Talk me through your gear

joeyowen

• Members

Here's mine:

Parker P44, one of the best guitars I have ever owned, sold it a few years ago when skint, and my Fiancee tracked it back for me and made santa return it! Humbuckers w/coil tap. Piezo bridge. Great whammy bridge, it really plays great. I have a 80s Gibson LP and American 50th anni strat and this generally gets more playing time! (Parker advert over...)

Board is the Boss FV500h, solid as a rock volume pedal with tuner out to the TU3, again solid as a rock

Modded Whammy WH4, changed to true bypass and an additional momentary switch added next to the rocker (a member did instructions here a couple of years back)

Digitech bad monkey which is currently in place of my TS808 which is buzzing for some reason, need to get that fixed!

Emma Reezafratzitz one of the first pedals I got after looking here, really drives well. The two drives combine really nicely for the extra push too!

Digitech TimeBender which I have said forever, completely owns. I'll never know why more people don't own this pedal, great digi delay, nice tape delay, and more fun pitch settings than you can shake a stick at, all for a third of a pitchfactor price...

Vox Ac30 CC, I generally go on music binges, from J.E.W, Muse, to John Mayer, The Killers, Biffy and I could go on... I needed an amp that could work for all of them and this seemed the best bet! I thought it would be a jack of all trades, master on non, but this thing really holds itself well.

• Members

photo_zps4bbb3b46.jpg

tu-2 > sd-1 > small stone > echobox > tr-2 > boomerang+ - pedals are just as enjoyable with the rhodes as the sg jr.

the sd-1 will sometimes get swapped out with a ts-9

i've got a dam fuzzrong clone that i put in front of the board when i'm feeling like fuzz.

occasionally a thomas wah will make an appearance as well.

amp is a 73 deluxe reverb that's been modified to vibrolux specs.

sg jr reissue

F578AE5C-E43F-4429-A047-367AEF98BFDD-510-00000214B8D04411_zpsd521b06b.jpg

• Members

I've currently been using my black Am Std Strat into EHX Satisfaction Fuzz, Korg Pitchblack tuner, Hot Rod Plexi, Crowther Hotcake, TC Hall of Fame, Digitech Istomp, TC Nova delay to Fender DRRI. The Hot Rod Plexi is an awesome pedal. It took me a second to dial it in, but it makes my DRRI sound like a Marshall which has been working well for now as that tonality seems to sit under my vocals in the mix. I also have more pedals that are not on my board then are on it. I mostly rotate out distortion pedals, but will occasionally change up my delay and reverb pedals.

BTW, have always been really intrigued by the Timebender. If I hadn't picked up one of the vox delay labs for 99.00 bucks I probably would've looked for one of those.

• Members

Lots of flexibility with my gear. Most definitely overkill, but I made the big-time over the past few years. I moved from the bedroom to the man-cave. :p

_DSC1795_zps39ae93d3.jpg

Mostly play the strat into the Peavey Cl30. Pedal chain is Fulltone Clyde Wah>Box of War>CC Hybrid>Jouster>HOG2>Memory Lane 2>Infinity.

Infinity splits out to a Barber Barb EQ and into the Classic 30. I use the BarbEQ for tone shaping and master volume control. The other output goes into the Fender RI reverb tank and into the Champ.

Sometimes I run stereo between the Champ and the AC4TV hiding over there on the left <. Ping pong is awesome!

Here's a close up of the pedals:

_DSC1796_zpsea3a34c1.jpg

The 3 pedals to the left of the BarbEQ at the top get swapped out constantly with all the spares at the bottom.

That's all folks. If I confused anyone, don't worry. I'm probably more confused than you.

• Members

BTW, have always been really intrigued by the Timebender. If I hadn't picked up one of the vox delay labs for 99.00 bucks I probably would've looked for one of those.

If you ever see one cheap, pick it up and try it out. Don't but new, the resale is crap on them (well it is in the UK anyway)

• Members

_DSC1796_zpsea3a34c1.jpg

The 3 pedals to the left of the BarbEQ at the top get swapped out constantly with all the spares at the bottom.

That's all folks. If I confused anyone, don't worry. I'm probably more confused than you.

Dreamy!

How's the satisfaction fuzz?

It's really good actually... I'm working on a review of it, and it really is a cool pedal. It's basically a Jordan Bosstone clone, not a Maestro clone as you might expect based on the name and the fact that Keef used a FZ-1 on Satisfaction, but it definitely can get "that sound" - so much so that when I first plugged in and played the riff, it brought my wife in from the other room to comment about it.

Another cool thing about the Satisfaction Fuzz is that it is mod-ready, with pads on the PCB for adding clipping diodes and a bass-enhancing capacitor. I'm thinking about ordering a second one and doing the mods to it for the sake of thoroughness on the review...

Anyway, short answer is that it's a cool pedal at a silly-low price. Go grab one! :)

• Members

I have two pedals: Earthquaker Devices Hoof Reaper and a Digitech RP-150. I've had a lot more, but I don't hang on to gear if I don't have several uses for it. The Hoof Reaper is the best fuzz I've ever heard and so versatile. I record everything with the Digitech now, and I don't have much use for various effects when I'm not recording because I generally play more straight forward when I'm just playing for kicks.

I have two amps: Marshall JMD and Lab Series L5.

I have a Rickenbacker 620/12, Fender Tele Deluxe, Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Lag Imperator, and a Lag acoustic. My bass is an Epiphone Thunderbird. I'm currently considering one of the Fender HSS Plus Top Strats because I want an electric that isn't black and I need more variety. Most single coils don't have the warmth I want (and don't even suggest P-90s. They don't have what humbuckers have). The Tele Deluxe has enough bite and twang to get by, and the Imperator has a light tone similar to P-90s. The Lag acoustic is the best I've owned; much better than the Tacoma I had. I find the Thunderbird to be the most comfortable bass, and it has my ideal warm tone, but can get punchy when you dial back the neck pickup. The Les Paul is my main guitar, and if I had a band, it would be what I'd gig.

• Members
There was a big boom in LAG guitars here about 6 months ago. What's the deal? Good guitars? Good for value? I haven't had chance to play one

I had a sunburst Imperator last year and traded it in part for my LP, but I got the Lag acoustic, one of the $500 range, and wanted an electric again. They have amazing necks that are smooth and just feel right. Sort of like an SG neck, but a little thinner. The T66 is an amazing value! I haven't had a chance to play the more expensive electrics, but I find the cheap one to be an amazing guitar on its own. I'm hoping there will be more hype about them, because they're fantastic.

I love the Tele Deluxe too. The previous owner modded it with 500k pots, brass saddles, and a new toggle switch, so it's quite the axe. I love how it mixes so well with effects and bassier EQ settings, but it can rock, be mellow for jazz, and punchy for blues.

• Members

I play a '72 Tele Custom Reissue (because Keith Richards, mostly, but Tele bridge pickups are my favorite sound).

Into a Polytune (because)

Into a Barber Tone Press (because I play fingerstyle sometimes)

Into a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic (mids scooped for a Fendery overdrive)

Into a Barber Direct Drive (for a Marshally overdrive)

Into a Blackout Effectors Musket 2.0 (because Muff with mids knob is the solution)

Into an EHX Ring Thing (tremolo, chorus, Leslie simulation, pitch shifting and more--the expression pedal does crazy things)

Into an EHX Deluxe Memory Boy (Analog EHX delay plus tap tempo = more useful than the Deluxe Memory Man)

Into a 1976 Ampeg VT-40 (because Keith Richards, Mick Taylor and Josh Homme)

I used to play into a DRRI, but it was too big and I couldn't get any natural tube distortion. So, naturally, I bought an amp with nearly 3 times the wattage. It was worth it.

• Members

I had a sunburst Imperator last year and traded it in part for my LP, but I got the Lag acoustic, one of the $500 range, and wanted an electric again. They have amazing necks that are smooth and just feel right. Sort of like an SG neck, but a little thinner. The T66 is an amazing value! I haven't had a chance to play the more expensive electrics, but I find the cheap one to be an amazing guitar on its own. I'm hoping there will be more hype about them, because they're fantastic.

I love the Tele Deluxe too. The previous owner modded it with 500k pots, brass saddles, and a new toggle switch, so it's quite the axe. I love how it mixes so well with effects and bassier EQ settings, but it can rock, be mellow for jazz, and punchy for blues.

Thanks for clearing it up, I'll have to put it on my list of guitars to check out, although I'll be honest, it's bloody massive haha

• Members

Into a Blackout Effectors Musket 2.0 (because Muff with mids knob is the solution)

It is certainly a better solution than the embarrassing tone wicker....

I was watching PGS videos of it the other day actually, I'd be happy to pick one up I think, a go to sort of pedal that type of sound.

Nice gear though dude, again, props on the tele!

• Members

I have plenty more stuff, but lately my go to rig has been:

Guitar - Home-made semi-hollow ash tele (duncan vintage broadcaster and alnico pro neck pickups and a 4-way switch). I originally made this for a fun project when I was at college and because people kept asking to borrow my Ibanez RG570 (which I wouldn't let them) so I wanted something that if it turned out well would be cool and if not would be OK to be a loner. Ultra cheap made-in-India neck, did heaps of things wrong in building (including routing the cavity for the bridge pickup on the opposite angle to what it was supposed to be), paid a luthier to cut the nut and it turned out to be a great guitar. But I put a lil '59 in the bridge position, then later ended up buying a bunch of guitars later with bridge humbuckers. A couple of years ago I seized the bull by the horns, bought a proper tele bridge and bridge pickup, and converted it to a real tele, which made it a hugely better guitar. I love it even more now, and given that I made it with minimal tools and my own sweat, it holds a special place in my heart.

Pedals: I have a 17 pedal + 9 loop loopmaster in storage at the moment (awaiting room to house them in) and a bunch of spare pedals. But I've been singing most of the time I play guitar lately, and because I suck at singing, my board has to be simple and cover the essentials only. Hence, the tiny all-Mooer board - bought back when they were very cheap (thanks Ren!).

Mooer Flex Boost - AC boost clone I believe, never played an RC boost, but this is a great OD with plenty of flexibility from almost no gain to moderate gain and 2 band EQ. Small footprint, covers my OD needs. Not quite as nice as my Boss OD3 which is my favorite OD with single coils, but close. Also stacks well with:

Mooer Black Secret - Rat clone which sounds better to me than my Rat 2, and better than I remember my (sadly broken atm) 91 big box reissue Rat. Covers low-medium to high gain well. I've always loved Rats and this one gets close to the older rats I've played.

Mooer Ensemble King chorus - I don't use this very much, but when I do it's very nice. Basically a CE2 with a mix knob, so you can be a little more subtle and a little less hair metal.

Mooer Trelicopter tremolo - This is hands down the nicest tremolo I've had the privilege of playing outside an ancient Gibson amp from the 50's. Warm, pulsating, gets up to high speeds but never super choppy. Lovely.

Mooer Ana Echo - supposed to be a DM2 clone, works very nicely although a little noisy at times, and I wish the large knob was feedback rather than delay time, because I like to manipulate the feedback with my foot if I can. Not nearly as nice as my AD99 but I could actually put all of my mooer board on top of the AD99.

Vox Night Train - I was ampless when I lived in the UK. I wanted a decent, low-wattage tube amp and found a good deal on this online with the matching cab. I've heard differing stories about whether it's class A vs. AB, and it's not as completely Vox-sounding as a dimed AC30, but it sounds great, takes pedals well, was a good deal, and doesn't have to be super loud to sound good (which is great because I mostly play on very quiet stages).

I guess this rig is a triumph of practicality over my previous excess. Super easy to transport, good sounding, fun and easy to set up. I love it.

Steve

• Members

I'm 50/50 on Mooer, I love the idea of these pedals but I where massive DC shoes so would have no hope haha

I am tempted to get th ana echo mind, the Prymaxe demo on youtube is stunning!

They aren;t ever going to get cheaper though, which is pushing me to rush a little bit

Archived