Reverbnation, and band media sites in general...

Gremson

• Members

Does anybody take it seriously? Do you think Reverbnation helps at all for getting your band in the ears of listeners, or is it just a waste of time?

I've always set one up for my bands, and it's no different with a new band I'm starting up, but I'm wondering if time spent maintaining and updating is worth it. It seems like with enough finagling you can get your band in the top 5 local charts without even playing a show...

What do you guys think are the most useful media sites to get an original indie/alt/rock/ish band in the ears of listeners?

• Members

It helps as an app add-on for FB for hosting sample clips and posting your show schedule. That's what I use it for and it has been very helpful in that respect. For everything else, I've found it to be bunk. The top whatever local charts is nonsense. And I doubt anyone has listened to our clips on there other than (a) people we directed there to hear samples of the band for booking, or (b) people who just want to spam the page with their own links to their page (which I never click).

I think the only people that go to Reverbnation are other musicians (or booking people listening to samples). Your target audience, likely the non-musician, is very likely NOT spending time on Reverbnation.

That's been my experience. Perhaps some far savvier than I use it to greater effect.

• Members

Reverbnation doesn’t do {censored} in my opinion. It’s another thing I have to update, it’s slow, and you don’t have good editing capabilities in your events. It’s a musicians site really. You know who had one of the better interfaces for Musicians was Myspace believe it or not but it was slow as a hog also. Facebook now will not allow a reoccurring event to happen. I was researching it today because I have a gig every Sunday at a restaurant and I didn’t want to create at new event for every new Sunday that comes up. The most you can do is copy an event and that’s about it.

• Members
So' date=' just for ****************s and gigs, if you were to choose to advertise your band on one site, or to give one media site the most focus. Which one would you use?[/quote']

If I was dead set on spending money on advertising online I suppose I would choose Facebook only because that's where I have the most certainty that my target audience will see it. For you, maybe that would be Twitter or some other site. It depends on where you think your fans likely spend their time and point their eyeballs.

That said, I wouldn't, and haven't, because I don't think Facebook advertising is going to have a whole lot of return for cover bands and new original bands. I think I'd try to think of a way to generate buzz around a gig. Maybe a radio spot? Maybe the venue would go in halvsies? I dunno, just brainstorming because you asked.

• Members

Grem......id say if your promoting an original group use them all! Some people dont use facebook, some dont use bandsintown......the more outlets the more chance of gaining fans. Reletive of mine had a christian rock band years ago..the only outlet they had was you tube at the time. They actually scored a gig overseas from it. They lived the paid touring rockstar life for a week....;)....I would use every free site I could, build a free site, and try to link them together if possible.

• Moderators

Here’s my thoughts/experience-

I don’t think Reverbnation is really of any significant use as a promotional tool to connect with fans. I’ve never heard of an actual non-musician fan using Reverbnation to seek out music. It’s fine for something to host music for booking purposes, but other sites work just fine for that so I don’t really see the point. It’s always seemed like kind of a cluttered site that’s a lot of work to maintain. So my take-away is basically “don’t bother”… though I’d certainly be interested to hear success stories.

I’m a big fan of Bandcamp, myself. Not in-and-of- itself to promote music, but rather as my go-to link for booking, to sell/give music to fans, include as an email signature, and so on. It’s free, clean and professional-looking, lets you set prices from free to pay-what-you-want to a dollar amount, gives you the option of download codes, and doesn’t take much from your sales. Plus there’s “pro” upgrade you can do for stuff like private streaming.

But as far as connecting with people, I’d concentrate on Facebook and YouTube. Also try to connect with online music stations.

I do miss MySpace. For a couple years there it was a really great thing for bands.

• Members
I do miss MySpace. For a couple years there it was a really great thing for bands.

Yes, it was!

For awhile, facebook was great for our band. Now it's becoming a big PITA to use, especially since they actually PREVENT fans from seeing our posts. angry02

Archived