DigiTech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor

Jon Chappell

• Members

This maybe an old thread but I found out a few days ago that the firmware 2.0 for the RP250 is already available at Digitech's

After trying it I noticed a slight improvement in overall sound and it finally fixes the 'tuner' issue that this pedal seems to have.

Sorry if this was posted already.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually run through the RP80 (even though it's a BASS pedal) and I think the selection blows. It's pretty much the same 10 effects over and over. I only use it for delay and chorus.

The RP80 is the old school modeling from DT. The effects and tones are very processed and fake sounding. Basically, it has nothing in common with the current technology other than the company and two letters..."RP." It is essentially the same thing as an RP50 which also sounds lame.

All the new generation of DT RP units use the "AudioDNA2 DSP processor." This includes the RP70, RP90, RP150, RP250, RP350, RP255, RP355, RP500, and RP1000. These all sound great by todays modeling standards! :thu:

• Members
The RP80 is the old school modeling from DT. The effects and tones are very processed and fake sounding. Basically, it has nothing in common with the current technology other than the company and two letters..."RP." It is essentially the same thing as an RP50 which also sounds lame.

All the new generation of DT RP units use the "AudioDNA2 DSP processor." This includes the RP70, RP90, RP150, RP250, RP350, RP255, RP355, RP500, and RP1000. These all sound great by todays modeling standards!
:thu:

Thanks for that assessment. It helps to put the whole RP line into historical perspective. I'm excited about the RP1000 and am currently trying to get one for review. The switches and build-quality of the housing alone make it very appealing. And it boasts the latest in the RP line of processing power, so it stands to reason if you like the 355 and 500, you won't be disappointed with the 1000.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Need help. Going to my friend's house for a jam session on Monday. Our amps are both out of commission :(

He has a GNX hooked up to his PC to powered monitors. I have an RP250. We would like to hook up both units (GNX + RP250) either to his PC or directly to his monitors. Is that possible? Any other ideas or configurations to get us to hear both guitars?

Eventually I will be buying new equipment. Reading the forums, I see that using an amp modeller thru an amp isn't the best solution. I know nothing about PA's. Any recommendations for a low-end portable powered PA? Example BEHRINGER F1220A 12" Active PA Floor Monitor (125watt).

• Members

Heya, I'm a long time FL STUDIO user and I also play guitar, well I have an RP250 and I need help, I was wondering if It can be used as a midi controller to say.. play notes on the synth VST plugins in FL studio? I know it's possible due to i had notes mapped to a keyboard (the virtual KB on the VST) when I used a detune/vibrato VST plugin but I wanna use it for synth plugs such as sytrus. Can anybody help me use my guitar to play the synth tones of the VST via midi?

• Members

then how can you explain the other VST i used showing the note played on guitar? it displayed the note played as a key hit on the piano/synth, may it be a a recognizing function of the VST itself? like pitch recognizing

• Members

then how can you explain the other VST i used showing the note played on guitar? it displayed the note played as a key hit on the piano/synth, may it be a a recognizing function of the VST itself? like pitch recognizing

Yup, that's probably it.

• Members
Need help. Going to my friend's house for a jam session on Monday. Our amps are both out of commission
:(

He has a GNX hooked up to his PC to powered monitors. I have an RP250. We would like to hook up both units (GNX + RP250) either to his PC or directly to his monitors. Is that possible? Any other ideas or configurations to get us to hear both guitars?

How does he hook up his GNX to the PC?

I'd look for line-level inputs on his GNX (I know that the GNX4 has them) and hook your RP into those inputs. You might have to tweak some settings on the GNX to mix the line-level inputs.

Eventually I will be buying new equipment. Reading the forums, I see that using an amp modeller thru an amp isn't the best solution. I know nothing about PA's. Any recommendations for a low-end portable powered PA? Example BEHRINGER F1220A 12" Active PA Floor Monitor (125watt).

I like the Yamaha STAGEPAS 300. That's stereo, 200W, good frequency response. It's about $600 new.

The Behringer F1220A ought to work fine, as should any of their other powered speakers.

If you're just doing casual jamming w/o a drummer then you can certainly go smaller. Something like the Roland CM-30 would be worth checking out. For that matter you could just buy yourself a cheap set of computer monitors.

• Members

Just a quick note about the RP355: I bought one to replace my RP350 (which I had been using for about 15 months). The RP355 adds a simple 20-second looper, a stompbox mode, nine new amp models and an effect based upon the DOD Gonkulator.

The stompbox mode is very cool. The three stomp switches control distortion, the modulation effect, and echo. (Yes, you do lose the A/B option while in stompbox mode.) Stompbox mode is toggled by tapping the middle and right switches at the same time.

The looper can do any number of overdubs. There's no undo and no way to control the looper volume.

The RP355 has some new presets compared to the RP350. The way I'd describe the change is that the RP355's presets appeal more to those of us who are into "classic" and "vintage" sounds. On the RP350 I found about 15 patches that I might use without change. The RP355 has about 50 patches that appeal to me.

Cosmetically there's a change from grey to matte black for the casing, and use of all-red LEDs in the display. (I think the RP350's green LEDs look a bit classier.)

One big improvement is that the tuner is very stable on the RP355. (I'm told that the latest firmware update for the RP350 corrects the tuner jitter, but I didn't confirm this.)

• Members

How does he hook up his GNX to the PC?

I'd look for line-level inputs on his GNX (I know that the GNX4 has them) and hook your RP into those inputs. You might have to tweak some settings on the GNX to mix the line-level inputs.

Thanks TieDyedDevil, will try hooking directly up to GNX line inputs with my RP. (Clarification, he actually goes GNX to monitors not GNX, PC, Monitors).

And, I will check out the products you mentioned. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Update: GNX and RP250 connection a moderate success. The RP250 volume was half of the GNX volume. We couldn't figure out how to even them out (not yet).

This is a major bugaboo with the RP250 for live use---the 1/4-in output levels are ridiculously low. This simply is not the unit if you need to drive power amps or powered cabinets to their full potential---and it's not a matter of up-tweaking the patches. The ultimate output level is just not there, there's no reserve. I agree completely with the GNX level comparison (above) and, if you ever get a chance to A/B the output of the RP250 with a POD XT/XTL, you'll see---the POD, even with the pads engaged, has a radically higher output than the RP250, if desired/selected. It's not an issue into a preamp, but it does not drive power amps/cabs the way other units do, including others by DigiTech.

Paj

8^)

• Members

I don't know about other Digitech units, but the ones I've used (RP350 and RP355) have output levels closer to guitar level than line level. This makes them ideal for running into a guitar amp, and perfectly suited for running to a board. If you want to run into a power amp, you're going to need something like a small, cheap mixer to boost the levels.

• Members

I don't know about other Digitech units, but the ones I've used (RP350 and RP355) have output levels closer to guitar level than line level. This makes them ideal for running into a guitar amp, and perfectly suited for running to a board. If you want to run into a power amp, you're going to need something like a small, cheap mixer to boost the levels.

Another way of putting it. Note that this issue also means that using the RP250 into (serial) efx returns, especially those without level controls (most!), will not be as effective as with other modelers. This unit really seems to be designed/suited for the front end of a guitar amp, mixer, and/or direct to computer. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, just be advised---if you're going to use it like A POD or GNX or GT-6, etc., into a power amp or powered speaker, a preamp will be appreciated. An inexpensive ($30) ART Tube MP works wonders for it and adds DI (among other good things) to the RP signal.

Paj

8^)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My Rp355 isn't recognized correctly by Windows Xp SP3. It recognizes it as Usb speaker so the netupdater and xedit give me an error message such as "The device is not founded". I follow istructions on the software page of the site.I installed RP355DriverInstall after that I connect it on my pc with no results!I try different usb port and different usb cable but I'can't solve this problem. Help me please!
Thank to all!

• Members

My Rp355 isn't recognized correctly by Windows Xp SP3. It recognizes it as Usb speaker so the netupdater and xedit give me an error message such as "The device is not founded". I follow istructions on the software page of the site.I installed RP355DriverInstall after that I connect it on my pc with no results!I try different usb port and different usb cable but I'can't solve this problem. Help me please!

Thank to all!

Make certain that you're using X-Edit 2.6.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

X-Edit can't load because it can't detect my RP355. Error screen appears while X-Edit is loading

th_81691_shot_122_185lo.jpg

My rp355 just arrived, and too bad........ the same problem occurred....:cop:

I'm using xp sp2. I reinstalled netframework, but that doesn't do the trick eighter. The usb works fine, but the x-editor doesn't recognise the connection with the rp.......:confused:.................... the current version is one 1.1 to go v1.3 i need the updater, wich doesn't recognise the connection with the rp.........:mad:.....................:(

• Members

Keep in mind that aside from the modeling component, you can always use the RP250 just for its stereo digital effects. And the advantages of a digitally controlled expression pedal include the famed DigiTech Whammy (continuous pitch shift) and YaYa (talkbox) effects, and the programmable heel/toe parameters and wah min/max settings.

Archived