventory run thin before their remodel. The store is now more or less one big open room. The only side rooms I noticed were for lessons, the acoustics, the high dollar guitars, and i think a small room near the drums.

Selection of gear is not quite what it was. I play with flatwraps, and I had to hunt for a set of strings for a guitar I'm fixing up. Also, they had their straploks priced at $19.99, and I had to show them that the advertised GC price was $12.19.

Archived