DigiTech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor

• Members
...Off topic however, what I'm interested to know is, the ppl using this unit for live work and who need a fair amount of patch changes during songs. How are you setting it up to change between the patches you need? I was thinking of making cycles of "clean rhythm", distorted rhythm" and "distorted lead". I'm just wondering if anyone has a better approach. There really should be some kind of "activate"switch on it, as far as I remember even the Zoom 505, which is cheap and nasty has something like that.

Hi there. I've had an RP350 for about 6 months, and I've played several gigs with it. First (and I don't know if you're doing this) plug the output of the RP into the fx loop Return on your amp (if it has one). I read about this (possibly in this thread) and it makes a world of difference in the sound.

I've created about 15 or so patches for each of my amps - Tech21 TM60 and a Peavy Delta Blues. I don't really have them in any particular order, but I try to do something akin to what you described - having a basic rhythm sound with something above and below it that I might use. I don't really change patches in songs too often, mostly just for leads, etc. At the very least I've tried to have the patches arranged in such a way that a different solo sound is only one or two clicks away from where I'm at. Yes, the RP350 has an Amp A/B switch, but I've just found it easier to build patches from the ground up, and the A/B switch allows you to change amp models and EQ, but not effects.

Overall I really like my RP350. I use it along with my Tech 21 as a light, compact 2nd rig for when my tube amp and pedalboard aren't needed (or if I just feel like bringing something smaller). It's sounded really good live, so far, though I still prefer the sound and flexibility of my main rig. Having said that, the RP350 has a much broader pallette of sounds and effects than my main rig, but it takes a bit more work to coax those things out of it and tweak them, as needed, in a live situation.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
plug the output of the RP into the fx loop Return on your amp (if it has one)

Be EXTRA CAREFUL doing this. Generally, the pedal will then become your whole preamp section and your master volume control. Make sure the output on the RP is off and turn it up slowly, otherwise you may wind up with a full volume headache and blown speakers. I used to do this with my POD and it does work pretty well, as long as you are cautious.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
A second or less? Wow, I was more hoping for something like 7/1000 of a second, like the Zoom G2, it is 7ms?! Can somebody confirm that the RP250 is so slow at changing presets?

How fast do you need it? Theres definitely a noticeable delay but it is very quick.

• Members
How fast do you need it? Theres definitely a noticeable delay but it is very quick.

Well, I was hoping it is less noticeable, but despite that, I just ordered one of these units online, let's hope it comes quick. Seems it is quite worth the price (even if not switching fast). As for the speed, I was wondering if I can switch presets during playing without need to press a bit earlier...but, oh well :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Picked up a RP250 of my own at GC today, based largely on the contents of this review, as well as a few others. Am having a blast so far. I'm not the giggin' type (kids, work, little league, etc.), so this will work perfectly for my basement-only needs.

In this thread, or possibly elsewhere, I read that the RP250 was made in USA. While this alleged fact wasn't a deal-clincher, it was a "plus" when deciding which unit to buy. When I examined the unit, I found a nice "Made in China" sticker on the bottom. Being the patriotic fellow that I am, I was a bit disappointed.

Question: Was this unit ever manufactured in the USA? Did I hallucinate reading something about it being made here?
:confused:

• Members

I recently got my RP250, and I agree with you---it's great!!!

Also, mine has the "Made in China" sticker too...I was also a bit deceived when I was ordering, although I don't have the patriotic feelings (I'm not an American). FYI, I used to have a Digitech GNX2, and it was indeed made in USA.

• Members
I love mine, but you have to toy with it forever.

The new RP 90 seems to have a more simple setup. It does'nt have a usb out but I could care less about plugging into a computer. I might grab the RP 90. Just have to decide what amp to put it through.

• Members
Can anyone write how quick is the RP250 into changing the presets? Is it quick enough, or is it noticeable? Thanks.

Its not noticeable at all to me.But If there is any lag you can also use the expresion pedal to togle between distortion to clean,amp to no amp,and effect to no effect,etc.

• Members

I kind of stumbled on this thread by accident, but I've been thinking about getting a multi-effects unit for awhile now.
Oddly enough, the Digitech's are the ones I've been checking out.

I haven't tried one out yet, just online "research".

Here's the thing...I'm just an at-home player. Would something like the RP250/350 be overkill for someone like me, who never plays out ?

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but it sounds like I would be spending more time tweaking knobs than playing...........

But then again, the sound clips I've heard are pretty amazing.

A box full of amps and effects , for not a lot of money. I guess I'm looking for someone to push me over the edge and say "do it"........

or not ?

• Members

DO IT :). I'm a 47 year-old "bedroom" guitarist, and I love my RP350! Like lots of noobs I was interested in various pedals, but I couldn't decide what to try. I bought one of these, figuring that it would help me learn about effects, and hopefully give me an idea about what makes/models of pedals appeal to me.

I've been having a blast trying the various sounds, and I've also found that it's a great practice tool. I'm loving the drum tracks, the ability to switch sounds on the fly, and also playing through headphones with effects. I haven't tried "Learn A Lick" yet, but if that works I'll be selling me CD-GT1.

Find one used or on EBay, and you won't be risking many $$.

I kind of stumbled on this thread by accident, but I've been thinking about getting a multi-effects unit for awhile now.

Oddly enough, the Digitech's are the ones I've been checking out.

I haven't tried one out yet, just online "research".

Here's the thing...I'm just an at-home player. Would something like the RP250/350 be overkill for someone like me, who never plays out ?

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but it sounds like I would be spending more time tweaking knobs than playing...........

But then again, the sound clips I've heard are pretty amazing.

A box full of amps and effects , for not a lot of money. I guess I'm looking for someone to push me over the edge and say "do it"........

or not ?

• Members
DO IT
:)
. I'm a 47 year-old "bedroom" guitarist, and I love my RP350!

Well, the three of us could create the RP stay-at-home club. 6mmSid - you've got two years on me, but other than that, we sound about the same. I am no rock god, but could easily play 2nd guitar in a 3 or 4-chord band somewhere.;) Since other obligations (read: kids) prevent me from this, I'll stay at home with my RP250, and use the handy headphone jack when the spawn are in bed.

• Members
DO IT
:)
. I'm a 47 year-old "bedroom" guitarist, and I love my RP350! Like lots of noobs I was interested in various pedals, but I couldn't decide what to try. I bought one of these, figuring that it would help me learn about effects, and hopefully give me an idea about what makes/models of pedals appeal to me.

I've been having a blast trying the various sounds, and I've also found that it's a great practice tool. I'm loving the drum tracks, the ability to switch sounds on the fly, and also playing through headphones with effects. I haven't tried "Learn A Lick" yet, but if that works I'll be selling me CD-GT1.

Find one used or on EBay, and you won't be risking many $$.

SpinalTap

At-homer here too. Perfect for home use. In fact, that may be what it's best for: this and other threads contain comments from giggers who don't like the effects-switching latency and sound quality when played through a big amp at a high volume. I have neither a big amp nor a discerning-enough ear to complain about my RP250.

Once you and I hit the bigtime, we'll probably want to invest in separate pedals and pricey tube amps. In the meantime, this unit will fit the bill perfectly.

Thanks for the push, guys...you talked me into it !

SpinalTap- this is kind of freaky, the other item I've been mulling over is a Schecter Gryphon which, oddly enough, appears at the top of your "gear list"......coincidence, or synchronicity ?

• Members

Patch name(FADE BL)I made this for the lead parts in Fade to Black(Metallica)

Pickup-Off

Wah-Cry-0/99/0 Only used when toe switch is used.

Comp-CSCOMP/18/99/90

Dist-ZONE/99/60/80

Amp-900JCM/VTG412/0/85

EQ-SCOOP/12/-12/12

Noise gate-GATE/30/0/0

FX-MCHORUS/0/90/99

Delay-OFF

Reverb-LEXHAL/80/99/43

Expresion-VOLPRE-0/99

Patch name(BLKALB)Good for most anything from the Black Album.

Pickup-Off

Wah-Off

Comp-Off

Dist-ODRIVE/60/-/50

Amp-DIGMTL/DIGMTL/80/40

EQ-MIDBST/12/-12/12

Noise gate-GATE/30/0/0

FX-CHORUS/20/70/70

Delay-Off

Reverb-LEXHAL/50/40/22

Expresion-VOLPRE/0/99

This is a few of my patches I have written down so far,hopefully it will get you going.Also since your useing head Phones you might need to adjust the amp and distortion levels.Hope this helps.

I'm trying your "Fade To Black" patch, but I'm confused about the distortion settings. You list " Dist-/99/60/80", but I have 6 settings. Which ones are you giving? TIA.

• Members
SpinalTap- this is kind of freaky, the other item I've been mulling over is a Schecter Gryphon which, oddly enough, appears at the top of your "gear list"......coincidence, or synchronicity ?

OK, so this is off-topic but I've gotta reply. The Gryphon: Best $399 I've ever spent. Smooth, easy to play, and a bargain. I walked into GC expecting to walk out with a Yamaha, Epi, Ibanez, etc., as I had
Remember, the player does not choose the guitar, the guitar chooses the player (apologies to Mr. Olivander ;)).

• Members

Where was Digitech going with the naming of their presets? I'm making the assumption the naming scheme has something to do with the sound. Some of them I've figured out, others...not so much.

These in particular are a mystery to me:
BOOGIE MAN (K. C. and the Sunshine Band?)
PRIDE DELAY (The U2 song? Charlie Pride? Pride and Joy?)
HILLBILLY (Doesn't seem like a Hank Williams sound to me.)
JUMP PANEL
LA GREASER
ANALOG BOY
DER YA (Amish affirmative?)
KILLER (Jerry Lee or Iron Maiden?)
PERTY (I thought Neil was a drummer)
STEPPIN (Neither Born to be Wild Nor Magic Carpet Ride seem to fit this)
WOMAN (Living Lovin Maid, John Lennon, Helen Reddy ?)

• Members

Never mind. I assume you're working with just the unit, and I'm using "X Edit".

I'm trying your "Fade To Black" patch, but I'm confused about the distortion settings. You list " Dist-/99/60/80", but I have 6 settings. Which ones are you giving? TIA.

• Members
Where was Digitech going with the naming of their presets? I'm making the assumption the naming scheme has something to do with the sound. Some of them I've figured out, others...not so much.

These in particular are a mystery to me:

BOOGIE MAN (K. C. and the Sunshine Band?)

PRIDE DELAY (The U2 song? Charlie Pride? Pride and Joy?)

HILLBILLY (Doesn't seem like a Hank Williams sound to me.)

JMP PANEL

LA GREASER

ANALOG BOY

DER YA (Amish affirmative?)

KILLER (Jerry Lee or Iron Maiden?)

PERTY (I thought Neil was a drummer)

STEPPIN (Neither Born to be Wild Nor Magic Carpet Ride seem to fit this)

WOMAN (Living Lovin Maid, John Lennon, Helen Reddy ?)

WOMAN - woman tone, Clapton
PRIDE - U2
JMP PANEL - jmp...

the names aren't encrypted like in Zoom's units. Check the patch setting to know more about it. mostly the name either the artist or a description. might a little weird because you got only 6 letters.

• Members

I picked one of these things up on ebay to check it out. I'm a long time pro player, and the last time I checked out the modeling technology was a few years ago (the early PODs, etc) & I was not that impressed. I already have some great amps and stompboxes and I'm pretty picky about tone and response.

I must say the sounds in this box are great -- very impressive, and I can't really detect any latency. Many of the factory presets are annoyingly bright and over-effected, but it's very easy to tweak them to your preferences. It's also quick to get the hang of editing and storing the patches right off the bat, no endless menu-surfing.

I haven't yet tried the USB interface for editing or recording, but I'm sure that part of it works great too. If you are a bedroom guy or using it just for recording, this is a great little device for the $, no question.

However, I have a big problem with the design compromises that keep from being useful in a live performance situation, this is the biggest shortcoming of this box in my opinion.

First, the two foot switches are very flimsy feeling and you do not get any positive physical feedback when you step on them, like you do with a mechanical switch that makes a real CLICK. The treadle/wah pedal does have a great feeling switch on it, too bad they couldn't have used similar ones under the front two buttons. Partly as a result of this, it can be very difficult to get the unit in and out of bypass mode without accidentally changing presets. You have to hit both switches EXACTLY at the same time both getting in and getting out of bypass. If it's not perfect, you end up with some patch you didn't want to hear. And that's judging it by fooling around with it at home -- on stage in the heat of the moment, forget about it -- it wouldn't work out. It's not reliable enough in the switching to use live in my opinion. The only way to overcome this would be to program a "bypass" patch in between every amp or effect setting, so that you would always be one click away from a straight clean sound. Of course this kind of defeats the whole purpose of being able to switch quickly from one sound to another. Same deal with getting in and out of Tuner Mode, it's not easy to do it quickly without accidentally changing presets -- a hassle.

I realize that at this price point some compromises must be made, however I for one would pay a higher price for a unit that was more performance-ready. A true, hard-wired bypass would be essential IMO, if not that, then a dedicated switch.

My other criticism, (which could possibly be fixed in future firmware versions) is why can't you edit the function of the treadle switch? All you can do with it is turn the wah on and off? It would be really useful if you could use this button for other parameters like adding gain, adding delay or other effects, etc on the fly. It seems like a no-brainer to me and I wonder why they limited the function of this button to only turning the wah on and off.

Anyway that's my 2 cents... :blah:

• Members
In this thread, or possibly elsewhere, I read that the RP250 was made in USA....Question: Was this unit ever manufactured in the USA? Did I hallucinate reading something about it being made here?

:confused:

Answered my own question. Here's a pic of my unit:
RP250.jpg

And here's a pic from Jon's unit on page 1 of this thread:
RP250rear.jpg

Perhaps prototypes are made in USA, and production is then transfered to China. I'll make sure not to lick mine, as it's probably extra-toxic. ;)