Anyone worked with any famous names? Got any backstage gossip to share?

SusieP

• Members

These are becoming ubiquitous across the entertainment biz...and people are now far more aware that what they think they are saying 'confidentially among friends/peers' too often get leaked.

I was so paranoid about disclosure, that I didn't even tell my wife what I was doing. However, the day after the gig, people said they saw me on ET and TMZ so I'm pretty much off the hook.

It was funny to be at an event with so many "superstars". I concluded that while I was looking around trying to figure out who was who, people were probably looking at me, trying to figure out who I was. It was only after we performed our surprise song that they would have realized I was a "nobody" musician.

• Members

a 'nobody' musician wouldn't have had that gig...like me...:sm-drool:

Maybe my "nobody" was a bit too harsh on me, and everyone else in the trenches. We all start from the same place, and we all end up in the same place. Whether a performer brings joy to hundreds of people, or hundreds of millions of people it's all the same thing - a calling to spread joy through music.

You know it's funny, at the gig I mentioned we had about twenty seasoned local pros, working with a young lad who's sold millions of albums. However, once rehearsal started, we were all just folks, working at the common goal of creating great music. There was no difference - well except that he and his entourage got to ride in these really expensive matching SUV's :)

• Members

Did sound for Louis Price of The Temptations, Lacy J. Dalton, Kenny Polson (James Brown Band), Sonia Rao (The Voice) and had a real nice phone call with Bobby Kimball from Toto. EVERY one of them was down to earth, considerate and polite. The biggest knob-heads I've ever dealt with were local hero's that thought a crude attitude would give them credibility..........................not.

• Members

No one really famous but was fortunate enough to be able to play shows with guy who played for mega big acts back in the day and was in a band for 5 years with a guy whos band was singed to the majors and toured for 10 years opening up for really big acts. Oh yea ,, I did get to play a set with Gov Mike Huckabee sitting in on bass. Went to high school with a couple guys who rotated though the ~Rivearas of California sun fame. One of my peers from another did a hitch with hagar. Some concerts and concert series that had some pretty big texas acts. One of our road drummers first bands was the opening act for the doors. That made for some pretty good stories lol NO one really famous. I would guess mike Huckabee was the most well known guy but not for being a rock star.

• Members

I have been in bands that opened for many well known acts. I have a little gossip to report. We did a gig opening for Linda Ronstat that was a televised benefit. The organizers were apparently ticked that she submitted expenses of several thousand dollars for hair, makeup, and a dress. Also opened for Santana at the Greek theatre in Berkeley. It was a reunion show with all the original members. Story was that David Brown didn't have a bass, so Bill Graham bought him one, which he was said to have pawned before the gig. No idea if that was true. I opened for the Gipsy Kings as a solo at the Fillmore and got to meet Joan Baez after my set. Remains the most intense gigging experience I ever had. That led to playing some private events for Bill Graham presents. Also played a lounge gig at the Fillmore opening for Judy Mowatt , and on another night, Skinny puppy. They were so bad, the management hid in their office waiting for their set to be over. Ear splitting noise. Also, with a band, opened for Los lobos in front of maybe 50k people or more. Right in front of City Hall in San Francisco, my home town. Biggest crowd I ever played in front of, and I played well that day. As a soloist, opened for Tim Finn at the DNA lounge, a very strange place. Didn't play very well that day. With a band, Pancho Sanchez, Eddie Palmeri, Malo, John Mayall, Bonnie Hayes. Also did the Bone Bash at the Shoreline opening for Sammy Hagar and several other groups.That's all I can remember right now. Main thing I learned is that opening for a major act is a far far cry from being one.

• Members

Semi-related:

don't know if it was just me or what, but I have run into what I think is an inordinate number of people PRETENDING to be famous musicians. The ones who were the best at it were the ones smart enough to not try to be anyone TOO famous.

Was playing a club in LA once on a slow weekday and a guy comes in claiming to be Meat Loaf. He was so obviously NOT Meat Loaf that we felt we had no choice but to play along and see how far he would take it. Finally talked him into coming up to sing a song with us. "Everyone please welcome MEAT LOAF!" I think it was "Road House Blues". He was horrible and we got a huge laugh out of that.

One guy came into a club one night with a couple of pretty ladies in tow, said he liked our band, sent a bottle of champagne backstage and said he was Eric Woolfson from the Alan Parsons Project. My gut instinct told me he wasn't, but it's not like I could pick Mr. Woolfson out of a line up or anything....We treated him like he was (or at least not like he wasn't).

When I was quite young, (17 perhaps), a guy came up to me in a Denny's late one night and said he was Manny Charlton from the band Nazareth. I had no idea why Manny Charlton would be at a Denny's in bum-nuts Northern California in the middle of the night, and he had no European type accent, but damn if he didn't look JUST like him. Well, just like him a couple of years prior. Charlton had cut his hair short by this time. We sat and talked about playing guitar for a couple of hours. He actually gave me some good advice.

There was also a guy who came into a club we were playing in Houston, TX with two pretty ladies in tow and claimed to be Mike Porcaro, the bassist from Toto. I thought it was possible it could be him until I looked up a picture of Mr. Porcaro a couple of days later and saw that Mr. Porcaro has dark hair and this dude was blonde....

The best one might have been a guy who came through Las Vegas claiming to be Warren Cuccarullo, the guitarist from Missing Persons and Frank Zappa. He looked a lot like the guy (as much as anyone would know) and he had the whole city fooled for about a week. Was on the local radio station doing interviews, got all sorts of drinks bought for him at all the hot clubs in town. Not sure how it finally became clear he was an imposter, but at least he got some decent mileage out of it....

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The most famous people/bands I've mixed for are Wes Mackey, Janiva Magness, and Curtis Salgado. Only Wes didn't have a VERY strong singing voice, but he's 70 years old. All three were amazingly nice, even after finding out I was a n00b. The tour manager for Curtis was actually supposed to take over at the desk once he did a walk around of the venue. He never did and told me after I was doing just fine so he left me alone. I was shocked...

• Members
The most famous people/bands I've mixed for are Wes Mackey, Janiva Magness, and Curtis Salgado. Only Wes didn't have a VERY strong singing voice, but he's 70 years old. All three were amazingly nice, even after finding out I was a n00b. The tour manager for Curtis was actually supposed to take over at the desk once he did a walk around of the venue. He never did and told me after I was doing just fine so he left me alone. I was shocked...

I remember Curtis from back in the day. He was in the Robert Cray band, but they split before Robert got really famous.

Wes is indeed a very nice guy. One of his strongest attributes is the way his life experience informs his playing and singing. He's the real deal, and in fact apparently picked cotton in his youth. I can't compete with that kind of street cred, but I do play some of the same smaller rooms that Wes plays. In fact, if Wes is touring or whatever, and can't make a gig, he will sometimes give me a call and offer it to me. He's a class act, and a funny guy to boot.

Archived