is there such a thing as a fretless electric guitar?

samal50

• Members

what you posted on #21, from smoothboard guitars, they are only a few hundred bucks, but sold out of it. Their reseller Large Sound do not carry is as well but they do carry the Ashbory bass only, which I think is also fretless bass? Correct me if I'm wrong. I have an Ashbory bass but Id have to check again if it is fretless. LOL. It's been years since I last played it.

Is it possible to de-fret a Steinberger headless guitar? The broom.

• Members

How do you pull out the frets and fill out the slots?

I called Guitar Center's tech guy and was told it would cost $175 to de-fret a guitar, he'll remove the frets and fill out the empty slots. That's about the price of a fretless electric guitar from Smoothboard. LOL. I wish they'd sell them again even in small quantities or off ebay. They still have a running website so I don't know what's keeping them from stocking the product. There's some demand for it.

• Members

You can block the trem easily. Here's some advice. Don't ever take your guitar to Guitar Center for tech work. It seems to me that you think if you were to play a fretless it would make your play better? Playing a fretless guitar is nothing like playing a regular guitar. It's a whole different world. It's a learning curve because you are going to have to worry about intonation.

• Members

I think this green guitar has fret dots on the neck as you can see in the pic. It's where the frets would have been "dots". Look closer. Hopefully if the manufacturer would realize it to take out the trem or sell one that has and one that do not.

• Members
and why is that? you can remove the tremolo can't you? or don't use it. LOL.

If you remove the tremolo unit, the guitar will be unusable, because the bridge is built into the tremolo. You would have a large gaping hole in the body that nothing else will fit into to take place of the missing tremolo unit. A fretless guitar with a tremolo is sort of like a submarine with a screen door. With a fretless guitar, you aren't going to get much benefit from a tremolo unit like you would with a fretted guitar. You can move your fingers around on a hard tail fretless guitar and do most tremolo / vibrato effects. The one thing that you could certainly do with fretless guitar WITH a tremolo versus a fretless guitar WITHOUT a tremolo is a dive bomb. After owning it for a while, if you found little or no use for the tremolo, you could easily block it. But then, you'd have a 100 investment in an unused tremolo unit.

If it were me, I'd go with a hard tail model. The manufacturer will likely make a *lot* more of these as hard tail models. It will cost less. It will be less fussy. It will be easier to change strings.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Just wondering if a person writes with their left hand, does this mean they play guitar with it as well? I'm trying to buy my brother a guitar. He writes with his left hand. Not sure fretless guitars are available for leftist so I might get him a fretted guitar instead.

• Members
Just wondering if a person writes with their left hand' date=' does this mean they play guitar with it as well? [/quote']

Maybe. I am left handed, yet I play a guitar right handed. I've know of several people who play guitar right handed that are otherwise left handed. Mark Knopfler and Robert Fripp would be two such examples.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I just bought the green fretless guitar. One of the string is torn so how do I replace this? Is it done exactly as any electric guitars? This looks a bit complicated. It looks like a similar system to my Steinberger headless guitar.

Regarding strings to use, I'm not really too tech savvy as to what the difference is between thickness; will it give a different tone or feel? Does thin strings mean it is more flexible than thick for dive bombs?

also what kind of string is good to use when using glass pick?

• 4 months later...

Archived