DigiTech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor

Jon Chappell

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How do I switch between clean and distortion with this?

One way to do that is to put the distortion effect (or the gain of the amp) assigned to the expression pedal, and use it to regulate how much you want your sound to be distorted.. Other than that, RP250 cannot operate as the GNX-series, where you have a separate footstep to turn on-off effects, etc.

PAUL GILBERT---can somebody help me get a tone similar to his? Something like the one he uses in Technical Difficulties (Metal Dog).

Thanks in advance!

• Members

I have the RP350 and I really have to explain a couple things about it that made me get it over the 250.

OK, 1 thing. The A/B switch is great. It IS instantaneous, as far as I know, but you can't change effects like delay, chorus, or what kind of distortion pedal. That being said, you can have a COMPLETELY different amp sound coming from the B channel (or the A channel) so if you wanted to go from Metallica dirty to BB King clean in a stomp, you can(Instantly, as far as I can tell). The amp models certainly deliver enough "distortion" to deal with that. As for the Whammy effects etc ("Killing in the name of") I would see if it is possible to assign the WHammy or pitch shifter to the Wah/expression pedal instead of the wah. It IS a pedal. like a real whammy or distortion, I think. But please check it out.

If you want to go from a high gain amp with lots of flanger/chorus/delay/pitch shifting to another amp with just reverb, you might have to wait the second or so... but clean (DRRI) to dirty (JCM900 cranked) is for all intensive purposes, instant.

To respond to someone else's post about keyboard amps, check out http://www.thestompbox.net/ for his info on how to get the best sound out of a modeler... It is the reason I got the GNX3000 in the first place, and a wealth of info (although some of it might be dated a bit - might not be?) I just use a powered monitor (Roland mini cube MONITOR, not guitar amp) and it sounds great with the switch on the back to "mixer".

also check out http://www.digitech.com 's sound community for patches for all the RP and other stuff. I love this stuff.

good luck with your RPs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

How do I record myself along with an mp3 using my rp250. I hear both in the headphones but it only records me..(i've tried switching the recording perferences but then it just blows up loudly with static..). I have audacity..

would be perfect if I could record both and even add a second guitar later, but can audacity do that?

thanks. js.

p.s. any word on the rp500 fixing known issues like improving the patch change latency??? if not i might have to switch to the boss gt10.....tried the zoom g9...it has no latency, a nice gate, but the gains were just very average..

my perfect mfx:

software - digitech xedit

amps / stomps / cabs - digitech (vox 2nd)

dual channels - boss (digitech warp 2nd)

effects sound/control - boss (digitech 2nd)

preset changes - zoom

noise gate - zoom

outputs - digitech

why can't I have it all / everything I want for under 500? ha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The Amp/Mixer switch changes the tone that comes out of the unit (you can hear the difference yourself if you plug in headphones and press the switch in/out).

The Amp setting is suited for running the unit into an amp (so that you don't have double cab modeling going on), whereas the Mixer setting is for when running directly into a PA, Computer, Headphones, etc. (so that you do have cab modeling).

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I just got this unit, think its great....

Can anyone help me on getting the right setting to do the solos for song "rock you like a Hurricane" by scorpions its that old school metal sound.

If its one of presets great! if not please can you write step by step instructions to make it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

where can i buy the usb cable i cant seem to find it anywhere

It's a standard USB cable, one end is the flat kind the other is the squarish kind (sorry, not sure what the correct terminology is). You can get the cable at Best Buy, Circuit City, or Staples, to name a few.

• Members

It's a standard USB cable, one end is the flat kind the other is the squarish kind (sorry, not sure what the correct terminology is). You can get the cable at Best Buy, Circuit City, or Staples, to name a few.

the correct terminology is "USB Type B Connector"

And dwerlin is correct: they are easy to find. I have like 5 floating around my place. they always come with things like digital cameras, scanners, printers, and lots of other things. Good chance you have one if you search deep enough in your junk drawer.

• Members
I picked one of these things up on ebay to check it out. I'm a long time pro player, and the last time I checked out the modeling technology was a few years ago (the early PODs, etc) & I was not that impressed. I already have some great amps and stompboxes and I'm pretty picky about tone and response.

I must say the sounds in this box are great -- very impressive, and I can't really detect any latency. Many of the factory presets are annoyingly bright and over-effected, but it's very easy to tweak them to your preferences. It's also quick to get the hang of editing and storing the patches right off the bat, no endless menu-surfing.

I haven't yet tried the USB interface for editing or recording, but I'm sure that part of it works great too. If you are a bedroom guy or using it just for recording, this is a great little device for the $, no question.

However, I have a big problem with the design compromises that keep from being useful in a live performance situation, this is the biggest shortcoming of this box in my opinion.

First, the two foot switches are very flimsy feeling and you do not get any positive physical feedback when you step on them, like you do with a mechanical switch that makes a real CLICK. The treadle/wah pedal does have a great feeling switch on it, too bad they couldn't have used similar ones under the front two buttons. Partly as a result of this, it can be very difficult to get the unit in and out of bypass mode without accidentally changing presets. You have to hit both switches EXACTLY at the same time both getting in and getting out of bypass. If it's not perfect, you end up with some patch you didn't want to hear. And that's judging it by fooling around with it at home -- on stage in the heat of the moment, forget about it -- it wouldn't work out. It's not reliable enough in the switching to use live in my opinion. The only way to overcome this would be to program a "bypass" patch in between every amp or effect setting, so that you would always be one click away from a straight clean sound. Of course this kind of defeats the whole purpose of being able to switch quickly from one sound to another. Same deal with getting in and out of Tuner Mode, it's not easy to do it quickly without accidentally changing presets -- a hassle.

I realize that at this price point some compromises must be made, however I for one would pay a higher price for a unit that was more performance-ready. A true, hard-wired bypass would be essential IMO, if not that, then a dedicated switch.

My other criticism, (which could possibly be fixed in future firmware versions) is why can't you edit the function of the treadle switch? All you can do with it is turn the wah on and off? It would be really useful if you could use this button for other parameters like adding gain, adding delay or other effects, etc on the fly. It seems like a no-brainer to me and I wonder why they limited the function of this button to only turning the wah on and off.

Anyway that's my 2 cents...
:blah:

I use the RP250 in live performances all the time. The sounds that I programmed in are adequate for when I play small lounges going direct through a small PA system. If I do a big venue, then I use an amp.

That being said I agree with you about the design flaws. It is sometimes difficult to get both pedals to depress at the same time. I usually have to try three or four times.

I have also had some problems with the pedals "sticking" or not switching when depressed. This is very intermittent and usually clears up after a few hard stomps, but it makes me think it may worsen eventually.

But the biggest problem I have is when I go to hit the right-hand (right-foot?) button, I sometimes accidentally hit the pedal, messing up the volume setting. (I'm sure this has nothing to do with me having size 13 feet ;)). I don't have this problem with my other Digitech pedal (the RP50), but that's because it doesn't have an expression pedal :rolleyes:.

• Members
I agree with you about the design flaws. It is sometimes difficult to get both pedals to depress at the same time. I usually have to try three or four times.

I have also had some problems with the pedals "sticking" or not switching when depressed. This is very intermittent and usually clears up after a few hard stomps, but it makes me think it may worsen eventually.

But the biggest problem I have is when I go to hit the right-hand (right-foot?) button, I sometimes accidentally hit the pedal, messing up the volume setting. (I'm sure this has nothing to do with me having size 13 feet
;)
). I don't have this problem with my other Digitech pedal (the RP50), but that's because it doesn't have an expression pedal
:rolleyes:

I totally agree with both of you here about the design flaws of the RP250...and I'm not trying to push or preach about the RP500, but the RP500 totally alleviates the shortcomings of the RP250. It is the best multi-effects pedal I've ever used with regards to tone, functionality, and ergonomics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

hi jon,

i got the rp250,i installed the asio software and the driver.the problem is that my computer recognize the sound from the usb but i can't hear it.whatever the settings of my sound card.the only way is to plug the output in my sound card line-in.is there any configuration that i missed?

thx alot

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
From here on out (unless otherwise noted), I’ll limit my comments to the RP250, though many observations will apply to the other two units as well.

I’ve asked David Rohrer, DigiTech’s Guitar Market Manager, to contribute to this Pro Review, so feel free to ask him questions directly, and Dave, jump in with your own comments!

Before we power up and step through some presets, check out a few photos. Attached is a shot of the RP250’s front panel. The charcoal and brushed silver materials used for the left side of the unit and the pedal, respectively, are all metal.

RP250front.jpg

======

TEST GOOD!! (via gc dba testing...)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Never mind. I assume you're working with just the unit, and I'm using "X Edit".

Damn...I just realized its been a while since Ive posted around here but any way...yeah I wrote down those patches not long after getting my rp250 and hadnt used the x-edit feature yet,

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Anyone have the gig bag Digitech makes for the RP250? Impressions?

I do.

Basically think of it as a dust cover. It's big enough to hold the RP250 and the power supply, and that's it. No pockets for other stuff, and no shoulder strap (just a small handle). Also there's virtually no cushioning.

• Members

I do.

Basically think of it as a dust cover. It's big enough to hold the RP250 and the power supply, and that's it. No pockets for other stuff, and no shoulder strap (just a small handle). Also there's virtually no cushioning.

Thanks, dwerlin. I just ordered the World Tour gig bag for it, which sounds like it has better padding.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

i like rp 250 plenty,the songs on the link 2,5,and 6 are all rp250,even the bass guitar sound was played with my epiphone tony iommie sg and an

Ibanez s body type USA made.,and all default on the rp 250,i didn't bother tweaking the sounds,went straight into a beringer $39 mixer into zs sound blaster card,i used v30 m-audio monitors 15-watt from best buy,I am no pro by no means,just a home hobby player,I think they sound good,the bass sound really surprised me,it does something lose tracking,but isnt really noticeble that much,I didnt edit out any of the tracking loss's though,maybe you can here them icant here them when mixed with the rest of the music.I have art 2000 express,a vox vt50 amp(cheaper version of the vox tonelab brain which sounds good to,)a johnson J station preamp sim ,and zoom g2,I like the rp 250 best ,its easy and fast to use,all presets are easy enough to use and mix with other music,I find Idont have to tweak the rp 250 to get a good sound to me,range from metal rock,classic rock,heck just about anything you can think of is in it as for tone and sound,, Ihave had several people want to know what kind of amp i used,I do notice though,that the other songs on that link,the guitar was recorded from a marshall JTM 30 ,the JTM 30 does have a bigger sound,but if processed to make it sound more metalish,it to gets smaller,

http://www.myspace.com/window100

• Members

I am looking at the RP150 versus the 250 and have a few questions on connections for both. The 150 has a Control input for a footcontrol but it does not appear to have an aux port to connect an MP3 player. Is there a way to use an MP3 player with the RP150? On either model, can you use pedals in front of the RP with good results? I have a tubescreamer and muff I want to use with the RP. Is there any way to set the chain order of effects on either model? Thanks.

Archived